• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

checking in from FT Hood by way of Afghanistan

panzerwillie

Sorry about your experience with Miami , we have had a similar bad experience with brain related to kids here , i love Texas i think would be my second choice to lived , that mustang was a old race car i drove for many years there are sure fun memories.....

HETvet

Sorry about your experience with Miami , we have had a similar bad experience with brain related to kids here , i love Texas i think would be my second choice to lived , that mustang was a old race car i drove for many years there are sure fun memories.....
I've never had a bad experience with Miami. It was Fort Sam Huston/Brook Army Medical Center that I have not so pleasant memories. But he is doing much better now and I thank god every day for allowing my son to have this surgery.

I grew up in Volusia County, right between Daytona and Orlando 5 minutes off of I-4. I also must agree with you about Texas; I plan on staying here permanently. Texas has tons of veterans benefits and programs, along with a fairly stable economy and decently affordable per capita income to cost of living ratio. Beyond that, great hunting and fishing.

One of my future projects should provide lots of fun memories as well; 98' Nissan 240SX with a bored and stroked LQ4 (GM LS series truck motor, this is to explain my self. Trying to keep confusion at bay), effectively going from a 6.0 Liter; 366 cubic inch displacement to 6.6~6.7 Liter; 408 cubic inch displacement motor. Twin Garrett GTX42R Turbochargers is a must. This power plant is going to be backed by a T56 transmission, with power going to the rear wheels by way of Corvette C5(R) IRS differential. For those who don't know, IRS in this application stands for independent Rear suspension.

Another Ahab

I've never had a bad experience with Miami. It was Fort Sam Huston/Brook Army Medical Center that I have not so pleasant memories. But he is doing much better now and I thank god every day for allowing my son to have this surgery.

I grew up in Volusia County, right between Daytona and Orlando 5 minutes off of I-4. I also must agree with you about Texas; I plan on staying here permanently. Texas has tons of veterans benefits and programs, along with a fairly stable economy and decently affordable per capita income to cost of living ratio. Beyond that, great hunting and fishing.
Glad to hear that your son went through his surgery OK. That can be scary stuff.

You'll want to know that a good many of us here put a lot of faith in the power of prayer. And we have a Chaplain designate here for the site; that would be ColdWarrior, a good man.

There's a "Chaplain's Corner" category for threads and any prayer request you, or anyone else, might ever want to post will be responded to. You can count on that. Just to let you know.

Last edited:

M715VFD405

Welcome to the madness. My best friend is stationed at ft hood he's a CW2. I grew up down that way over near collage station. Its a great area country but not far from big city's or the gulf.

Another Ahab

personally I find that wild meats taste better and are healthier for me and my family, so I hunt. with the feral hog population exploding in Texas, and these animals causing so much damage to property, I harvest these animals and donate a lot of my harvest to Hunters for the hungry, trying to do my part to stop hunger in America.
You're a good man.

You ever hunt pig with just a Bowie knife?

Talk about a wild and crazy hunt. It could start a new reality TV series: Texas Pig-Stickers!

Last edited:

HETvet

Glad to hear that your son went through his surgery OK. That can be scary stuff.

You'll want to know that a good many of us here put a lot of faith in the power of prayer. And we have a Chaplain designate here for the site; that would be ColdWarrior, a good man.

There's a "Chaplain's Corner" category for threads and any prayer request you, or anyone else, might ever want to post will be responded to. You can count on that. Just to let you know.
Thank you for the heads up. the "Chaplain's Corner" is actually a good part of the reason I chose to request a membership to this forum.

HETvet

Glad the end results is good and GOD SPEED on all your projects.......
I appreciate the positive comment on my son. It was a very rough road. He was born with cerebral palsy; more specifically spastic diplesia (sorry if I spelled that incorrectly). Before the operation, called a selective dorsal risotimey (again, I probably miss spelled that), it was extremely difficult for him to walk and impossible for him to run; he was 3 years old. After the procedure and up to 4 hours per day, 4 days per week of various therapies for a year my little man runs like the wind. what's amazing about kids is that through all of this, he always had a smile on his face and enjoys life. Also his older brother and younger sister never once played to rough with him, always including him in things, and if he did trip and fall down; prior to the surgery that was very often, they would help him up. It was like they some how knew he had his limitations and they would work around it or play with in his limitations.

Thank you for the encouraging words on my project. I have complete access to the machinery, tools and equipment I could ever need or want. Also to the raw materials to custom fabricate parts that aren't out there to buy. It also helps that I have some sponsors supplying me with hard parts. Its still a financial burden and a huge undertaking, but some of the systems and ideas that are theory right now might make it to market pending how well this turns out.

HETvet

Welcome to the madness. My best friend is stationed at ft hood he's a CW2. I grew up down that way over near collage station. Its a great area country but not far from big city's or the gulf.
Thank you for the welcome! I've never made my way down to Collage Station. But I'm sure I'll make my way there eventually.

HETvet

You're a good man.

You ever hunt pig with just a Bowie knife?

Talk about a wild and crazy hunt. It could start a new reality TV series: Texas Pig-Stickers!
No, I have never and will never pig hunt with a knife. I enjoy my life to much and have spent to much time already in hospitals due to my own stupidity and lack of sound judgment. Pig hunting with nothing more than a knife falls in both of these categories, in my personal opinion. My tool is an AR 15, with some modifications, of course. It has a piston system in place of the gas tube system, fires 300 black out ammo, rail mounted bi-pod, ACOG, 5lb smooth pull and smooth break away trigger, and a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T scope. obviously the ACOG and scope aren't mounted at the same time, depends on the area I'm in and how I'm set up. Most farm field type situations the Leupold is mounted.

dozenjeeps

Welcome .........I was at FT Hood back in 1967 for about a year prior to shipping overseas........lived in a mobile home in Killeen with my 19 year old wife for almost a year..........we went back 30 years later and could not find the area where we lived it changed so much......I love Texas and have spent a few months over the years at state parks in the winters, and hope to do it again this year....again stay safe and wish you were closer to Wisconsin as I am having a hard time fixing a diesel 6.2 M-1008, it has been at a mechanics garage for over a month!!

HETvet

Welcome .........I was at FT Hood back in 1967 for about a year prior to shipping overseas........lived in a mobile home in Killeen with my 19 year old wife for almost a year..........we went back 30 years later and could not find the area where we lived it changed so much......I love Texas and have spent a few months over the years at state parks in the winters, and hope to do it again this year....again stay safe and wish you were closer to Wisconsin as I am having a hard time fixing a diesel 6.2 M-1008, it has been at a mechanics garage for over a month!!
what is your truck doing?

dozenjeeps

Well, the starter stuck and burned some wiring, only had it a few months and did not replace the relay.....anyway seems that I had him replace the starter with a heavy duty new one but the wiring has him stumped......picked up a M-715 few weeks ago and I am planning on selling the M-1008 if he ever fixes it....you would think replacing some wiring would not be that hard to fix but I guess it is.........

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from Central Illinois. Was stationed at Hood also! Thank YOU AND YOUR family for the service to our great country!

God bless,
Tony

HETvet

Well, the starter stuck and burned some wiring, only had it a few months and did not replace the relay.....anyway seems that I had him replace the starter with a heavy duty new one but the wiring has him stumped......picked up a M-715 few weeks ago and I am planning on selling the M-1008 if he ever fixes it....you would think replacing some wiring would not be that hard to fix but I guess it is.........
Unfortunately I can't share much information or advice on this issue. I don't have that much experience with the engines in these things. I have a good deal of knowledge on turbocharges and late model diesel fuel injection systems. Where I excel is motor blue printing and building. I've dabbled a bit in modifying and rebuilding various transmissions. I'm sorry I cant help you more. but I do wish you the best of luck!

HETvet

Welcome aboard from Central Illinois. Was stationed at Hood also! Thank YOU AND YOUR family for the service to our great country!

God bless,
Tony
Thank you Tony. Hood seems to have lots of personnel that have spent some time there. Personally, in my 8 years I have been stationed at camp eagle south Korea and Hood. I don't mind that though. You can do quite a bit there and never leave post. Plus it's not as crowded any more; it's down to only 2 combat brigades. 1st Cav and 3rd CR, formerly known as ACR, but they lost their armor. My wife and I thank you for your, and all veterans, Service to this great nation. If it wasn't for the previous Generations of American war fighters, who knows where the land we call home would be. I'm glad I have done my part to write history, and look forward to the next time lady liberty asks me to defend her name!

HETvet

So far I've sourced 2 M1008s for sale. But I'm not going to hold up other buyers ether. I refuse to buy a vehicle sight unseen. That being said, I'm still in Afghanistan.