• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check your Driveshaft phasing on FMTVs!!

oboyjohn

Seen this many times up here in Canada. One group of guys working on a HLVW 10 ton couldn't figure out why the T/case was wobbling back and forth. I took a quick look and the main drive shaft to the first rear axle was out of phase by a few spline teeth.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgive my ignorance, as im not familiar with these trucks, but do they not have a keyed spline? On the driveshafts I've had apart (1 ton and down) there is usually a wide spline that fits a matching space in the other half.

oboyjohn

Hi Eric.
No, they do not have a keyed or master spline. Quite often I have seen them out by 90 degrees, but not too often by a few spline teeth. I learned early in my career to ALWAYS mark a drive shaft before taking it apart. If not, not only will it be out of phase but also out of balance, which will destroy a drive shaft in short order.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Eric.
No, they do not have a keyed or master spline. Quite often I have seen them out by 90 degrees, but not too often by a few spline teeth. I learned early in my career to ALWAYS mark a drive shaft before taking it apart. If not, not only will it be out of phase but also out of balance, which will destroy a drive shaft in short order.
Ok. Seems odd that they aren't keyed. I've always marked my driveshafts, as well. Just because.