• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold weather starting

eddiec

Which do you prefer, the intake heater, or the ether starting system, and why? I have had a few of both, just wondering what everyone thinks.:roll:

NorthWoodsDuce

I have the ether setup on my truck. Works great. In Wisconsin you do need some setup for cold starts. I also have a coolant heater on mine, but I'm not always near electricity when cold start is needed.

GoHot229

I was going through my fuel system today getting ready for the cold, to make sure that my manifold heater did in fact work. My in-tank fuel pump was not working, so I bit the bullit and decided to see what the problem was. I pulled the cap on top of the pump, ueeccckkkk, yea it was the typical tin mine inside loaded with rust and last Thanksgiving leftovers. Well some PB Blaster to start with and a pen knife had it looking pretty good in about 5 minuates. I went ahead and pulled the tank because it still didn't run. Well got all the securing screws out and wiggeled out the pump and frame and set it on the step next to the batteries and got out my test wire/clip cables and hooked the ground and the possative up there, then the ground to the pump frame and then touched the power cable of the pump....walllaaaaaa,........pumping action........yes! ! So I installed the pump back after looking in my tank with a flashlight to see the condition of the tank bottom, and suprise, suprise, it looked Really clean, great ! ! So all back togather and cinched up it still had no power to the pump....awwwwwwww.... Well all that was left was the fuse, so I go out to the Van and look in the glovebox and find a couple new 25 amp fuses the right length, put one in and fliped the dash switch and hummmmmmmmmmmmmm...... ALRIGHT ! So as the guys here on the forum keep telling newbs, "check the fuse". Well now I have a functioning in-tank pump and I'm thinking that that will help on the Manifold Heater with starting, because obviously the Manifold Heater wasnt getting any fuel to fire after the first blast, at least I'm guessing, So last year when I was trying to use the dash switch for the heater to ignite the manifold, it probably wasn't working past one residual first fireing, if that? Now we'll just have to wait till it gets way down in the temps here to see how it works, but at least I'm ready for it.

saddamsnightmare

December 3rd, 2009.

EddieC:

If I could only get my old girl to crank at below 32*F, I prefer the intake manifold heater to the ether system, the manifold heaters less likely to put your truck to sleep.(Diesels really hate ether in actuality). My girl will start the pump and the heater, but there must be a loose connection on the starter relay or starter that I have yet to locate. The batteries are 6UTL or HT's, about 1-1/2 years old, bought new in January 2008. For some reason it never gets below 32*F around here until you need the truck. I'm looking for a spot in way south Texas (or Hawaii) where I will never need the heater unit again...., but my luck will see me sent to Minnesota or somewhere really cold on the next posting!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

NB: Whatever works counts!:twisted:

dittle

Either.....wait a moment, thats all my truck has so I'm partial to it I guess :roll: Diesels may "hate" either but as long as the injection system is working properly on a Deuce you shouldn't do any damage to the engine when using it (Disclaimer....previous statement does not include intentional misuse or other stupidity)

800summit

The manifold system works for me because the truck came with it when I purchased it. I have no problems with it. It starts right up at 20 F. I engauge it for 2 seconds before starting, leave it enguaged as it starts then disengauge it after 3 seconds after it is running. I have not tried this at -20 F for good reason. the seat is too hard at those temps:razz:

Varyag

I had to give mine a shot of fluid to start last night. I cranked on it for like 3 min before I finally gave in.

I really need to get my ether bottle replaced.

oldshep

Went out to start my truck this morning. Hit the button and nothing:-x So i got out the ol' Louisville Slugger and tapped the starter and relay. It worked. It was 25 degrees so i just feathered the accel. a lil and it blew a good amount of smoke. Multis sound good when they're cold! Ive never needed a heater or anything.

DanJP2

I was about to ask the same thing!

Heres an example.

The weather is 20 degress outside in NJ and the wind chill said feels like 0 outside what do I do and have to worry about?

The truck im buying does not have any manifold heater or artic heater. The truck isn't going to be parked by electic. I do have a small camping generator tho.

Thanks in advance for any help and info you have for me.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
first wind chill does not matter, it does not affect vehicles, only people and animals.
IF your injectors are good and you have good batteries (300 rpm cranking) it will start right up at 20° with maybe 5 seconds cranking. hold throttle on floor when starting for max fuel injection, clutch in to remove load of cold trans. a simple way to start a cold diesel is to aim a propane torch into the intake to preheat the air.

DanJP2

first wind chill does not matter, it does not affect vehicles, only people and animals.
IF your injectors are good and you have good batteries (300 rpm cranking) it will start right up at 20° with maybe 5 seconds cranking. hold throttle on floor when starting for max fuel injection, clutch in to remove load of cold trans. a simple way to start a cold diesel is to aim a propane torch into the intake to preheat the air.
I was thinking of getting the electric block heater a member is selling and start up my generator and plug it in for a while to help warm things up.

I was told in cold weather don't leave the parking brake oon so it don't freeze to the hubs?

greenjeepster

I was about to ask the same thing!

Heres an example.

The weather is 20 degress outside in NJ and the wind chill said feels like 0 outside what do I do and have to worry about?

The truck im buying does not have any manifold heater or artic heater. The truck isn't going to be parked by electic. I do have a small camping generator tho.

Thanks in advance for any help and info you have for me.
Yes windchill has limited effect on machinery; except under certain conditions windchill can be -50 at 20 F and it doesn't matter.

Arctic heaters warm people up, not engines:wink:

Okay.... You have all kinds of options for cold starting without electricity available. The generator is not going to do a block heater much good unless you run it all night. ether is quick, easy and safe for diesels.... says so right on the can:wink: Salamander type heater pointed under the truck on a cold morning will warm it up enough to start her. torch on air intake will also work, but is also time consuming. Quick connects into the cooling system of the deuce and run to quick connects on the cooling system of a nice warm pickup will circulate warm water through and help with starting a cold diesel truck as well.

dittle

I was told in cold weather don't leave the parking brake oon so it don't freeze to the hubs?
The parking brake is on a drum in the drive line, not at the hubs. You could have 1 of 2 things happen in the cold (note the COULD not will)

1. Parking brake cable freezes up (more common) not allowing you to either apply or release the brake

2. Condensation causes the parking brake pad to freeze to the drum (less likely)

GoHot229

Ok, the in-tank pump is working now and its 30 degrees in the early morning. Everythings frozen and I get in the Deuce and hit the button without the manifold heater, it hits and 'sorta fires, same as before the pump fix. Second hit, I use the manifold heater dash-switch, instantly fires and runs for 10-15 seconds, same thing again with M/H switch, fires and stays running and idles untill warm. Before the pump fix, it might take 10-12 hits to fire and stay running.

dittle

Fired mine up for about 30 minutes yesterday to stir the oil/charge the batteries. 18 degrees out facing into the wind. Cranking w/out any starting assistance and it was trying to go but rather than cranking it until something went wrong I gave it a quick shot of either using the onboard system and it took off like it was 80 out. No diesel clang/rattle or anything with the either.

dabtl

I does not get cold enough here to worry about for most of the time. If it is too cold, I am not driving anyway.:-D

But, I recently saw a magnetic clamp on heater and thought about that for a few seconds. Have any of you ever used one of these on your deuce?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks