Colorado Bill SB19-054 RE: (Former) Military Vehicle Motor Vehicle Regulation

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Atmus

My guess is that the CO DRIVES system probably demands a 17 digit VIN when entered with a 1981 or newer year. NSNs, serial numbers, etc. probably can't be recognized by the software. There may be a way forward here by setting up a system to get a CO assigned VIN.
I'd be surprised. I'm professionally involved with the drives system and I'm not convinced they use any kind of data input sanitation at all.

Reactions: 98G

SgtMajHarper

I'd be surprised. I'm professionally involved with the drives system and I'm not convinced they use any kind of data input sanitation at all.
I've been on pins and needles since this whole mess started, my truck and trailer registration renewals came last month and I wondered what shenanigans they would try at DOR. No problem; sailed right thru without a hitch, I have a 5 digit VIN on a 1967 truck and a 4 digit VIN on a 1960 trailer.

41cl8m5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wyowillys46 is correct the issue is 1981 and newer needing 17 digit vin numbers. Vehicles originally designed and used by the military only have serial numbers and most don't come close to 17 digits in Colorado.

Now the rub is 1981 and newer and the fact the AM General put that letter out that the HMMWV to all the states folks in charge of the DMVs nation wide was never designed to fuction on the state highway system. This letter was written by highly paid lawyers who are looking out for their client interests only. First instead of saying HMMWV it's written as Highly Mobility Multipurpose Wheels Vehicles designed for the U.S. and other Militaries, leading those to think who are reading this letter that it applies to ALL VEHICLES OF MILITARY ORIGIN! Also the date starting production of the Military Hummer was after 1981 so the letter addresses the serial number versus the civilian Hummer having a actual 17 digit vin number and only the Hummer brand with the 17 digit vin can be titled for ON ROAD USE ONLY, the vehicles with serial numbers were never ment to be used on the public highway system by private citizens so these vehicles should only be titled for OFF ROAD USE ONLY.....

You can see how this letter and the interpretation of it has just messed up everything. AM General is happy as a fat cat about it maintains their control of interest. Also with all the other makes of vehicles that been put into the pot with this letter the value of the market goes down because only the scrapers will bid on these auctions and most will end up scrapped.

Now back to the HMMWV and the Hummer. Same running gear, same frame, same body. And just like the modern Jeep you can remove the doors, remove the top,lower the windshield. So what is the difference? Hold on NHSTA requires 3 point seat belts, ok both have that or can be modified. Side impact beams, what about the Jeep and removable doors? Now air bag and padded dash I'll give you that one but that is required manufactured new and the original receiver of the vehicle would know of the non conformance.. now we are not talking new, we are talking used and most used vehicle purchases are assumed as "as is and where is" with any and all defects known or unknown also. So why is it such a big deal?

Reactions: cwc

Steve86

I just purchased a M998 from Arizona thinking I could register it in Colorado. After I got it,the DMV let me know the laws had changed so I found this thread. What are the chances I'll actually get a license plate for this any time soon?

Another Ahab

I just purchased a M998 from Arizona thinking I could register it in Colorado. After I got it,the DMV let me know the laws had changed so I found this thread. What are the chances I'll actually get a license plate for this any time soon?
Whatever the law "on the books", typically one is eligible to file an exception.

That's the way the program works for zoning law anyway (which is the limit of my experience).

But it might also apply to other legislation (but if you go that route you got to be willing to do all the homework and filing).

SgtMajHarper

I'd say the short answer is "not good" and "not soon".....lots of history up thru the thread on what Colo. DOR has been doing about no longer registering previously titled and licensed military vehicles. The last thing that may have helped us got slammed when the "Chi-com flu" hit and the legislature bunkered down at home for @ 3 months and did no work. "Maybe" they will take it up next year for a "maybe" early fall time frame law change, but think they were only going to allow 40 year old ( maybe 30?) or older to be registered as a collector.

Atmus

Does anyone know for sure either way if trailers affected by this? There are a couple equipment trailers nearby that I think would be pretty good as a base for a project I've been planning on for awhile.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know for sure either way if trailers affected by this? There are a couple equipment trailers nearby that I think would be pretty good as a base for a project I've been planning on for awhile.
Not totally sure, but the laws are specifically referring to motorized vehicles. Trailers are not motor vehicles.

SgtMajHarper

I had no problem getting my 1960 M101 trailer re-registered this year; it only has a 4 digit VIN, but it was a renewal, not a first time register deal. I do know a guy that last year went to re-register his previously licensed M101 trailer and they (DOR) made him get a state issued "homemade trailer" VIN plate to be able to register it.

A "homemade trailer" VIN is actually pretty easy; build your trailer "from parts", make out a little statement saying I got this part here and that part there, think pickup bed trailer turned into junk hauler. Be sure to value the parts cheap as they tax you for how expensive it is, smaller trailers are easier, not sure how big you can go until they require it be weighed. Kind of a pain in the rear process, but it let's you get license plates and a title.

Atmus

Well it was a Wednesday, but only had to hold for 30 minutes.

The lady on the phone didn't understand the distinction between military and non-military trailers, but the supervisor said there wouldn't be a problem registering it so long as I can prove I bought it legally and it passes (or rather, doesn't fail) a VIN verification. I was very specific about it being ex-military property and my concern being that would disqualify it from registration.

However, neither of them knew I couldn't register a m923, so I don't know how much stock I'm putting into this answer.

41cl8m5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Colorado Legislator tabled everything not finalized when they got back from the COVID 19 "stay at home orders" to work on a bunch of new stuff that due to political issues of the times had more priority. The Legislator is now closed for 2020.

So, hopefully next year we get to ether start over from the beginning or if things line up right maybe go from the point the new bill left off. At this point it's anyone's guess. Remember there is an election before the state of Colorado rule makers get back to business in January 2021.

Also we will be working with the same ill informed Colorado DMV and the DMV bosses the Colorado DOR folks that just have a single thought pattern and it is very hard to come to an agreement with everyone that gets involved. It's a bunch of folks that number almost as much as the members in the MVCC (Military Vehicle Collector's of Colorado) , about 100. Some against some for. And I'm not talking about the Legislators that do the voting. Just the ones giving arguments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks