• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check how your tires are mounted

RJTM998

Be sure you check how your tires are mounted. Mine were on backwards. The Goodyears are directional tires and go a certain way. The pictures shown are WRONG. The tread pattern is supposed to go in the opposite direction. Running them like this can damage the tire by breaking belts in the tire. They also will not handle correctly.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Be sure you check how your tires are mounted. Mine were on backwards. The Goodyears are directional tires and go a certain way. The pictures shown are WRONG. The tread pattern is supposed to go in the opposite direction. Running them like this can damage the tire by breaking belts in the tire. They also will not handle correctly.
They are Uni-Directional. It doesn't matter which way they are mounted.

Action

They are non-directional tires. I always mount mine the way they cone out of ANG....with the date code on the outside.
I had a nanager at a Tire Discounters argue with me that i didnt know what i was talking about and that two of my tires were vackwards. I took my business elsewhere.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
You might be on to something. Point us to your data, link or ???

Mine are all which way, LOL

This way one doesn't know if I am coming or going, CAMO

RJTM998

You might be on to something. Point us to your data, link or ???

Mine are all which way, LOL

This way one doesn't know if I am coming or going, CAMO
They are actually asymmetrical more so than directional. I guess I stand corrected you can mount either way if you choose. However I feel any asymmetrical tire should be ran with pattern in same direction for the best wear and performance.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think what everyone is saying is that you stumbled onto something everyone already knows and is not concerned about because virtually every HMMWV with Goodyear's have mixed tread "directions" always have and probably always will.
I try to run ANY radial tire in the direction it was originally installed as (if known) because early belt separation on radials was blamed on reversing the direction, why it is normal to rotate tires front to back and not crossed to this day...

Action

I think what everyone is saying is that you stumbled onto something everyone already knows and is not concerned about because virtually every HMMWV with Goodyear's have mixed tread "directions" always have and probably always will.
I try to run ANY radial tire in the direction it was originally installed as (if known) because early belt separation on radials was blamed on reversing the direction, why it is normal to rotate tires front to back and not crossed to this day...
What is this "rotate" thing you speak of? :D

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is this "rotate" thing you speak of? :D
I installed mine so they all rotate in the same direction lol…but seriously, I did try a few combinations of the arrows pattern to point two to front two to back, matched diagonally, but in the end it felt that when all four tires have the arrow pattern pointing to the front (just like in that GoodYear datasheet and opposite than the first two pictures) there was the least vibration and road/ tire noise. (btw, I built, re-build, installed and swapped the tires about 2 cases of beer worth :)

Last edited:

Action

I installed mine so they all rotate in the same direction lol…but seriously, I did try a few combinations of the arrows pattern to point two to front two to back, matched diagonally, but in the end it felt that when all four tires have the arrow pattern pointing to the front (just like in that GoodYear datasheet and opposite than the first two pictures) there was the least vibration and road/ tire noise. (btw, I built, re-build, installed and swapped the tires about 2 cases of beer worth :)
That could just be the placebo effect. That is the result you wanted. Did you use scientific equipment to test vibration and a db meter to check noise levels?

Action

Did you also pull, flip, and reinstall the runflats each time? So the notches always faced out. Or just flipped the rim around?

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two cases of beer and any combination sounds and feels better :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are unidirectional as noted, but the reason why they aren't mounted for the tread all facing the same direction have to do with the date code on the tire is only on one side, so usually the tire gets mounted with that side facing out.

blutow

For what it's worth, the current goodyear MT "enforcer" has bidirectional tread, so they are the same either way you put them on. I put date codes out, but it doesn't matter.

For the older style, I would have all the "arrows" facing forward (on bottom of tire). It's not going to be a big deal if you don't, but you will get marginally better traction with the way goodyear recommends they be installed. That arrow tread concept is pretty common in offroad tires (auto, moto, bike, etc.) and you want the tread "squeezing" dirt/mud between the lugs in low traction situations, not pushing it outwards. The 2 adjacent lugs in the center almost act like a funnel and you want the open/wide side of the funnel grabbing dirt/mud. Again, this is all marginal stuff, not substantial. Having the treads facing opposite directions would drive me a little crazy, but it's not going to make a significant difference on an unrefined vehicle like a hmmwv.

Here's a pic of the tread on the newer MT's.

1655219933891.png

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you also pull, flip, and reinstall the runflats each time? So the notches always faced out. Or just flipped the rim around?
Absolutely, the notches always face out, and the rim is rotated such as the notch is within 1/8” of the valves (the notches are not exactly180 degrees apart so I have to mark which is the exact location so it matches also the balancing- either the red or yellow dot combined with the high/ low runout on the cap - like blutow mentioned, most likely it doesn’t make a big difference, but it’s easier to do the extra work than to fight my OCD - including having all the tires patterns matching in the same direction: :) Those notches alone were a case of beer by itself lol

One thing I figured out was that installing two notches on the date code side and two on the opposite side allows all permutations of diagonally matching patterns plus having all tires arrow patterns facing all in either direction, towards the back or front of the truck (ended up with all tire arrows facing towards the front of the truck).

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX

springer1981

Just an FYI but any Directional tire will have an arrow on the side and it will be labeled something like "Tire Rotation".

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an FYI but any Directional tire will have an arrow on the side and it will be labeled something like "Tire Rotation".
Yes, I heard about that and looked on both sides of the tires, but couldn’t find anything indicating direction. I have Wrangler MTs made in 2020

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are actually asymmetrical more so than directional. I guess I stand corrected you can mount either way if you choose. However I feel any asymmetrical tire should be ran with pattern in same direction for the best wear and performance.
So i guess rotating them would be outta the question... That doesn't help tread wear :LOL::ROFLMAO:

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had already intended to rotate the tires in an X, but that will definitely require remounting to keep them rotating in the same direction and even out the wear from the rear camber.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks