• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Combat wheels, FMTV wheels, HEMTT wheels

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the adapter that I have come up with for my hub pilot wheels to be used with stud pilot hub and pic of the 12" wide rim, using the same bolt circle and center. These go with the 450 Sand Trail tires for operation on sand and limited road.

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmn, I put 53" XZL's on my 5T combact rims from my M932A2. Bad idea?
No, not bad. They are bigger but the beads are correct and as far as I know, OEM 16.00 is on a 10" wide rim. Personally I like a wider rim because of sidewall stress, but I have yet to see a wider rim that fits the five ton. That's partially why I'm making wider rims, but in my case for the Sand Trail tires that are as wide as the 16.00 but only 49".

Here is the comparison to the 14.00 re width.

Note I don't know if 16.00's fit the rear without touching together...they have to be very close.

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any concerns with using MRAP alloys with 53s on my 818? Will I get full steering?
Are they aluminum MRAP's with 11.25" bolt circle? If so, see if they take a curved chamfer lug-nut like this;

I know there are others here that can tell you about steering, I haven't went beyond 11.00 on an 809 series. I sold my 817 and hope to pick up another, then use these sand trails on the rear and 14.00 on the front. Going to 53" would require some clearance calculations affecting the wheel offset. Must work, others are doing it.

On my rims, I moved the center -line 1" outward with my rim mod. What would using your rims do to the center-line of the tire?

Attachments

Last edited:

grendel

I thought the tires would rub at lock to lock, due to the offset of the combat wheel... have not run it yet.

I could do a spacer or recenter them.

ScubaCat

I know others have used HEMTT wheels and 53s on their 809s and IIRC, the HEMTT wheels move the tire further in than the MRAP wheels do. Am I wrong in my recollection?

Are they aluminum MRAP's with 11.25" bolt circle? If so, see if they take a curved chamfer lug-nut like this;

I know there are others here that can tell you about steering, I haven't went beyond 11.00 on an 809 series. I sold my 817 and hope to pick up another, then use these sand trails on the rear and 14.00 on the front. Going to 53" would require some clearance calculations affecting the wheel offset. Must work, others are doing it.

On my rims, I moved the center -line 1" outward with my rim mod. What would using your rims do to the center-line of the tire?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know others have used HEMTT wheels and 53s on their 809s and IIRC, the HEMTT wheels move the tire further in than the MRAP wheels do. Am I wrong in my recollection?
Maybe , yes.
See post #4: the HEMTT-wheels have two inches less backspace than the most common (steel) MRAP wheels, so the tire moves further out, not in.
Not sure about the specs of your particular aluminum wheels, but they might not be that much different. You can always measure and compare, of course.

G.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ke5eua went through this with his 818.

The short version is that MRAP rims won't work.

I've used 16s with 5ton combat rims on 939trucks, and hemtt rims with 16's on an 818 and 939 series trucks. The 16s rubbed left front with 5ton combat rims on an M923. No issues with hemtt rims.

My opinion - go with hemtt rims.

You may also want to raise the bed on your 818 when you mount it. It's possible for 16's to contact the bed on an M923 at full articulation....

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need some advice from those who have super singled their 5 ton.

I have a m923.

I plan on using goodyear mtv 395/85/20

I have just picked up 3 brand new tires mounted on brand new fmtv wheels. I also have a set of 8 of the newer 5 ton combat wheels.

I was going to break down the fmtv wheels and mount them on my combat wheels but started thinking why don't I just mount the fronts with the new fmtv wheel combos and mount 4 combat wheels on the back. Thinking of the saving my back some wear and tear, plus only having to mount 4 wheels instead of 7. The 3rd fmtv combo will become my spare. Also then thought I could sell a set of 4 brand new combat wheels and regain some $.

Thanks to gringeltaube for posting the diagrams.

From what I can tell, the measurements look almost identical. Will this work or I missing something?

Only negative I can see if I rotate the tires, I will have a mis matched set on the back but when mounted on the rear; I think they will look identical with dish in side by side?

Other question, The rims have brand new ctis valves and plumbing. Will fmtv standard valve stems have threads internally so I can add a shrader valve when I remove the ctis components?

I appreciate any help or insight you can share?
Hello juanprado,

Did you ever put the fmtv wheels on your M923? I was thinking about swapping my 14.00r20's on combat wheels out for 395/85r20's already mounted on fmtv wheels. I was wondering if there was any front rubbing issues with the 395's like with the 16.00r20's? Any other issues discovered?
Also does anybody know if you can put combat wheel valve stems in fmtv wheels, for use with the CTIS on the rear of an M939A2?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I do have 2 fmtv steel wheels off a camian on the front. No problems with rubbing or clearance what so ever. They do have the run flats and wiegh a zillion pounds but I wanted the safety on front. I am running combat wheels on the back. The difference in tracking from Measurements peashooter posted on different wheels is like .0002. No way to tell that on a 5 ton. I am very happy with the goodyears 395. Awesome offroad traction and civilized handling on interstate.

I do not have ctis so I can not advise. I think the camians did because the valve stem is an odd size that I could not find caps for. The problem is that fmtv wheels are not all beveled on both sides for lugs as most are dish out in the rear unlike the m939 which is dish in the back. Not sure how that will affect ctis as the valve holes are in a different location.

74M35A2

Has anybody here confirmed HEMTT rims are plug-and-play for use on front of M939a2 (primary interest in going to 16's)? Concerns seems to be stock wheel stud length for additional 0.350" of thickness in lug nut area of rim, in addition to CTIS wheel valve carry-over from stock combat rim to HEMTT rim? I assume the HEMTT used CTIS since it is a newer vehicle, so should be provisions for it? Just a bolt pattern issue for the wheel valve and guard plate?

Also, why is stock called a "combat" rim?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's called a combat rim because the tire can be shot full of holes but will not come off the bead, allowing the vehicle to continue to drive and fight.

74M35A2

Interesting, thanks. Is there a specific design on this rim which permits this, which is not found on the others? Is this independent of bead-locks? Apology for all the base level questions.

M939a2 front wheel stud length for HEMTT rims and combat rim CTIS wheel valve transplant onto HEMTT rim questions still open...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will bring this back to the top with a handy tool that most of us should have in our toolbox or even on the truck. I have one just cause sometimes the studs just get pesky. Even the bead lock studs and nuts.

$100 usually on amazon. Sure beats a wire brush. Just search for "stud cleaning tool"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUrPAS8HPQ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks