• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coca-Cola 600 2014 **Business**

Was posting earlier off my phone. As of now I have:

M934a1
M928a1
M931a2
M920 (too bad it is too 'modified'!)
M936a1
M35a2 deuce

The only truck I currently have tagged/insured is the M920, which is why I wanted to bring it (tagged/insured as an RV). I do not have CDL's so not sure I can legally drive any of the other trucks even with a temporary tag. I will hopefully have the deuce tagged/insured by then so if all else fails I can bring it. I am hoping to get the M934a1 driveable by then and tagged/insured as an RV so that maybe I can bring it and have a nice truck to sit on top of!

Let's see a pic of the M920 to see how modified it is.

I have removed the winch now, and hope to have a sleeper cab off a semi truck installed by the Denton rally. I am also debating removing the drop axle since I don't have but one spare tire/wheel, and I will never actually NEED the drop axle for load carrying. My plans are to use that space to put a spare tire on one side, and a toolbox and possibly generator on the other side.

IMG_20140109_142832_136.jpgIMG_20140106_123733_784.jpg

bchauvette

Kenm352a, has volunteered to do vehicle inventory control and Emd567 is doing Convoy command and control. Thanks for stepping up to the plate. Don't beat them up too bad.

I'm sure there will be people mulling about as we stage at the Carolina Mall and there will be a static display at the race. I'm always asked about my MV when doing a function. I'm wondering if a single sheet with stats inside a sheet protector attached to each vehicle would be good. If yes would anybody be interested in doing that? Doesn't have to be somebody attending.

bchauvette

*****Looking for input on how to best get the final list.****

We went from worrying we won't make minimum vehicle count to exceeding maximum of 15 vehicles. I tried to get that number increased with no luck. We have Steel Soldiers that are a solid committed. We have Steel soldiers that stepped up to the plate and volunteered to perform a function. We have Steel Soldiers with multiple Vehicles. We have Steel Soldiers with friends that will or could participated. We have multiple of one kind of vehicle and only one of an other kind. We will have vehicles that are not able to participate at the 11th hour.

That is a hard decision to make on your part. Didn't you say there will be a static display of trucks outside the racetrack? Could any trucks over the 15 number be parked there? I am not a huge NASCAR fan (even though I took the NASCAR program in college), more a fan of off-road racing I guess. I have always wanted to watch a race from the infield where there is room to sit/relax and bring my own food.

If there is not room for more than 15 trucks in the infield, could the 'extra' people still come in and hang out but leave there trucks outside in the display area?

Aside from that, drawing names out of a hat is the only 'fair' way to do this, BUT I understand why you would not want to have 5 of the same style truck too.

Maybe if a truck is a 'leaker' it should automatically be left for the static display outside, I know I have a couple trucks that leave a pretty good spot after sitting for a bit. My wrecker truck and M920 are probably the driest trucks underneath that I own. My M928 is very competent at marking it's territory!

bchauvette

Please be advised we are at 14 Vehicles as we speak!!!!!! But there is still a chance. We have not decided how the selection process will roll out. Looking for your input. Additional vehicles may be as standby, Vehicles beyond standby MIGHT be able to do static display at the staging site. With all personal being able to actually got to the track. There may be a lottery subdivide by vehicle type. I'm sensitive to people who jumped in first.

I am trying to get a hard headcount maximum number from the powers to be. The powers to be seem to have a hard time coming up with that. Lets just say there are past experiences that make it surprising they are letting do it this this year. I've been guaranteeing, with total confidence, That youse guys (NJ speak) are all an upright bunch of people.

bchauvette

Update

had a computer crash so I PM'd the volunteers to send a solid vehicle count, model number and passenger head count. It may be a good idea to include ages. If you didn't get a PM from me could you PM with that info?

We are not that solid with Carolina Mall got an email saying they are waiting for approval from cooperate.

However it looks like Hendrix Motor Sports. Thank you andy3. They tell me they are building an "The Auto Mall" and would be a perfect place to stage the vehicles. It will be complete just in time for the race. It is virtually just across the street from the track so convoying through town wouldn't be a problem. We have a meeting with them first of May.

There is confusion as communication comes down the line as to which kind of passed we are getting. It seems we are getting infield passes not pit row passes.

andy3

Butch,

How do we look. What do you need from us Sir? I also work in the data recovery business. Hit me up and let me see if I can assist. I still have a driver crew for an extra vehicle if needed.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am glad that carolina mall is out. It would be tough to have to pass the racetrack just to stage. The auto mall sounds like a great place to pre stage the trucks.

I am guessing we won't find out which tunnel we are using until the meeting in May?

bchauvette

So far it looks like we have our primary 15 vehicles and waiting for the actual names for the 2 standby vehicles. As we get closer I'm sure we will have to do some adjusting as some people may have something come up trucks break down etc.. Ken is tracking the vehicles and he is waiting on me to send him the latest details.

I have an request in for the exact time we need to be at the track so EMD567 can do his convoy command and control magic. It looks like we will be staging at a brand new facility at Hendrix Motor Sports. Thanks for the tip! I'm still keeping Carolina Mall on the hook just in case. One benefit of Hendrix is that the convoy will be short. We would have to drive through town with the Carolina Mall .

You can filter in all day Saturday or Early Sunday morning . EMD567 can let us know what the deadline time will be to show up so he can do the convoy thing. We come in to the track, stage at some point before the race we take a lap around the track then re-stage for the race. There are also several busses with active GI's that lap with us. You can leave any time during the race. The staging area will be available the night of the race to be able to leave Monday morning.

bchauvette

I am glad that carolina mall is out. It would be tough to have to pass the racetrack just to stage. The auto mall sounds like a great place to pre stage the trucks.

I am guessing we won't find out which tunnel we are using until the meeting in May?
Actually the meeting in May is with Hendrix Motor Sports. I can get the gate number ASAP. Be patient as the track contact guy is working remotely and communication is spotty.

bchauvette

Like Obama-care open enrollment will be coming to a close.

The close will be this Saturday March 15th. so chime in. We are at 17 vehicles so any additional vehicles would have to go on a reserved list.

We can iron out the exact vehicle and head count shortly after that. CBRmetal works is waiting for an update with multiple vehicles to adjust for the 15 vehicles.

We are not counting the HET and Mule in the count.

Last edited by a moderator:

bchauvette

Today is the close of enrollment. Any name beyond today wil have to l be put on a standby list. Ken will be contacting everybody individually for the hard vehicle and head count. Anybody not responding before the deadline (T.B.D) will have to be dropped as your response is generating the passes.

We picked up a M932A2 w/M313 trailer. How cool is that?

So far the only expense we need to share are the Portia-Potties and banner shipping.

Anybody interested in clamp on bumper flags? 1 US flag 1 POW/MIA Just pay cost.

We got permission to use the "Steel Soldier" logo. Thanks Ken. My friend volunteered to print them for free, just pay shipping. I will have a 4X8 banner on each side of the M944. Keep in mind this event is broadcasted world wide.

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And not to be rude. We have the highest expectations that everyone will act like a good troop and if you bring little troopers keep them in formation.

I hate this part anyone acting like a moron will be asked to leave.
I have faith that this will not happen as we have some very fine troops on list.

bchauvette

I finally had it chance to meet face-to-face with the track contact person. I got more details and cleared up some assumptions.

#1. Last year we came through the gate at 11 AM

#2. It is it is a night race. It starts at 4 PM.

#3. You will need to have a neck badge to hang your pass,you can bring your own or the track has neck badges for $10

#4. We have to convoy in but you can leave anytime you want.

#5. You can bring cooler,drink and food, but no grills or cooking. Track food is very expensive. Bring lawn chairs

#6. You are getting a great deal field passes cost between $79 and $135.

#7. You may want to have hearing protection for the older and younger folk.

#8. We are hoping to be able to issue the passes at the staging area as we Que up. But we may have to halt the convoy just before going in to pick up the passes.

We still have Hendrix motorsports as our primary staging area. I am keeping Carolina Mall as a secondary site. Just in case.

The final list is complete except for one, we are just waiting for that one person and will be able to publish the final list.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds great. Are the porta potties for Hendrix, or the inside the track?

bchauvette

A message from Carolina Mall:
[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately we will be unable to host the overnight staging event for the Military Vehicles participating in the Memorial Day appreciation ceremony. We appreciate your reaching out to us and considering Carolina Mall for this event. Please let us know if we can assist you in the future!

Going to contact the local Wall-Mart for a back up site.
[/FONT]