• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning Inner Axle Funk- Dana 60.

Zero_cool

Have you checked out the TMs yet?
JATONKA's CUCV TM download page

TM 9-2320-289-34

Paragraph 6-8
page number 6-41
Tells how to do it with housing spreader.
Allot of the steps are unnecessary such as removing the axle and placing it on a stand etc
Basically all I did was remove the 4 bolts and pryed it out with a bar. I noted which parts went on witch side for installation.

Last edited:

ODdave

FWIW, I did not see it mentioned so i figured i would throw it out there.

DO NOT MIX THE BEARING CAPS UP. They are marked, If you look carefully at the cap you will see a letter (usually K, 0, or P) stamped in them. one will be up right, the other on its side. Its mate will be stamped the same way into the gasket surface on the housing.

bushhawg73

ODdave is correct about the stamped caps. Once I found the markings there was no messing them up as long as you place the cap the same way as the letter is stamped into the cap and housing. Mine was a royal pain in the rear to get in. A case spreader would have helped a lot. The fact that the carrier and ring gear are really heavy and cumbersom does not help at all. You can see the letter Y stamped into the cap and housing.

Attachments

that1028guy

I feel pretty lucky. When I rebuilt my front end on the 08 it took a little pry bar to get it out and was not a pain to get back in at all. As far as cleaning the inside, you can put the hubs back together, and shove some shop towels in the inner berring side of the wheel and put the brakes and wheels back together and take it somewhere that has a heated pressure washer, and soak everything in degreaser, then blast it. But make sure to rinse it till the waster comes out clear so there is no degreaser left in it. Then I used brake clean and wd 40 to wipe everything that needed to be dry and rust free down before reasembling everything. May seem a but extreem, but when gear lube mixes with sand, it turns into concreete, and i was not putting it back together with all that crap in there. Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks