• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian Wipers

Snarky

The following images were taken with a cellphone.

I found some 10 inch hook style wipers at napa (image 1), and I wanted to modify my stock wipers to accept them (image 2). Using assorted tools and a pair of ford wiper arms free from the junkyard I got 'er done. I figured I would share for anyone else that's curious.

Your first step should be to remove your wiper arms from the truck. I used a 10mm nut driver. Then you should remove the blade from the arm (image 3).

Next you need to remove the wiper arm end by punching out the little indention that locks the wiper end to the wiper arm (image 4). I used a screw driver bit and a hammer (image 5). I then completed the separation using a vice, punch, and hammer to knock the end off (image 6 and 7).

I used a wiper arm from a ford vehicle with a hooked end (image 8). I marked a cut off point about where the bend in the arm starts (image 9) and prepared to cut it with a cut off wheel (image 10).

More to follow.

Attachments

Last edited:

Snarky

You should take precautions when using a cut off wheel. Wear safety glasses and use a tool that has a safety guard in place as cutting wheels can come apart.

After you cut your donor (image 1 and 2) its a good idea to clean your puts up on a grinder and with a scuffing pad to make sure any welds come cleanly and to remove surface rust for painting later. (images 3, 4, 5, 6)

Next you want to figure you how you're going to attach the donor hook to your old arm. I chose to put the mark for the tip of the old arm to match up with the center of the wiper blade plastic connector (image 7 and 8 ). I then clamped the pieces together with vice grips (image 9). To prepare for welding (image 10)

More to follow.

Attachments

Last edited:

Snarky

You don't need to go all out with the welds. Wipers are usually held together with crimping and rivets. I just put a few small tacks and then ground them flush. Holds full open air no problem. (image 1, 2 and 3)

After it's welded you're pretty much done (image 4, 5 and 6) aside from painting (image 7)

The purpose of this post was not to insult anyone's intelligence, merely to have fun showing off some rigging

Attachments

Last edited:

avengeusa

i chopped my arms off a touch, and welded on a pin for std blades, and used 14 inchers i think.....

no more smiley face window wiper action, i can see well when it is raining

Gastrap

Nice job!
Your stock one looks different from mine, which had the adaptor for the junk stock blade held onto a disk with a screw.
I just had to grind off the little disk & narrow the flat a bit, then an 11 inch standard "bayonette"mount blade screwed right on. A little tweak of the arm for clearance & they work great.

tm america

saturn surplus has kits that use civy wipers and go right in place of the stock arms i have em on my truck they work great.maybe a little less work than what you went through but both ways get it done