• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold starting A1R

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First winter with an A1R and also a diesel. Started it today in 10f and it was not very happy. Had to crank several times(was letting off same as I would in warm temps- when I hear it ignite). Then held starter for a few seconds after catching to keep it running since previous method didn't work. Lots of black smoke for a few seconds then white smoke. No engine preheat used from block heater. Sounded like marbles in the cylinders for about 10 seconds.
This is with the ether system in working order. I wish there was a way to disable it as what if cylinder is empty? The grid heater won't turn on if it decides ether is needed (at least until after running) Any ideas if you can change this setting? I have looked in cat ET and found nothing. I really want to avoid tricking sensors to avoid ether. I assume a ton of cat c7 school busses don't have ether and start just fine in far colder temps.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you would rather you could use something like this to control the grid heater and disconnect or manually control the ether:

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you would rather you could use something like this to control the grid heater and disconnect or manually control the ether:

My worry is the ECM programming is expecting ether or grid heater and I would imagine the engine start parameters are fairly different. Manual control is a fairly easy part of it.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My worry is the ECM programming is expecting ether or grid heater and I would imagine the engine start parameters are fairly different. Manual control is a fairly easy part of it.
It has to cope with an empty bottle so I wouldn't worry about it. Ether is just an alternate fuel source and the black smoke means it's got plenty of fuel - I wouldn't worry about it.

There's no way to change the operating parameters that I'm aware of in software since having the grid heater operate on top of the ether could blow the intake manifold off the truck. So from a liability and safety standpoint those settings are not available to CAT ET.

I wouldn't personally mess with it. It works as is. If you are concerned about the cold starting then block heater and/or diesel pre-heater is your answer.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has to cope with an empty bottle so I wouldn't worry about it. Ether is just an alternate fuel source and the black smoke means it's got plenty of fuel - I wouldn't worry about it.

There's no way to change the operating parameters that I'm aware of in software since having the grid heater operate on top of the ether could blow the intake manifold off the truck. So from a liability and safety standpoint those settings are not available to CAT ET.

I wouldn't personally mess with it. It works as is. If you are concerned about the cold starting then block heater and/or diesel pre-heater is your answer.
I agree with @GeneralDisorder, if you are concerned, block heater. We owned CAT equipment years ago and ran all through moderate winters with a spray can of ether. Black smoke and 'marbles' each morning up and down the line. Just leave at idle until 'marbles' pass. You'll be waiting for air to come up anyway.

Here is a video of various CAT tractors starting up, some have been running a few more years then our units—

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with @GeneralDisorder, if you are concerned, block heater. We owned CAT equipment years ago and ran all through moderate winters with a spray can of ether. Black smoke and 'marbles' each morning up and down the line. Just leave at idle until 'marbles' pass. You'll be waiting for air to come up anyway.

Here is a video of various CAT tractors starting up, some have been running a few more years then our units—
Well that's good to hear my experience sounds about the same.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this video, C7 start is about the same as mine (not great).
Mine is just like the one at 5:30
Very typical. But these start WAY better than the HMMWV's - check out same guy's video on that mess:

And if the glow plugs don't work (blown up from repeatedly cycling when someone left the switch on or controller failed - common) good luck. You might as well wait till summer comes.

Very typical. But these start WAY better than the HMMWV's - check out same guy's video on that mess:

And if the glow plugs don't work (blown up from repeatedly cycling when someone left the switch on or controller failed - common) good luck. You might as well wait till summer comes.
I have a 3116 I can’t find the grid heater solenoid, please help!
im sorry 3126

Ronmar

Naw, you take a pan put some diesel and a little gas in it, light it and slide it under the engine. It either warms the engine enough to start, or the whole thing catches fire and burns to the rims… Either way your problem is solved:)

Havn't been to Drum in a long time. Was stationed at Seneca once upon a long time ago…

87cr250r

The rattle and bang is fine. Think of it as some cylinders running near full power to make up for the ones that aren't. It should be ok for cylinders to run at full power. That HMMWV was a bit hard to watch. The 6.2/6.5 engines want the pedal held to 50% for temperatures under 50° (or somewhere nearby) during starting. The videographer appeared to do no such thing.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These engines run on straight explosions and anger. What would kill a gasoline engine (detonation) is exactly what the diesel engine exploits for it's operation. They are supremely strong on the bottom end and as long as you allow them to properly warm up before putting them under a huge load you'll be fine.

I would be much more worried about the engine oil pump on the 3126 and the C7 at these low temps. They have idler gear bushing issues. It's on my list of things to do. @Lostchain had to replace the oil pump on his 2003 at around 6k miles. His idler gear was starting to get sloppy and his low oil pressure warning would come on when the engine got really working in the summer. Replacement pump doubled his oil pressure. This is a known issue but shows up faster on these trucks due to the engine running at near redline just to keep up with traffic (without ECO hubs).

87cr250r

I use cylinder cutout tests to diagnose engines. I'll run 12 and 16 cylinder CAT engines on 3 cylinders. These cylinders run near torque limits and they bang like a cold start engine. It's not a problem. Just imagine the cylinders are making the same sounds they would at full power but are drowned out by the racket of the adjacent cylinders.

When you cold start a diesel or makes lots of noise and smoke because it isn't running on all cylinders and the ones that are running do all of the work like a cylinder cutout test.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These engines run on straight explosions and anger. What would kill a gasoline engine (detonation) is exactly what the diesel engine exploits for it's operation. They are supremely strong on the bottom end and as long as you allow them to properly warm up before putting them under a huge load you'll be fine.

I would be much more worried about the engine oil pump on the 3126 and the C7 at these low temps. They have idler gear bushing issues. It's on my list of things to do. @Lostchain had to replace the oil pump on his 2003 at around 6k miles. His idler gear was starting to get sloppy and his low oil pressure warning would come on when the engine got really working in the summer. Replacement pump doubled his oil pressure. This is a known issue but shows up faster on these trucks due to the engine running at near redline just to keep up with traffic (without ECO hubs).
Great, another item to add to the list. Well, at least I got C6 clutch bearing replaced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks