• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold start

rsh4364

Thinking about cold weather soon,want to add kats13150 block heater and a oil pan heating pad. probably 1500watt. for block and 150 watt. for oil pan..any advice or experiance ?

scottladdy

Engine Block Heater

NAPA no longer seems to be carrying the Balkamp engine block heater. They are carrying the KATZ's line now, manufactured for Balkamp.

I picked up part #11612 for both of my trucks, which is what KAT's listing calls for in the 6.2/6.5 engines.

Check their listing at: http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com/getdoc/2c8a6911-c214-4190-9059-d6aaa10fe527/DC12.aspx

So far so good. No leaks. I did use a torque wrench to obtain the specified torque for the mounting bolt.

One concern I have, they do not supply a cover for the end of the 120V cord like some others do. Brass terminals in a salt filled environment = ...

I am looking for a suitable cover. But, I may buy a sacrificial repair plug from a local hardware store as a substitute until I can find a decent cover.

Both heaters work. It hasn't really been cold enough in our area yet to validate that there has been much difference in starting of either truck. Most recommendations I've seen indicate use of a block heater when temps are 20 F or lower. They state that the electrical costs are not outweighed until temps are at least that low. Turn it on about 2 hours or so before starting.

Please post your decision and results.

Matt65

I'd check all the glow plugs and make sure they are working correctly. Complete the resistor bypass as well if you haven't already. I rarely see sub-teen temps, but have never had a problem starting my truck in the cold. Add on warmers are nice though and easier on the truck.

natemccabe

Don't forget about the batteries. They need to be warm enough to provide all the current to turn the starter after a glow. Small 60 watt heater pads are all you need. With a properly operating glow plug system I would even forgo the block heater. My block heater was accidently unplugged (at the block) for I dont know how long but with good warm batteries the 09 still roared to live in sub-zero temps for the last month.

rsh4364

thanks for the info. guys, do you wrap both batts.? I have optima redtops that spin motor really well,I just want this old girl to be happy and healthy when she fires up..all that noise at start up kinda freaks me out,new to diesels ..

Skinny

I did the Katz oil pan and block heater install last month in prepping for winter. Both work great, only used once because the ol' girl sits in a heated shop at school most of the time (retired military truck deserves a good rest).

What are you guys using for battery blankets? I saw on ebay or amazon (can't remember which) a yellow OEM GM wrap which was $30 each. Dimensions were very close to a group 31 battery but I was unsure about it fitting. Anyone have good or bad experiences with a certain brand?

natemccabe

I believe they are Katz 60 watt heaters. You dont want the high wattage pads as they will sulfate your batteries. I pick em up at Alaska Industrial Hardware which is a sad version of Harbor Freight that costs more and doesn't carry all the cheap nick nack type of stuff.

usmcpatriot

Napa 7235, grp # 31P CCA at 32degs is 1260, and CCA at 0 degs is 1125

Just asking, Is CCA the problem here? If so, may I suggest Napa 7235, grp # 31P CCA at 32degs is 1260, and CCA at 0 degs is 1125

Attachments

jmassenga

Don't put battery warmers on the optimas - I had a 60w heater melt a hole in the bottom of a Optima once. And they don't need them - had red tops in my M37 daily driver, and it fired right up down to -45 (coldest it saw) without battery heaters. Normal bateries like heaters though; like natemccabe, I've always used 60w pads under the battery for non-gel batteries.

I have 600w block heaters and 100w pad oil pan heaters on both my M1008 and M1009; both start reliably down to -20 (the coldest they've seen) plugged in. Unplugged they'll fire up at -20, but can start being obnoxious if cold-soaked.

Consider a 5w40 diesel oil for winter - there is a noticable difference in the speed at which oil pressure builds on a cold start-up. At -40, even 5wXX oil runs like molasses.

rsh4364

after researching more gonna go kim hotstart TPS151gt10-000 blockheater, more money but has thermostat and its rebuildable, also a pro heat 125 watt. pan heater...

mudman

I have just a 1500 heater on my unit, and that is all you will need. I has a little pump in it (tank heater) that moves the water though the system. Leave the heater on and in the defrost mode and it will keep your windows clean of frost as well.

ralbelt

The 12v resistor bypass eliminates the chance that the glowplugs will fail one after the other. When supplied from the 24v circuit when one fails more voltage is sent to the next and as more fail the voltage to the rest increases and more fail, the cascading effect. With the 12v bypass it seems to take a little longer , maybe 10-15 seconds for the GP's to warm up. Been running like this for 3 years like this , no problems.

cpf240

so when removed the glowplugs get 24V? I have not changed the glowplugs so wouldn't that reduce their heat? I read through the above link and am still confused - before anyone says it, am now searching (also for wiring a manual glow plug switch...)
No, you run the supply wire from the glow plug relay to the 12v buss block next to the brake master cylinder. The glow plugs only run on 12v. The combination of the resistance of *all* the glow plugs in combination with the resistor pack on the firewall drop the 24v supplied in the stock setup to about 12v to each glow plug. When a glow plug goes bad, this changes the combined resistance of the glow plug side of the system, resulting in the remaining functional glow plugs getting too much voltage, causing them to fail quicker.

rsh4364

Ordered a hotstart block heater# TPS151gt-10 000,input should be lowest point of cooling system,was thinking about maybe making a t to put in lower radiator hose,but im sure theres probably an easier way,any thoughts or advice.Thanks. 85 1009 6.2,Ive also heard someone sells a freeze plug replacement that has a 5/8 nipple on it to attach to pump inlet but cant locate who makes or sells them...any advice please...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks