• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

checking in from FT Hood by way of Afghanistan

HETvet

hey there guys and gals. I hope ya'll are having a great day.

I am currently serving on deployment in Afghanistan, but have been at Ft. Hood for about 7 years now. I have 3 children and a beautiful loving wife. by MOS im an 88M, but I have been in a H.E.T unit for the past 5 almost 6 years. I currently am an ASE master service technician with additional certifications in level 2 diesel engine powertrain. I also hold an AS degree in automotive service technologies, and have my NISSAN PRO-CAP certification. I have studied a little bit in thermodynamics and fluid-dynamics. that being said, I have some crazy ideas in my head, and would love to put them in to play, if the finances would allow me to.

while in school, I also studied kinesiology and sports nutrition, though not a degree holder by any means.

being originally from Florida, and a bit of a country boy growing up; I love being out doors. fishing and hunting and all things involved are a great way to relive stress and cope with PTSD. living in central Texas, the great off shore fishing I found in Florida is just nonexistent. the next best thing I have found is trophy blue catfish. my personal best to date went 57lbs rod and reel. he was released to fight another day. personally I find that wild meats taste better and are healthier for me and my family, so I hunt. with the feral hog population exploding in Texas, and these animals causing so much damage to property, I harvest these animals and donate a lot of my harvest to Hunters for the hungry, trying to do my part to stop hunger in America.

I come to this forum to share my knowledge and hope I can learn along the way. short term, im in the market for a CUCV as a personal driver and project truck. but as I said before, I have some crazy ideas and would love to share them. and im not apposed to making some friends along the way.

mike

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Oklahoma.

I also want to thank you for your service. May your time in the sandbox be a safe one.

HETvet

thank you all for your support and a warm welcome. I will be returning in the near future. feel free to pick my brain and ask me any questions any of you might have. i love to share my knowledge with others, and learn as well. i can help with most any thing dealing with turbocharging a diesel. i have built turbo set ups for VW TDIs and duramaxes, including 2 and 3 turbo compound set ups with intermediate after cooling, to twin turbo set ups, and most everything in between.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike , Welcome aboard , thank you for your service and thank you for your offer to help . Big hug to the family from us , be well , be safe , God bless , Bob k

Another Ahab

Welcome to you DieselFreak, from right here in the great Commonwealth of Virginia.

I'm more of a Deuce guy myself, but plenty of people here to steer you right regarding the CUCV's.

And I thought this link might interest you, it's a recent article from the Washington Post about wild pigs, saying essentially that they're already out of control in TX and just starting to explode here in VA ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...3f2fc8-55ff-11e3-bdbf-097ab2a3dc2b_story.html )

We'd love to hear whatever you have to say. Tell us what you got!

HETvet

the pig explosion in Texas is horrible. currently the 2 counties that fort hood sits with in are offering a $20 per hog tail reward. they are doing millions of dollars worth of damage to farm land and crops, as well as tainting some areas water table and well water. currently there is no season or bag limit on them.

personally, I would absolutely love to BOB a duce, build a stock looking crew cab for it, slap on a set of 56 inch tall tires, and drop in a 500 horse power cummins power plant. but, finances will not allow that one.

I think it would be most interesting to buy a M1070 tractor, drop in a nice modified 8V-92 TA with and overly built drive train, and use it for the super stock semi class tractor pulls.

at home, I have a project that is on hold till I return. its an 07 chevy 2500HD crew cab long bed, 4wd with the Duramax Allison drive train. the major modifications are a billet aluminum bock, forged and balanced internals with a total displacement of 7.4 liters. 3 ceramic ball bearing S400 style turbos in a compound type system with intermediate after-cooling, and 3 bored and stroked CP3 injection pumps. of course there is a lot more supporting modifications, but that list gets extremely long quickly.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me point out which part of the rule I quoted for you, that you need to work on.

C A P I T A L I Z A T I O N.

We are proud of this site, please show some pride and abide.

HETvet

I guess this is how new members are treated, A moderator forum stalking? something as simple as a finite grammatical error, common in most internet forums, has begun to give me a bad taste. It's internet policing such as this that discourages knowledgeable individual's from even taking the time to register.

Another Ahab

Hey DieselFreak, don't take it hard. The Moderators take their jobs seriously, and they have a job to do. Please don't take it personally.

Stick with us. We want you around.

HETvet

It's not taken hard at all. quite literally this is the second time with in no more than about an hour that the same mod hit me up in 2 separate threads. Ive got think skin, but this really side tracts the point of my being here. simple enough, I came here to share my technical knowledge and learn more about a specific vehicle. Not to get a grammar class and the proper use of punctuation.

HETvet

Miami, not that far from where I grew up. It's unfortunate that you have a Mustang! Just Joking around with you. That thing Looks Beastly!

Ft Sam, I don't ever want to go back there. My middle son had to have neurosurgery there, not a memory I would like to recall. But San Antonio is such a fun place to explore and experience! Again, thank you all for the warm welcome.