• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charlie's Deuce Thread

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it helps, I just measured from the bottom of the seam that separates the top from the back of a vinyl cab cover to the bottom of the loop. That measurement was 25 inches. That cab cover was taken off of a deuce because it needs to have the stitching redone on the rear window (and I'm converting to hard top cabs).

Charlie175

If it helps, I just measured from the bottom of the seam that separates the top from the back of a vinyl cab cover to the bottom of the loop. That measurement was 25 inches. That cab cover was taken off of a deuce because it needs to have the stitching redone on the rear window (and I'm converting to hard top cabs).
Thanks, I will look at that

HDN

If I remember correctly, the deuces use the same cab as the M39 and M809 5-tons. The M939 5-tons have a wider cab, but not necessarily a longer cab.

It could also be that it's an aftermarket soft top the previous owner got for it and its dimensions weren't quite right.

For taking the wheels off the truck, I highly recommend a torque multiplier. You can get a Chinese-made cast iron one off Amazon for about $80 and it'll get the nuts on and off without a problem. With the right adapter, you can even use a 1/4" drive torque wrench to apply the correct torque to the lug nuts.

Charlie175

Went to ACE and got some of the pipe insulation. Put it on the cab frame and bows. It did take up some slack and should help with any wear points.
Decided to remove the bed sides. Each side is held on in the stakes by 2 bolts per side. I had enough grunt to pick it up and laid it down on the bed. Then I used my tractor to remove them as I need to work on some of the pockets. A M756 owner pointed out that my gin poles are cut down about 2' or so. I thought I was just missing the ends :(
The PO also tacked the rear roller to keep it from rolling as they mounted the step ladder to it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Went to ACE and got some of the pipe insulation. Put it on the cab frame and bows. It did take up some slack and should help with any wear points.
Decided to remove the bed sides. Each side is held on in the stakes by 2 bolts per side. I had enough grunt to pick it up and laid it down on the bed. Then I used my tractor to remove them as I need to work on some of the pockets. A M756 owner pointed out that my gin poles are cut down about 2' or so. I thought I was just missing the ends :(
The PO also tacked the rear roller to keep it from rolling as they mounted the step ladder to it.

Heck of a plan! Using the pipe insulation to take up some of the slack in your cover really is neat. AND it stops the potential for a rub spot in the canvas. Nice. That is definitely thinking outside of the box for sure.

dmetalmiki

I just noticed you have a HUGE piece of land there.
If that was I (we) here, we'd have a frame, shed, hut, garage, workshop built overnight for that truck......Well you get the gist...

Charlie175

I just noticed you have a HUGE piece of land there.
If that was I (we) here, we'd have a frame, shed, hut, garage, workshop built overnight for that truck......Well you get the gist...
I have a 2 acre lot here in Town, I do have a 20x24 workshop but the door is 16'x8' so it is too short for the Deuce. The other shed I have is full of tractors :) Been wanting to build a bigger workshop but prices for materials have jumped way up!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm not sure where to offer for a place to capture the "gunk" but if you have a pressure washer and a water hose from the bottom of your water heater - you could be clean in fairly short order. The best offer I have is several bags of floor dry under the axle. That would soak up the nasty and all you need to do is dispose of the rest... It might be worth spraying "Simple Green" or some other degreaser before you start. Need to be sure you are using only hot water - so squirt some in the grass until it heats up.

Other choice is 4 or 5 cans of Brake Parts Cleaner (BPC). That will eventually do the job. Funny (but not really laughing) how the BPC will clean the shoes - then a few hours later the oil will float back to the surface. Almost like on a shampoo bottle: Rinse, Lather Repeat. Only it will be BPC, take a break and do it again. This method is a little easier to dispose of the mess...

Charlie175

I was going to soak it in my normal solution:
Super clean and let it soak. Use a brush to knock off the crud.
All else fails use Gasoline.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
A spray bottle of Dawn is the best, just loosens all the grease and oil. I used newspapers and Dawn and a simple HF spray cleaner, worked really good.
Yours is not so bad, Mine was worse

Don't use stuff that killsthings, not necessary.

Attachments

HDN

A spray bottle of Dawn is the best, just loosens all the grease and oil. I used newspapers and Dawn and a simple HF spray cleaner, worked really good.
Yours is not so bad, Mine was worse

Don't use stuff that killsthings, not necessary.

Good thought! One concern I'd have with brake parts cleaner is destroying the rubber seals on either end of the brake cylinder. At least Dawn dish soap won't do that!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks