• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning Inner Axle Funk- Dana 60.

a175

As an extension project while doing a partial rebuild of my front end, I've noticed quite a bit of a mess inside the axle. I've included pictures looking through the "inner C's". When I pulled out the shafts, there was surface rust and dirt on them, so I'm going to replace all the seals as well. My question-
Is there a proper way to clean out all this junk? Is there a wrong way that I should avoid? Anything I can/can't spray in there to help clean?

I appreciate all the help. I'll be compiling all this material, as well as new stuff during the rebuild so I can make a thread on this for the next member that has to do this.

Attachments

OLDCHEV4X4

This is always a pain in the A. I cut a circle out of 1/4 plate a little smaller than the axle tube, cut it in half, then welded it to a piece of 3/4" pipe about 4' long. Then i slide it into the tube without touching anything (try not to anyway), and pull all the dirt out. It gets the worst of it out, but not all of it.

ODdave

You have to pull the differential (pumpkin) out to replace the seals anyway. I use a pressure washer to clean the tubes out & center chunk out.

bushhawg73

I just did this to my dana 60. I removed the carrier, and staggered the axle so the side I was cleaning was lower that the other side. I sprayed a degreaser into the tube from the inside while my dad used a toilet brush to scrub the inside of the tubes. We got a lot of the crud out but not all of it. If I had the equipment I would have pressure washed it and degreased it several times and then used a wire wheel.

Make sure that when you pull the old inner seals the entire seal comes out. My old seals were two pieces and I could not figure out why the new ones would not fit for a while. The carrier is a real PITA to reinstall without a case spreader.

a175

Giblet gravy anyone?
Glad I took off the cover. As soon as the bottom bolts started loosening, I saw water coming out. When the cover came off, it barfed this mess on me.
So, now I need to figure out how best to clean THIS also, as there's some visible residue still, and I'm sure there's more I can't see. Do I have to remove all those gears? I'm guessing so. Also, what's this little disk thingy in the corner of the cover's inside for?
On another note, all the bolts were the same. I was expecting to find one that takes an allen key to remove. Reckon this has been messed with before?

Attachments

Last edited:

armytruck63

The disk thing is a magnet on the inside of the cover. It is designed to attract steel particles out of the gear oil. In picture #3 you can see it is working.

Bet that goop smelled like a sewer.

Zero_cool

To replace the ceals yes you have to remove the pumpkin.
Remove the 4 bolts from the pillow blocks and she should pop out.
As for cleaning i would use WD-40. I wouldnt take the gears apart unless there is evident damage.

a175

I have a gasket here whenever I get ready to put it back together. I took the four bolts and two "c" clamp things, but still haven't figured out how to remove the guts. I'd like to clean everything thoroughly and inspect for any damage.

spicergear

Yeah, not long after I got the Mog I became the first person to do maintenance on the front axle. It had been swamped at one point and the differential, pinion, and all bearings on axle (thankfully not portal boxes) were destroyed. I rebuilt it with pristine take out parts I found in upstate NY. WHEW!...but still a pricey rebuild...and the pic below is of most of the tools it takes to rebuild the front axle. I don't have pictured a large press, digital metric calipers, or my milling machine which I had to use the digital readout to measure a couple dimensions on the differental that the calipers couldn't.

Attachments

Zero_cool

I agree with ODdave on tossing the gasket.
To get the pumpkin out i very carfully pryed it out with a small bar.
It will act like it doesnt want to come out but as long as you removed the 4 pillow block bolts , and of course the axle shafts it will come.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks