• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Condensation and milkshake in my trucks valve cover

Jeepsinker

You need to do it again and inspect it very carefully to see where the steam is coming from. If from the head you will probably be able to see where it is coming from. If you can't see it, it is probably the block itself. Patracy mentioned that he had a similar failure.

Jeepsinker

You could pull the oil pan, fill the cooling system, plug in a block heater( get one if you don't have one) then put the pressure tester on it and pressurize the system. With heat and pressure it may actually leak. This is how you can check the block for a cracked water jacket.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Skinny, I sent a PM.

You other guys think it could be the water/oil cooler exchanger since you saw that steam? I ask cause I have seals and gaskets I could send him to try out.

rustystud

You need to run the engine until it is hot, then put the coolant pressure tester on. The heat will expand the metal and any cracks in it. It could be the heads leaking if your lucky. They don't always cause a "Hydro-Lock" condition when leaking. If it is the block, well then it's time to get that new engine. :( No matter what anyone says, you can never trust a engine that has a cracked block.

RAYZER

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the insight and advice. I will probably be able to look at it again tomorrow.
Looking at it some more I'm sure will render the same results, if the oil cooler isn't bad or leaking then the heads will have to come off, if the heads come off and it's a cracked water jacket then pulling the heads will be Alot of work for nothing!
Just trying to put this into perspective for you.
Good luck with your repair.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You need to do it again and inspect it very carefully to see where the steam is coming from. If from the head you will probably be able to see where it is coming from. If you can't see it, it is probably the block itself. Patracy mentioned that he had a similar failure.
I had a cracked water jacket behind liner #6. My truck would run great. No problems at all. Just the slobber and mess in the oil and loosing coolant.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wonder how many trucks have issues with the rear of the block. MANY blown head-gaskets are at the rear of the block for some reason.

skinnyR1

I am just going to pull the valve covers and see if I can watch the steam. I need the truck so I can't pull heads right now anyway. I am hoping I can just pin point it to the head, but I know that that is being optimistic without actually pulling it apart.

skinnyR1

I wonder how many trucks have issues with the rear of the block. MANY blown head-gaskets are at the rear of the block for some reason.
From what I saw, it was steaming out the front. At least I have that going for me. And I have to believe that coolant is pushing into the combustion chamber. I have very little in the block, yet am losing gallons. Cracked head putting it in the chamber, or steaming oit as blowby? Does that make sense?

skinnyR1

I had a cracked water jacket behind liner #6. My truck would run great. No problems at all. Just the slobber and mess in the oil and loosing coolant.
So you must of had a good amount of coolant in the case then? Gallons? From the information here, it is leading towards a cracked head and not the block like you had. I hope.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks