• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job as always Zout. I really like the tires and that spare carrier is too cool. Have no idea about the brake cylinders but will be looking forward to the answer.

beanman1

Every day Zout shows up to work with this bbbbbiiiiiiiigggggg grin on his face. I tell him good morning only to get a reply that says "Come look at this." I make my way to his office to take a look and up on the show me box (computer) and there it is, the M43B1. I t makes me sick because now I have to find a wrag or paper towel to wipe up the drool that ran out of my mouth and on to the floor.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel cylinders are dumb. They haven't a clue where they are mounted and don't care either. As long as the bleeders are at the top, they bolt up and the lines attach correctly, makes no difference. I can't imagine them using different bore sizes from side to side, that would be dumber than the wheel cylinders are. If your bores are the same size, no worries.

zout

what is more funny - is that in the OLE days you could buy the complete wheel cyl rebuilt kit WITH pistons - vendors laugh at you now about asking for them.

How about a thermostat that has a gasket in the box without having to ask for a seperate gasket now a-days - geeeeeeeeez o pete.

How about a tubo that comes complete with gaskets and o rings - you have to order everything seperate now - what the H**

Its easier to not rebuild and see if your component is ok on a rebuild - but no one knows or cares how to do it anymore - cause you can just order a new one.

Here is one for you: Re-lined brakes shoes. You order a complete set of 8. $10.00 core charge and they charge you interest till they receive them cores.
You pay $32.00 a set of relined ones. They can reline you cores for $18.00 or less. IF they sell at least 50 full sets that vendor has made over $7200.00 on customers.

Oldfart

OK - here is a good question:
Neither brake cylinder has left or right stampings on it nor did the ones that were on there - this is the same for the rears. I see no difference in the cylinders UNLESS there is an internal difference. Either will mount perfectly to the other side and the brake lines mount the same to either one - WHAT is the difference in them ??

Same-same. In the interest of not having lots of different parts to stock or ship they are the same. Because the brakes are Hauck type, both the front and rear bores are the same. M37 brakes are not self actuating so they are a little less powerful, but they work equally in either direction.

Ghostdriver

Looks great, really like the tires - they're mean looking! Just try and stop her, she'll go anywhere with that rubber. How awesome that you have scored an IV. If I can get mine locomoting under its own power and painted some shade of green in time for the airshow, I'll be happy. All your pics have been really helpful to me, so I know what to paint where. You have done a splendid job.

zout

Got the acid in the 2 - 4HN 24v bateries last night and cleaned up my mess. They were pretty much done perculating this morning so I washed em off and tossed em in with a rubber mount pad under them. These are 24v individually and YES that is how I will cable them in. The post connectors are fricking awesome and heavy duty - gives a great stud to work as a contact point.

Got the underside all undercoated this morning and decided to shoot the tunnel and clean up the 17 coats of paint off the shifter boot while I was at it. In a small scale this will help noise (yeah right) and at least weather proof it as well.

Got the rear threshold plate in - the bottom door latch blocks need to go in yet - there is NO access room in this area - it is a squared tube. The plates with studs in them got cut off (not by me) and that shows NOT to have helpers with power tools around you that have not done stuff like this before and those that do not ask questions before they hack something off and do not tell you about it later.

Patiently waiting to see the UPS truck drive up with the rear cylinders and waiting for a call to see if I can get another vehicle or not - mine took a crap last week and had to walk home a couple days - this lard a** needs the exercise anyhow.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel cylinders are dumb. They haven't a clue where they are mounted and don't care either. As long as the bleeders are at the top, they bolt up and the lines attach correctly, makes no difference. I can't imagine them using different bore sizes from side to side, that would be dumber than the wheel cylinders are. If your bores are the same size, no worries.
But the bores aren't the same size.

My question would be why the M37 wheel cylinders have different piston sizes while the M35 are the same? If you just get all right hand side 37 wc then the larger piston will be in the front on one side and in the rear on the other. That's going to give you more pressure on the front of the drum on one side of the vehicle than the opposite side. Someone must have thought it was important enough to design them that way and to continue to sell them by the side versus universal.

Pics:
1) M37 wheel cylinder pistons
2) M35 wheel cylinder pistons

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

That is a good pic of the pistons - thx.
The 43 in its configuration has more weight on the rear than a normal 37 - but if they loaded a 37 to spec - the extra braking assistance would come into play.

IF all they did were the pistons and bore and left the shoes the same diameter giving the rear more braking force kind of makes sence ? Which makes more sence stopping from the fronts with more force than the rear. Changing them all over to calipers and rotors really makes more safetly sence - but I want to leave it the way it was.

Hydraulic pressure through the same diameter lines - with the same size drums and shoes - with a single system instead of seperated into duals - takes more pressure to activate the larger pistons - someone driving may need to be in the ambulance if it has a braking issue.aua

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Pick of the IV bottle I'm sending just as soon as the bag comes. the cardboard at the end of the tube on the right has the needle in it, all period correct.

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

Very cool - Thx Tigger.

I know the brew keeps the tubing of the Camel Back Pac sanitized at all times when I am down there and have it on for a quick pic me up :beer:
We'll just get one of those fiberglass off road poles with the orange flag on it to hang it from the golf kart - you might end up off road anyhow.

zout

Midwest did send the cylinders last week 2nd day air so I would have had them by the weekend. The box is MIA and the reason for posting was to give JOHN up at Midwest Military a big thank you as of a litle while ago he is packing up another set and getting them sent out.

If the other box ever does decide to show up from oblivion - he can be sure they will be sent back as duplicated parts.

Thanks John

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake cylinders. I was unaware that they had different bore sizes front to back. Since the M37/43 doesn't have self energizing brakes, the engineers mush have felt that in order to get equal wear, they would use different bores on the back shoes. Anyone not understand the self energizing brakes?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had no idea they were different- might be a good thing I bought 8 rebuild kits off Ebay by accident. Hopefully I can find two rears and two fronts in the pile.

zout

4x4 - I know exactly what you are talking about:

Anyone not understand the self energizing brakes?

Seeing as there are quite a few folks dropping in on this thread and most likely will not say a work - Please elaborate exactly what you are bringing up so at least they have an idea - maybe we can enlighten someone at least.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main advantage claimed for drum brakes is that the shoe mountings can be designed to assist their own operation. This is called self-energizing. Less hydraulic pressure is then needed to stop the vehicle, which is why many older drum-braked vehicles didn’t use a brake booster.

Status
Not open for further replies.