• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold CUCV

JAsher45

eh if your low colant light came that is not good... you still have an air bubble in the system.... have you Flushed out the block.... i had a problem after i repaired my radiator... the radiator would do over fill the surge tank like i had air in the system. and left rusty antifreeze coating everything under the hood. but the engine never over heated

it did this every day for a week before i got a flush kit and coolant cleaner.... it took about 20 minutes to flush all of the rusty colored water out of the engine block..

since doing that and refilling with proper mixxed coolant with and a coolant conditioner ... and taking my time bleeding the air out of the system not a problem

jag7720

if you want you heater to work better.. there is some plumbing changes you can do like on the HMMWV system. plug the radiator where your heater hose comes out. on your water pump there is a pipe plug on the same side... remove it and install a 45 degree threaded hose fitting. then hook your heater hose there. it is more of a closed loop system

Can you add the 45° fitting without taking the water pump off?

Is this worth the mod?

K45

All thi stuff makes alot of sense. Has anyone messed with the preston flush kit. My friend bought one and left it at my house. I have not had the guts to cut my hoses to put the adapters on. Any thoughts and opinions?

I am curiosu to see how things go with the low heat issue. Let us know if it is sometihng as simple as air in the system. good luck on the fix

bryab123

i flushed my radiator the way the prestone flush kit said and used 2 bottles of the prestone cleaner. my heater will run you out of the cab. no problems from my experience

HeadWizard

One thing that has not yet been discussed - is your heater control valve opening and allowing coolant to flow to the heater core? If you lose vacuum, have a or have a leak, the valve won't open.

Are the heater hoses getting hot?

Is it a possible blend door / control cable problem in the cab?

I just had a vacuum leak that caused the climate controls to stop working.

mangus580

One thing that has not yet been discussed - is your heater control valve opening and allowing coolant to flow to the heater core? If you lose vacuum, have a or have a leak, the valve won't open.

Are the heater hoses getting hot?

Is it a possible blend door / control cable problem in the cab?

I just had a vacuum leak that caused the climate controls to stop working.

vacuum???????

Obviously you dont know much about the CUCV heating system :-D

they use cables :beer:

HeadWizard

Yes, vacuum

vacuum???????

Obviously you dont know much about the CUCV heating system :-D

they use cables :beer:
Mike-

Yes, vacuum.

With all due respect, I'm an ASE Certified master tech and have been working on this body style GM product for years.

All have cables, yes. Some (not all) have a vacuum operated heater control valve in the heater hose and vacuum operated blend and mode control doors under the dash.

I'm not near my M1009 or I would take some photos of these items and post them. Admittedly, my CUCV does have AC and yes, it's a "real" M1009. I had the climate control head out last week to repair one of the cables and to trace a blend control problem. Turned out that one of the vacuum hoses was kinked and the blend control would not operate. Also was a good thing that I was able to repair the cable as they have been discontinued from GM and are not available in the aftermarket.

So maybe I actually do know much about the CUCV heating system? :-D

344lbsofgetdown

Mike-

Yes, vacuum.

With all due respect, I'm an ASE Certified master tech and have been working on this body style GM product for years.

All have cables, yes. Some (not all) have a vacuum operated heater control valve in the heater hose and vacuum operated blend and mode control doors under the dash.

I'm not near my M1009 or I would take some photos of these items and post them. Admittedly, my CUCV does have AC and yes, it's a "real" M1009. I had the climate control head out last week to repair one of the cables and to trace a blend control problem. Turned out that one of the vacuum hoses was kinked and the blend control would not operate. Also was a good thing that I was able to repair the cable as they have been discontinued from GM and are not available in the aftermarket.

So maybe I actually do know much about the CUCV heating system? :-D

when did a CUCV come with A/C???????? or is it a aftermarket set up i know my 95 s10 had the vac setup but my CUCV has all cable's to work everything no vacume lines just wondering what setup u got going on there would like to see it :soapbox:

detroitmuscle1986

Ok, i have no heat and idk what to do. We have tried everything. The heater core is clean, i have taken it off and blown through it, no problems there. The radiator is clean. I plugged the radiator where the heater hose comes out and on the water pump installed a 45 degree threaded hose fitting. Then hooked my heater hose there so its a direct loop, but still no heat. It gets cold in maine and i really need some heat. any help or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
you replace the t stat with a 195? that is about the only thing that will cause no heat. Other thing to check is to make sure the fan clutch is not frozen on... it should free spin while the engine is NOT running.

detroitmuscle1986

yup when we first got the truck we replaced the t-stat adn still no heat.. so we baught another t-stat thinking the first one was bad, but they both work ed properly and the fan clutch is also working properly. I'm wondering if the army has different heater cores for different climates.. we did buy the truck from the mississipi national guard, so it owuld make sence. But all i can really think of trying is to replace the heater core and hope for the best.

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the exact same problem with my CUCV. Thread from last year is here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/49978-m1009-running-cold.html

I had plenty of heat prior to replacement of the original copper heater core which was leaking. I replaced with an aluminum core, but I don't think that should make a difference. I also installed new correct 'hockey puck" thermostat, new heater hoses (routed correctly), and made certain the heater box doors and cables were working and actuating the entire distance. I even disconnected the blend door cable and closed the door all the way. No help. The only difference is I did loose some of the foam sealing and foam insullation from inside and around the heater box. Once again, I doubt that makes a huge difference.

It is a pain without enough heat to melt frost or snow from the windshield.

Who knows???

detroitmuscle1986

yeah we have done the same exact things.. shecked everything under the dash, and still nothing jumps out. i jsut dont ge thow some trucks will drive you out of the cab because its too hot, and others (such as ours) will hardly melt away the morning frost. Its a real PITA! The heater hoses are even hot leading up to the heater core. i dont know what to say. ha

WARWAG

My truck had a new engine installed and a new radiator. When I first got her I check the rad levels and it was completely full. But nothing in the over flow resevior. Took her out for a spin and came back. Heater worked great. Check the rad level again and she was low 1/2 gallon including filling the resevior tank to proper level. No signs of leak and have run and checled her twice more. I must of had an air bubble that the mech missed. Just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks