• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Complete deuce winch mounting bolt list

treeguy

With the suggestion from Smokinyoda I am posting this to help anyone looking to install the front winch frame extentions. This is a complete list of bolts needed to: mount winch frame extentions, your flipped bumper, and front shackles mounted top and on the bottom of your bumper to give you a total of four in the front which fits 7/8" standard shackles. This looks mean, but I needed it for 2" receiver mounting points. If you only want the top two you could trim the exposed threads. These nuts, bolts, lock washers are from MSC (industrial supply) 1-800-645-7270. They are a national supplier for the machinist industry. If you ask them to send you their Blue Book you will find supplies for any deuce project. The prices shown are from last year and may have even gone up since I ordered mine, but notice that the quality and price will definitly beat any local store. Some of the items are sold in packs or min. quantities but are still cheaper than your home center store. You'll figure out where they all go on your truck, don't worry.

These will be part numbers quoted for all grade 8 hardware:
86501970 1/2-20x11" bolt quantity: 4 $9.35 ea.,
86502564 5/8-18x11" bolt quantity: 2 $10.99 ea.,
74455031 1/2-20x1-1/2" bolts 50 pack min. $49.83/pack (you will use 32 of these),
85660157 5/8-18x1-1/2" bolts quantity: 4 $1.23 ea.,
85660207 5/8-18x2" bolts quantity: 4 $1.38 ea.,
85660306 5/8-18x3" bolts quantity: 4 $2.00 ea.,
05724844 1/2" gr. 8 lock washer 100 pack min. $9.27/pack,
05724869 5/8" gr. 8 lock washer 100 pack min. $15.61/pack,
67472282 1/2" gr. 8 nuts 100 pack min. $21.11/pack,
67472365 5/8" gr. 8 nuts 50 pack min. $0.39/ea. = $19.50/pack.

This will get it all together, if you look thru the cataloge, they have higher grades like Lake Erie Grade 8, Armor Coat, and T9, but the prices get higher. Like I said I paid just about $200 with shiping and got them the next day because they have a branch in my state. I prefer lock washers than the lock nuts that the military use, you can't thread them by hand.

When you got the frame extentions, did you also get the three 1/2"diameter tubes and the two 5/8" washers that are 1/4" thick that go under the grill mount brackets to take up the empty space? I thoroughly appologize for telling you anything that you already know, I just want to help so you don't miss anything. It took me a long time to figure the measurements when I did mine, so I know what its like.
TIP FOR ASSEMBLY: I always coat bolts with marine grease as well as mating surfaces. This repells water (ie. corrosion) at joints and keeps threads strong by prohibiting corrosion. (Boat mechanic tip) Next assemble everything together FINGER tight first!!!!! Due to any minor misalignments, if you bolt the whole rig together as you go, things may not line up and you'll have to go back and loosen things up. This will cause a giant headache. If all the bolts are left loose you can tweek where you need to.

Once its all together then tighten the he!! out of the nuts, but be a little easy on the 1/2"er's they could strip out. If you go too tight you will deform the lock washers (done it). I'm not sure of the exact torque for 1/2" fine and 5/8" fine hardware but I used a 1/2" drive breaker bar by hand to finish mine off tight. Some of the nuts are accessable with an air gun but the others you need to wrench by hand will definitly have a lesser torque so I opted to tighten it all by hand so they are all uniform.

Then go back and check them all again. There are 50 bolts so you may miss one or two, look for them they are there. I hope this can help anyone converting to a truck w/w. Good luck!rofl

Last edited:

treeguy

I just double checked something that I wanted to add.

If you are reusing your triangle bumper supports and not the ones that come off a deuce with winch you will need to fabricate a spacer shim. The winch truck triangles have a 1/4" thick rectangle plate with two holes that match the shackle mount welded to the top two triangles. The no winch trucks shackle mount front sits on your bumper and the tail end use to sit and bolt thru the grill mount. Now, with YOUR triangles the shackle mount will still sit on your bumper but there will be a gap of 1/4" between the tail end and the frame extention. You could use 5/8" x 1/4" thick washers like at the grill mount or a plate with two holes. I set the shackle mount on the bumper and dropped in the front two bolts then slid in a piece of 1/4" plate, traced the outline and marked the two holes in the tail end. After removing the plate I cut out and drilled it then made three more (two for the top and two fro the bottom shackle mounts - optional- ).

The other thing is, if you just want to use the top two shackle mounts, two bolts on the list will be different.

Remove 2 of 85660306 - 5/8"-18x3" bolt

Add 2 more 85660157 - 5/8"-18x1-1/2" bolt for a total of 6 of these

The 11" bolts will still be necessary because 10" bolts are too short. These long bolts are not plated so I primed and painted and greased them. They will be permanently living inside tubes so will rust (Did you get to see the ones that came off the other truck? Boat trailers in salt water even when regularly hosed down will have the interior bolt shafts corrode away looking like a bowtie shape - over time of course.)

My only concern is if I will be able to slide the winch in between the side plates with all the layers of paint. This may be tight or loose depending on the play of the frame extention fit. Smokinyoda, could you let us know how this goes when you do yours?
[thumbzup]

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I tighened my bolts with a big air gun... so far havent had any problems...
Be careful doing this, you can easily OVER torque (over stretch)and WEAKEN the fastener, PULL threads, CRACK a housing/bolt, ect. all that can lead to a FAILURE down the road.

THERE IS A REASON FOR A SPECIFC CALLED FOR TORQUE AND TORQUE CHARTS

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a pic of the winch truck triangles? Mine has 2 big washers stacked, I need to fabricate something and would like to see an origional. I had pretty much forgotten it untill I saw this thread.aua

treeguy

This is a cad drawing of the 1/4" plates that can be used under the shackle mounts instead of stacking washers or just using a square plate. The shape conforms to the base of the shackle mount. It is an 1/8" larger than the mount to ensure that it will fit them. The reason being is that the mounts are all machined perfectly centered to themselves. The important features are that the two 5/8" holes line up and that the 3" base line does not extend to far to hit the bumper when the bolts are run thru.

I am working on the fine dimentions for these pieces, but the angles and the flare are complicated to explain accuratly. The nose is a 1-5/8" diameter circle, the total length is 4", the base is 3" wide with 1/8" radiused corners. The two holes are 5/8" diameter, centered 2-1/8" from eachother and the bottom one's center is 1-1/16" above the 3" base. (this number could vary for you as long as the plate doesn't hit the bumper, it could be 1" and there may be a slight gap between the plate and the bumper, probably doesn't matter)

If any of you want to make these plates, you can slide in the two 1/2" bolts into the mount (with the bumper attached) and slip in a 1/4" plate between the shackle mount and the frame and trace the outline of the shackle mount (mark the holes). Or if you take off the shackle mount, trace it onto a 1/4" plate and measure down 1" from the bottom (center) 5/8" hole to get the bottom line/edge.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking for the frame ext. and cable guiles and other parts to install a winch. When i have a set of these brackets and parts i can reproduce many sets, i have all the equipment.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just cut off the angle on a spare set of grill brackets I had lying around for the spacer.

Treeguy's does look good though.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just wondering that, how much interest is there in having these made?

I'm thinking quite a bit. I need 6 for sure. 12 if the price is right. This is one of those things that after someone has made them, they won't be made for many years again. Just my 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks