• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold idle circuit questions

Milbikes

I see that the harness that goes from the on/off temp switch on the right rear cylinder head on my M1008 is fried.

I decided to apply 12V with a small jumper to the cold start idle solenoid to see if it works. It activated it, but it also made the relay on the firewall (Glow plug relay) buzz. I quickly removed the jumper.

I then took off the plug on the injector pump that supplies voltage to the cold idle solenoid and advance. I applied voltage to the solenoid only and it worked fine, giving a higher cold idle.

Should applying 12v power to the wire on the cold idle solenoid make the relay on the firewall buzz?

Sounds like a short somewhere, or is that noise normal?

1stSarge

1 From where did you take the 12v from?
2 How soon (in seconds) was it between the time you started it, and when you jumped the solenoid?
3 Do you have your glow plug controller installed?

Milbikes

I took power from the front battery pos. terminal (12v). I have the original glow plug card and relay system. When I heard the relay on the firewall buzzing, I disconnected my power jumper to the cold start solenoid. Then I used the jumper so only the cold start solenoid received power (Not back-feeding into the wiring harness).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What color wire did you attach the jumper wire to? Which wires are "fried"?

The pink/black wire from Circuit #39 feeds the Seat Belt Buzzer, Water-In-Fuel solenoid, Cold Advance Switch, a four bulbs in the instrument cluster (temp,low coolant,brake and fuel gauge)

Even thought it doesn't show it clearly, circuit 39 also supplies power to the Glow Plug Module and GP Relay.

We need a little more info to help with the wiring issue.

Attachments

1stSarge

For example:
Was the ignition switch turn to “run” when you did this?
Was the truck running when you did this?
If so, how long had it been running?
When you say “buzz” what is that like? Was it clicking in and out, or was it just clicking in and staying in like normal?

Wolf.Dose

You really do not need the cold idle up. It lifts the engine rpm from 650 to 750. Just start driving without worming up the engine. When the oil pressure warning light is of, the oil is through the engine. So forget it, even at -22°C, due to experiance.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks