• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Choosing a 5-ton truck

Nomadic

As a Nomad, I'm looking to upgrade my vehicle to a military grade truck and I'm looking for help choosing a vehicle. The 5-ton trucks are what looks attractive, specifically the M934A2 because it has the workshop. The wind can get pretty strong. It hit 80 MPH near Lake Isabella, CA. In Nevada the wind frequently hits 30 MPH and sometimes 60 MPH. Tents do not stand a chance and I don't think I want to try and sleep with a lighter pop-up camper solution in those conditions. I'm looking for room to work with a large desk having computers with multiple monitors and a twin sized bed plus room for supplies.

I'm looking to solve the problem where I'm limited where I can camp (BLM or National Forest land) because I can't venture off a graded logging/mining/unnamed road. And to extend the stay in the country from 7 days to 14+ days before having to go into town.

As you may know, there is usually build-up of dirt making a berm on each side from the grader and at the high side of the mountain road, the berm is leads up-hill. Going over that would let me be legal in a sense of being 100' away from a road to camp on BLM land. The ground clearance of these trucks looks awesome as does traction.

What concerns me the most I want to bounce off you is loss of power at higher elevations. In the summer while in Nevada the 8900' level is where I need to be to stay cool. Climbing hills also helps me get cellular signal from an amp/antenna setup so I can work out there. Going into town temps climb to 110F in July. Looking at some of the engine specs (LMTV ?), the engine plate says right on there max elevation 4300' (or something close to that number).

I plan to carry enough supples and gear to last 4 weeks (includes. 2 week buffer to wait out an unexpected winter storm). The cargo plan includes a huge battery bank (think Chevy Volt size) that weighs several hundred pounds, generator, water, gasoline. Just the planned water and gasoline adds up to about 1340 lbs. Not sure how much diesel fuel to plan on.

I've seen on YouTube how these 5-Tons take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.Do you think the M934A2 Van Truck would be a good fit?

sandcobra164

I think you have done your research and came up to the most economical solution. Make sure you get an A2 since the A1 and A0 have the N/A 250 Cummins and would not like altitudes like what you are trying to operate in. The "max" elevation on the CAT in the LMTV series only refers to the fact that it can only provide "advertised power" up to that altitude, it'll still run fine but a little slower. Same with the turbocharged 8.3 in the A2 variants of the M939 series but either will do better than an N/A diesel in the mountains. You will like the expando van's body for what you have in mind. The only thing I've never figured out would be plumbing one for a shower and toilet due to the expansible sides. You would have to set it up with quick connects for the plumbing to make it work if you desired to do so or I may not have thought of some creative engineering solution to that thought process. Get an A2 for the altitude and have fun with it!

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get yourself a nice m109a3 shop van. We use our m35a2c up to altitudes of 12000 feet in New Mexico with no issues. I wouldn't worry about altitude with any of these trucks though.

Nomadic

I think you have done your research and came up to the most economical solution. Make sure you get an A2 since the A1 and A0 have the N/A 250 Cummins and would not like altitudes like what you are trying to operate in. The "max" elevation on the CAT in the LMTV series only refers to the fact that it can only provide "advertised power" up to that altitude, it'll still run fine but a little slower. Same with the turbocharged 8.3 in the A2 variants of the M939 series but either will do better than an N/A diesel in the mountains. You will like the expando van's body for what you have in mind. The only thing I've never figured out would be plumbing one for a shower and toilet due to the expansible sides. You would have to set it up with quick connects for the plumbing to make it work if you desired to do so or I may not have thought of some creative engineering solution to that thought process. Get an A2 for the altitude and have fun with it!
The plumbing is a hard one. The idea now is just to use the outdoors since I'm in private. Maybe a hunter once in a couple weeks. However, this truck will allow me to be in the snow so you make a good point that I need to think about. I may need to devise something for the bathroom since digging a hole won't be feasible in deep winter snow. Not sure just how daring I'll be in the snow with these trucks. Looking at videos on youtube, they do pretty good but a locker front and rear would be ideal if there are lockers for them.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend getting a diesel powered generator.

With all that you plan to carry, having only one fuel type would be nice.
Some really nice military surplus ones around.

Plus you can simply siphon from trucks tank if needed.

Nomadic

Get yourself a nice m109a3 shop van. We use our m35a2c up to altitudes of 12000 feet in New Mexico with no issues. I wouldn't worry about altitude with any of these trucks though.
I haven't seen the M109A3 shop van until now. It looks mean. The 5 speed manual is what I wanted to crawl on some of these roads and have good control of speed. Plus I think I could save on brakes driving down-hill with a stick. The rounded corners of the van compartment looks sharp. The whole truck looks tougher than a bucket of nails. I'm mechanically inclined and good with a volt meter, but I'm not sure about reliability on these. How does the reliability of the M109A3 compare to the M934A2?

Nomadic

I would recommend getting a diesel powered generator.

With all that you plan to carry, having only one fuel type would be nice.
Some really nice military surplus ones around.

Plus you can simply siphon from trucks tank if needed.
That sounds like a good suggestion. The stove I'm using also runs off of diesel (MSR Dragon Fly) so I could switch easily. Been thinking about a high ground clearance military trailer to hold a generator, a big ass fuel tank and a big ass water tank (insulated) and some type of heating blanket or somesuch to keep the fuel at proper temp and keep the water from freezing. Then park the trailer w/diesel generator far from camp and run a long cable to the rig to cut down on the noise from the generator.
Another good thing about the diesel generator suggestion some of the gas in the USA as you know has alcohol/Ethanol that causes problems with generators and small engines because the alcohol absorbs moisture where there should not be any moisture and causes no start problems (at least thats what I've read).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just buy a regular cargo truck and tow your 934 box around. It is much easier to tow around than on the back of a truck. Not to mention super singles on a 934 and a good wind going on. Has the side profile of a billboard and not much stability. tapatalk_1469819069460.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

sandcobra164

The M109A3 should be a very reliable truck and it is based off of the M35A2 series trucks. If you find one that you like, do an in oil pan inspection and see if it has 12 point connecting rod bolts instead of the regular 6. They upgraded at some point to a harder bolt to try to avoid making a window in the block when one lets go. I owned one with a newer engine and ran it hard for years. Some people say they are "tougher than woodpecker lips" and I agree. I owned an M35A2 but now own an M923A0 now on 14R20's so somewhat an A1. In cab comfort between the two is a night and day difference. The A2 variants of the M939 series have a much more modern 8.3 Cummins and would honestly be my first bet at the altitude you require to operate in. I like the sound of the big 14 liter Cummins so that drove my decision to stay "old school" and listen to the N/A Cummins. The 8.3 powered trucks sound like a school bus in comparison but they can be turned up enough to make the transmission sweat rather easily.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds like a good suggestion. The stove I'm using also runs off of diesel (MSR Dragon Fly) so I could switch easily. Been thinking about a high ground clearance military trailer to hold a generator, a big ass fuel tank and a big ass water tank (insulated) and some type of heating blanket or somesuch to keep the fuel at proper temp and keep the water from freezing. Then park the trailer w/diesel generator far from camp and run a long cable to the rig to cut down on the noise from the generator.
Another good thing about the diesel generator suggestion some of the gas in the USA as you know has alcohol/Ethanol that causes problems with generators and small engines because the alcohol absorbs moisture where there should not be any moisture and causes no start problems (at least thats what I've read).
You are correct about the ethanol.

Another plus is the diesel generator will have better fuel economy.
Diesel is also a lot safer to handle and easier to store (fumes).

Just would need an anti-gel if it gets really cold.

Last edited:

Nomadic

Just buy a regular cargo truck and tow your 934 box around. It is much easier to tow around than on the back of a truck. Not to mention super singles on a 934 and a good wind going on. Has the side profile of a billboard and not much stability. View attachment 653686

Nice rig. That is a tall workshop and even taller mounted on the truck. Even when parked and a weather front is coming through (high wind), there is a lot of surface area on the workshop for the wind to push on. I was thinking about mounting some hydraulic arms on the sides. Then when parked, lower the arms to take some weight off the rig brining stability. Much like a crane truck. Probably overkill, jack stands under the shop might do just fine to start off with as well as having the shop lower like you have it on the trailer.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Nice rig. That is a tall workshop and even taller mounted on the truck. Even when parked and a weather front is coming through (high wind), there is a lot of surface area on the workshop for the wind to push on. I was thinking about mounting some hydraulic arms on the sides. Then when parked, lower the arms to take some weight off the rig brining stability. Much like a crane truck. Probably overkill, jack stands under the shop might do just fine to start off with as well as having the shop lower like you have it on the trailer.
They have jacks for when it is expanded. Its 12ft tall on the trailer and the same 12ft on a truck

Nomadic

They have jacks for when it is expanded. Its 12ft tall on the trailer and the same 12ft on a truck

I've been reading two people are required to expand the shop. Is it doable for one man that is 6' 3" and 240 lbs to expand it? I saw you muscle that big ass tire in your video and that had me wondering if you are able to expand the shop by yourself?

Nomadic

The M109A3 should be a very reliable truck and it is based off of the M35A2 series trucks. If you find one that you like, do an in oil pan inspection and see if it has 12 point connecting rod bolts instead of the regular 6. They upgraded at some point to a harder bolt to try to avoid making a window in the block when one lets go. I owned one with a newer engine and ran it hard for years. Some people say they are "tougher than woodpecker lips" and I agree. I owned an M35A2 but now own an M923A0 now on 14R20's so somewhat an A1. In cab comfort between the two is a night and day difference. The A2 variants of the M939 series have a much more modern 8.3 Cummins and would honestly be my first bet at the altitude you require to operate in. I like the sound of the big 14 liter Cummins so that drove my decision to stay "old school" and listen to the N/A Cummins. The 8.3 powered trucks sound like a school bus in comparison but they can be turned up enough to make the transmission sweat rather easily.
The 8.3 Cummins is what I have down as the first engine pic. I head here its most modern and reliable/maintenance free engine in retired MV's. The engine power and reliability is my biggest priority. In-cab comfort is last since in this case its about the destination, not the journey. The less I drive it, the more I will save in fuel :)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've been reading two people are required to expand the shop. Is it doable for one man that is 6' 3" and 240 lbs to expand it? I saw you muscle that big ass tire in your video and that had me wondering if you are able to expand the shop by yourself?
Yes. I can set the whole thing up in about 15mins. Taking it down is a fun episode tho. Tires are light. Nothing to them

Nomadic

You need to check out the build of profo. He did it all by hand. It is a very nice rig.

Profo has a nice rig indeed. I like how he focused on the whole shebang.

Michael is said to be an artist and it shows in his rig. I think what he did would be so awesome to have out here in the country. Much like a rolling log cabin where you are comfortable in the inside, step outside in the AM to breathtaking mountain views every singe day.

But I'm looking for incognito where someone from the outside looking in wouldn't see the value of the inside. Right now I'm in a $45k vehicle and it attracts the wrong type of people sometimes and that has caused conflict. Mostly the "care taker" type that want to manipulate and scope the possessions as if they give a **** about me. . If the outside looks like ****, the inside must be the same and thats the camouflage that I'm after.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks