• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Common Rain Leaks?

zeisshensoldt

It started to rain today, so I thought it would be a good idea to see what the inside of the cab looked like. Surprisingly it wasn't leaking at all from the soft top or windows, but instead water was pouring in from underneath the instrument panel and from under the steering wheel. Is this a common place for rain leaks? Also, I was wondering about the seal around the in-tank gas pump is that a good place for water to get into the fuel?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bad seal under the folding windsheld frame will cause and under dash water leak.

This one actually made me get up, walk outside and look at my 72 KJ M35A2. True story! Unless you have some bad rust issues, I'd be willing to bet the water is sneaking in under the windshield possibly near or under the safari latches, through the gap between the windshield frame and dash panel, rolling down inside the dash and down to the floor. I could be wrong here, but is it even possible to completely seal a deuce windshield and still be able to open it? Anyone? :mrgreen:

nk14zp

Here is how I fixed the pin holes in my wifes truck. I just ran a wide bead of caulking that covered the pin holes. The same thing should stop the leak DH posted about.

Attachments

zeisshensoldt

I'll take a look again. What about around the top of the in-tank fuel pump, common for water to get in around the seal?

I doubt the tank pump cover would leak unless it's been left loose, gasket removed, etc., but it's also covered by the bed unless you get some serious blowing rainstorms, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Any doubt? get a new gasket and make sure it's tight. Not too expensive but if finances just aren't allowing, the waxed cardboard used in 1/2-gallon milk cartons makes awsome gasket material, and you can use the original gasket for a pattern/template.
:beer:

m816

Almost all the deuces and five tons we have had in the shop have rust issues right where the cowl and windshield frame meet. I would bet that if you took a wire brush and ran it along that joint wyou will find several pin holes. We have been cutting the entire cowl out and replacing the steel with a continuous weld. We then grind it smooth, prime and paint it. Just be sure to double up the area where the hood bolts get mounted before welding. If in doubt of you welds, apply caulk for the entire length of the joint. after prime and before paint:beer:

jeeplvr247

My cucv leaked pretty bad through the windows and seal around the top but luckily i had plenty of rust induced drain holes in the floor boards to prevent puddles:)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure these things leaked a little right off the assembly line. They just aren't built that tight.

Best thing to do to prevent leaks is do what I did. Build a shed to park it under. :)

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a lot of water! Might want to strap a lifeboat to the side of your truck.

zeisshensoldt

I did check the cowling and there is a large rust hole in the center about 6 inches in length. Then there's a few other small holes on either side of it, so silicone to fix this?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did check the cowling and there is a large rust hole in the center about 6 inches in length. Then there's a few other small holes on either side of it, so silicone to fix this?

Grind it a little and MIG weld a patch on it like the military does. All my trucks were patched like that.