• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

!CLOSED! Cab Mount Group Buy. NEW OEM FMTV LMTV M1078, M1079, etc

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Group Buy Is Now CLOSED. All 50 sets are spoken for. Thanks to everyone!

I am having 100 each of the thicker and 100 each of the thinner cab mounts manufactured for a group buy. Anyone that wants in please post here.

Right now pricing is $30 for the thicker mounts, and $24 for the thinner mounts.... I'm not sure if shipping from manufacturer to me will change the pricing slightly but with it amortized over 200 pieces it shouldn't change much. They will easily fit in flat rate boxes though so distributing them to group buyers won't be terrible.

These mounts are being made by one of the original manufacturers. They actually found the drawings in their records and had made 10's of thousands of these mounts circa about 2005 for Stewart and Stevenson. They will be EXACTLY the same as what came on the truck as built. Same dimensions, same materials.

So pre A1R trucks with the air ride cab will need two of each for a total of $108 plus shipping for a set.

A1R guys - you'll just have to buy two sets and you'll end up with an extra thick mount so it will be $216 plus shipping. The rear cab latch on the A1R requires one thick and two thin mounts. Fortunately they are the same parts used in the front of the A0/A1 trucks.

I'll leave this group buy open for 90 days. After that anything that's left is going on ebay and will be marked up accordingly for fees and maybe some profit.

Current ETA to ship from manufacturer is 6 to 8 weeks. Probably another week to get to me - they are on the other side of the US from me.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m interested right up until you said made of the same material. The material they used is why they failed.
In practice if they are installed immediately following manufacture they are good for about 15-20 years. Perhaps longer if they are cared for with some rubber protectant such as:

I'm good with that personally. On my A1R that has no air ride they provide a decent level of comfort. If I have to change them in 15 years then so be it at that price. I'm also going to figure out the best way to keep them in long term storage.

Everyone makes a big deal about polyurethane but honestly it degrades at about the same rate - faster or slower depending on environment but if you do a google search for rubber vs polyurethane lifespan about half say it lasts longer, and about half say rubber lasts longer. I've personally seen urethane fail - it gets really hard and brittle like glass and falls away in chunks. The original sway bar end links on my Trans Am were urethane from the factory circa 1992 and they were hard as a rock (what was left) and shattered into thousands of blue pellets like a Smurf dipped in liquid nitrogen..

Urethane requires periodic greasing for best longevity and performance - it's not exactly clear how that's possible in this case.

I wouldn't discount the expertise of the engineers that designed it that easily. :shrugs:

Last edited:

INFChief

In practice if they are installed immediately following manufacture they are good for about 15-20 years. Perhaps longer if they are cared for with some rubber protectant such as:

I'm good with that personally. On my A1R that has no air ride they provide a decent level of comfort. If I have to change them in 15 years then so be it at that price. I'm also going to figure out the best way to keep them in long term storage.

Everyone makes a big deal about polyurethane but honestly it degrades at about the same rate - faster or slower depending on environment but if you do a google search for rubber vs polyurethane lifespan about half say it lasts longer, and about half say rubber lasts longer. I've personally seen urethane fail - it gets really hard and brittle like glass and falls away in chunks. The original sway bar end links on my Trans Am were urethane from the factory circa 1992 and they were hard as a rock (what was left) and shattered into thousands of blue pellets like a Smurf dipped in liquid nitrogen..

Urethane requires periodic greasing for best longevity and performance - it's not exactly clear how that's possible in this case.

I wouldn't discount the expertise of the engineers that designed it that easily. :shrugs:
I’m in for a set M1083A1.

johnz

I am having 100 each of the thicker and 100 each of the thinner cab mounts manufactured for a group buy. Anyone that wants in please post here.

Right now pricing is $30 for the thicker mounts, and $24 for the thinner mounts.... I'm not sure if shipping from manufacturer to me will change the pricing slightly but with it amortized over 200 pieces it shouldn't change much. They will easily fit in flat rate boxes though so distributing them to group buyers won't be terrible.

These mounts are being made by one of the original manufacturers. They actually found the drawings in their records and had made 10's of thousands of these mounts circa about 2005 for Stewart and Stevenson. They will be EXACTLY the same as what came on the truck as built. Same dimensions, same materials.

So pre A1R trucks with the air ride cab will need two of each for a total of $108 plus shipping for a set.

A1R guys - you'll just have to buy two sets and you'll end up with an extra thick mount so it will be $216 plus shipping. The rear cab latch on the A1R requires one thick and two thin mounts. Fortunately they are the same parts used in the front of the A0/A1 trucks.

I'll leave this group buy open for 90 days. After that anything that's left is going on ebay and will be marked up accordingly for fees and maybe some profit.

Current ETA to ship from manufacturer is 6 to 8 weeks. Probably another week to get to me - they are on the other side of the US from me.
I'm in for two full sets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks