• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap eBay LEDs - The Install

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up front and rear LEDs for my deuce at a very good price from eBay last week. They both arrived from different sellers on Friday, but I have been busy until today. Soldier B returned from his court ordered birth mother visitation and I was happy to have his assistance again. It's been a long three weeks wrenching solo.

We started with the front since I had already heard the buckets needed to be gutted and the new lights may not line up in my old plastic buckets. As you will see in the pics, they didn't. The middle two screws are off so we used TAN RTV to seal the holes. The gasket probably won't seal the bucket completely from water. I thought of attempting to seal it with RTV, but we decided to drill a hole in the bottom for drainage. I will probably buy another CHEAP set in case that bright idea fails. For the ground I simply used a butt conector wrapped in tape and installed like the old lights were.

The rear was plug and play except for my civie wiring harness. It comes with the short section of wire and round connector you need. When I installed the flat four civie wiring I decided to tap into the tail light wiring vice the truck wiring. My thought was (and still is) I would rather have a wiring problem on the tail light side instead of the truck side.

Having a vice on the bumper and an organized tool box mounted to the truck made things go quickly.

Soldier B traced the wires, figured out the numbers and marked them with colored zip ties. In the rear he had to also keep track for the trailer wiring.

I gutted the 1st bucket to show him how to do it and I also unplugged each wire and reconnected them myself. I trust he could have done it, but if anything were to break on the disconnect I wanted it to be on me. Also I wanted to make SURE each wire was properly connected for the safety of those I share the roads with.

I do not know which flasher my truck has. If someone needs me to check, LMK where to look and I'll get a pic. The truck has nothing else new or fancy so I'm guessing it has the old flasher.

Very happy with the results.

Attachments

Last edited:

Billy Bobbed

Mine did the same thing not lining up on one of my fronts,its plastic to.The front leds look to be sealed so I left it alone with 3 screws.Ill find a aluminum one one day to replace the plactic.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your flasher unit should be mounted on the inside of your drivers side wheel well, toward the rear. It will have 3 wires in the screw on connector. One of those wires should have a ring terminal, it's the ground and should be on one of the two mounting bolts. There are a couple versions, they are all black(unless they have been painted over.

here's a link to Saturn Surplus, flasher unit. http://saturnsurplus.com/electrical/3706.htm

For tapping into the tail light wires, you could buy some wye fittings . They sell them at Saturn Surplus. then you do not need to cut any wires. It obviously costs more to buy parts, than splice as you did. just a suggestion.

here's a link to Saturn Surplus, electrical wire splitter. http://saturnsurplus.com/electrical/adpt.htm

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH - I didn't splice them but used those cheap clamp connectors. Redneck, I know. I wrapped them good in tape but I'll order the proper connectors and do it right. Thanks for the tip.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the most common tee connectors. adpt Unfortunately they are female on all sides. I've used the piece that goes through the headlight bucket to adapt 2 males together. I'm always watching ebay and I've accumulated all kinds of little leads and adapters that I use for this kind of stuff.

Billy Bobbed

These are the most common tee connectors. adpt Unfortunately they are female on all sides. I've used the piece that goes through the headlight bucket to adapt 2 males together. I'm always watching ebay and I've accumulated all kinds of little leads and adapters that I use for this kind of stuff.

Im hoping that is a male Y connector I ordered 4 from them.And 8,6" female to female ends.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the night shots. The turn signals and brake lights are F ing BRIGHT. Black out lights seem to work right, though I don't know what they should look like. I took pics with the black outs in both positions. I think I want to mod my fronts to turn on with the headlights as running lights, though they may be too bright for that.

The two small lights in the rear is a Walmart chrome skull that goes in the receiver. It's been painted tan and the blown leds replaced with 24 volt bulbs. All my tests today were with it disconnected so I know the LEDs work without a bulb or other load in the system.

And for your enjoyment a few pics from camp this weekend. The guy with the van is smiling because he spent the night stuck sideways in the parking lot and I just pulled him out.

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's where your flasher unit should be.
I'll get a pic of which one I have so we know if these are the improved-work-with-anything LEDs or somehow I got a new flasher.

My truck was last used on an exercise in 2004. I wonder when the new flashers came out?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks