• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Colorado Bill SB19-054 RE: (Former) Military Vehicle Motor Vehicle Regulation

Another Ahab

Sorry for the rant. Just frustrated. I know CO is only one of many states that has a problem with MV's, but it's the state I'm in so it's the one I have the biggest problem with.
If you're willing to work for it, a suggesstion:

- Most State Senators have an office in various parts of their respective states

- Find that closest office to you. Make an appointment to meet there with a member of staff.

- Bring a brief written summary of your issue (like just a copy of your post, above)

- Spell out your problem, and ask what can be done.

- Then, follow-up, follow-up, follow-up

It's not easy, but the process does have precedent. And I only know this because one of our daughters had an internship back in her college days with a Senator of Virginia. She handled a multitude of issues, including a few like yours.

Just an idea.

TMOMW

the ONLY way to fix the issue in CO is to have a law passed. the issue is that when you guys redid your DMV computer system they forgot to put the MV option in. the contractor wanted 50k to fix the system, so the dem statehouse took that and ran with it. now you cant get a MV titled / tagged in CO due to that. i have been working on this in your state for 3 years and now all the R lawmakers are gun shy about trying to submit another bill in your state house to do that. you can do what others are doing in your state and get a LLC in another state and get plates that way (tx).. other than that you are screwed living in a blue state right now. if you can find a sen or rep that will take up your cause i will be more than happy to help as i did in many other states (4 wins so far) as i am doing in OK right now. good luck, let me know if you need anything.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, CO just denied my attempt to get a 17 digit VIN and title assigned to my HMMWV. Even though there is no rule I can find saying they won't assign a VIN to a MV (or off-higway vehicle for that matter).

The State Patrol had no problem inspecting it and the DMV took my paperwork and $ of course, but they responded that I need to go to the Parks and Recreation Department since it's an off-road vehicle.

Not sure what I'm going to try and do next. I think this is nuts. It's just a freaking car. It's got all lights, mirrors, 3-pt seat belts, has a catalytic converter etc, etc. It doesn't have armor, guns or tracks... I probably should have painted it pink and tried to make it look as non-military as possible before going to the DMV.

Sorry for the rant. Just frustrated. I know CO is only one of many states that has a problem with MV's, but it's the state I'm in so it's the one I have the biggest problem with.
That just plain sucks donkey water through a sewer hose 🤬! Up here in Wyoming, I haven’t had any problems with titling my 10 military vehicles, the oldest of which is a 1944 G506. I’m a firm believer in Karma. These poofters are going to get a big Karma bite!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you're willing to work for it, a suggesstion:

- Most State Senators have an office in various parts of their respective states

- Find that closest office to you. Make an appointment to meet there with a member of staff.

- Bring a brief written summary of your issue (like just a copy of your post, above)

- Spell out your problem, and ask what can be done.

- Then, follow-up, follow-up, follow-up

It's not easy, but the process does have precedent. And I only know this because one of our daughters had an internship back in her college days with a Senator of Virginia. She handled a multitude of issues, including a few like yours.

Just an idea.
Ya know... I think @Another Ahab is onto something jrtoffroad.

We all know without question that what you are going through is BS. Problem is knowing that and not being able to scream foul and actually get something done can't really be fixed without from your congressman. You have tried doing it the right way - and some bureaucrat has decided to make this difficult. If you go see the guy or gal you voted for, they have a reason to listen. Especially if you can keep your emotions out of the picture.

Standing in front of somebody with your problem has a reason to at least listen...

jrtoffroad

Thanks for the great responses guys! A while back I wrote a letter to one of our representatives, but of course heard no response. I will look into getting a face to face meeting. I'd love to help get this fixed. Very interesting to hear the DMV computer system was part or all of the reason for this headache.

In parallel I think I'll also look into an LLC with a beautiful Montana view.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That just plain sucks donkey water through a sewer hose 🤬! Up here in Wyoming, I haven’t had any problems with titling my 10 military vehicles, the oldest of which is a 1944 G506. I’m a firm believer in Karma. These poofters are going to get a big Karma bite!
Are you from England or there abouts? The English are the only folks i ever herd use the term poofter ! ?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In CO?

I'm still awaiting my SF97 and Title from Gov Planet. I'll try again when I finally get that. I've been to the DMV a few times now and always get a different story. The VIN assignment seemed like a great option and would get me a title from a Bill of Sale only, but oh well.
Yes, in Colorado. It doesn't need a VIN to get a title and registration. (At least when I did it in 2016, and until I moved away a few months ago.)

SgtMajHarper

Thanks for the great responses guys! A while back I wrote a letter to one of our representatives, but of course heard no response. I will look into getting a face to face meeting. I'd love to help get this fixed. Very interesting to hear the DMV computer system was part or all of the reason for this headache.

In parallel I think I'll also look into an LLC with a beautiful Montana view.
Colo. DOR won't give you a VIN, because they are hard left against registering any previously owned by the military vehicles. @ 3 years ago (before the last governor election) it wasn't an issue, they would register military vehicles just using the vehicle ID number. They have since started rescinding previously issued titles and license plates on military vehicles and changing them to off road use only based on a screwed up law they passed for a guy that sells surplus military vehicles for farm use. I wouldn't hold my breath on waiting for the politicos to change their mind, Colo. is getting more n more set in pink concrete.

Personally, I registered my M561 at my summer residence in MT with no issues and permanent license plates. I know of a few LLC guys "up here". I'm in the sail boat fuel business of acquisitions and transfer.

Good luck !

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK ! What is the definition of a poofter in your readings ?
The individual in the story was a retired soldier who spent his career in scouts. He was addressing a group of “trainees” that couldn’t tell their back end from a hole in the ground. IMHO, he was commenting on their lack of masculine characteristics.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The individual in the story was a retired soldier who spent his career in scouts. He was addressing a group of “trainees” that couldn’t tell their back end from a hole in the ground. IMHO, he was commenting on their lack of masculine characteristics.
LOL that was a politically correct anwser ! In a plainer version of that boys that like other boys was the true english/irish/scotish ! It was never sent as a compliment ! Thats why i was trying to grasp what you were saying in your statement was what i was thinking lmao Thanks

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL that was a politically correct anwser ! In a plainer version of that boys that like other boys was the true english/irish/scotish ! It was never sent as a compliment ! Thats why i was trying to grasp what you were saying in your statement was what i was thinking lmao Thanks
In today’s world, saying things in short chopped sentences gets you tookus in kink.

Carmancraig

It appears to be refining the definition of the terms "Historic Military Vehicle" and "Surplus Military Vehicle" as to the ability to legally operate it on Highway or restrict that vehicle to off highway use. It is confusing as it also has some sort of exemption for HMMWV. It appears to me that the Surplus type are those ex military vehicles that are modified from the original military use and design to something more custom for the end user. Things such as appearance, comfort, color, purpose, speed, road-ability, emissions, performance etc. For example, a vehicle that is modified for use in logging, mining, farming, recovery, construction etc is not Historical. While someone that keeps the vehicle looking and functioning the way the military had it is more "historical". It is rather challenging just finding all the cross references in such legislation and which original document is being proposed to change. definitely not making things easy to figure out.
Has anyone started a class action lawsui yet? !!!!

Carmancraig

None I have heard of. Any idea of how much it would cost, know a really good lawyer who does such things?
I just started sending feelers out to look! Please do the same! I started talking to ranchers supply in Lamar who does deconditioned sales, maybe you can call them too! The business owners are a central aspect of impact!

SgtMajHarper

I just started sending feelers out to look! Please do the same! I started talking to ranchers supply in Lamar who does deconditioned sales, maybe you can call them too! The business owners are a central aspect of impact!
Just curious if you have read back in the archives for the last 2 or 3 years as to this issue? This latest thread you are on is in reference to a 2019 attempt to fix a problem the legislature created a couple of years earlier. It cut out Ranchers Supply in Lamar from selling their "surplus" trucks. The legislature then did fix for them that screwed the rest of us when the current admin. took office with their interpretation of the deal to help Ranchers Supply. Since Ranchers Supply now can sell trucks again, I'd be surprised if they would want to rock the boat. Just one guys opinion.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
removed due to language
I have been in touch with the SEMA Auto Network. They have been active in fighting these restrictions, but their efforts are not focused on those of us who buy a decommissioned rig for personal, business or recreational use.
It's not just one state doing this... unfortunately it's a political issue when it comes to which states are pushing anti-military regulations - you can guess which ideology is pro vs con.

SAN is addressing the "hobby use" of decommissioned vehicles...
It would not hurt to flood their emails with our concerns!
SAN@SEMA.org
Attention Colby Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

TMOMW

I have been in touch with the SEMA Auto Network. They have been active in fighting these restrictions, but their efforts are not focused on those of us who buy a decommissioned rig for personal, business or recreational use.
It's not just one state doing this... unfortunately it's a political issue when it comes to which states are pushing anti-military regulations - you can guess which ideology is pro vs con.

SAN is addressing the "hobby use" of decommissioned vehicles...
It would not hurt to flood their emails with our concerns!
SAN@SEMA.org
Attention Colby Martin
sema has changed its focus again, for a little wile they were pro MV then not.... i have 6 (about to be 7) laws passed and they told me they are no longer working on the MV issue.... just like the mvpa.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks