• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CNC Mill

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Tom said. A friend of mine has one on his Bridgeport. You end up with 2/3 the HP of the motor rating if I remember correctly.
I have one set up like this in my garage. Father has Bridgeport, Surface grinder and lathe all set up this way. I don't think he spent more than $100 each on his VFD.

We use them all the time at work too but for different reasons. With a VFD you get no derating. The old rotary phase converters had to be derated. VFD gives a perfect 3 phase thanks to the magic of electronics.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one set up like this in my garage. Father has Bridgeport, Surface grinder and lathe all set up this way. I don't think he spent more than $100 each on his VFD.

We use them all the time at work too but for different reasons. With a VFD you get no derating. The old rotary phase converters had to be derated. VFD gives a perfect 3 phase thanks to the magic of electronics.
The derating comes from the supply circuit capabilities. You lose at least a third of the amp capacity on single phase. If the supply circuit has a high enough amp capacity or you have a small motor, it probably doesn't matter.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be 10 to 12 amps max. Plus the VFD gives it a soft start. Typically a 240 single phase circuit is not rated for less than 20A.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks