• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contemplating a Bobber! To do or not to do that is the question!

tobyS

I know this is off topic, but has anyone ever made the cab modification (or considered it seriously) that section8 sketched up... to a 923? I'm considering a bob and would like a little extra cab room. As I expect to make a new hard top with some roll reinforcement, now would be the time.

Keep going section8, you have my encouragement also. I like your cab stretch idea (and the rest of your ambitious project).

Section8

Tobys,
Thank you for the words of encouragement!
If you give a quick search in the modified duece forum for "Extended Cab Duece (photos)" posted by TOXIC, you will come up with a good thread from a guy that bobbed his duece and did the extended cab modification. He did a great job on it and there are lots of good pics that give you a good idea of how to apply it to your version.
The rig is painted gunmetal silver metalic I think and is on 53 inch tires if I remember.
At any rate a good read!
I hope to keep the post coming. Got the drive to do stuff on the truck just need the time and weather to cooperate! LOL.
I am still working on trying to post pictures. The site doesn't like the fact that this is all done on my blackberry.

Last edited:

Section8

Just a quick question.
Does anyone know the thickness of the sheet metal on the cabs?
Is it 16 gauge?? Been trying to keep an eye out for scrap sheets that I can try and grab from people that are getting rid of stuff.
Gotta go hobo when you got no dough so...

Section8

I can't remember if I have asked this before or not.
Has anyone ever thought of split axles? I mean the type found is most older 5 ton trucks.
I know Eaton makes split diffs. I wonder if there is a model that fits out axles??!!?
Much research is needed!! This may be a handy thing if it is possible. With the five speed, have five low range and five high! Plus if I keep the 4x4 transfer case one the tranny before the stock transfer case I will end up with super LOOOOW gears!!
Since from what I have found most split diffs were split with an air shift lever on the stick shift. It would work on our rigs since we have on board air systems already. Well most of us! I am still looking for a compressor for my 6bt.
Thoughts welcome as always. Still researching if it is possible.

cumminsbandit

not sure about the split diff issue,... but it would be best if you could get your hands on a compressor that bolts to the front cover under the IP were the vac pump/power steering pump is normally located. i know they make em and would be nicer than a belt driven setup in my opinion. I'm sure they cost enough is the problem...

Section8

I already have it cased on the air compressor.
The one I am wanting to get is a Bendix Truflo 550. It mounts to the spot the power steering pump would normaly be. They also have a gear on the back side of the compressor to piggy back a power steering pump.
New they go for ironicaly 550 ish. I am looking for a used or reconditioned one that is about half price ish!

Section8

Ok did a bunch of research and found this about two speed rear axles.
They aren't compatable to our axles. Duh stupid! The resounding thoughts of most who have these rigs.
To make it possible as far as I have found is a complete axle swap and since these rigs are 6x6 or 4x4 like I am looking at doing, you would need up to three axles with two speed diffs. Way to complex.
Again I can hear you all in my head!
The easiest method is a double reduction transfer case. Believe that's what they were called. Nodding heads, yup that's what we was gonna tell you!! Told you I can hear your thoughts!
Anyway figured I would check it out.
Almost bought a set of west coast mirrors that were heated for winter use and had marker lights for signals for 30 bucks a piece but figured I actually have to lock the motor and tranny down and get it to run first!!LOL
Maybe tomorrow I will have a chance to bang my head on it a few times!!

Section8

I have decided I am going to be bobbing my rig, once I get it running.
I am looking to use a front propellar shaft in the rear. This should give me that even stance instead of looking like my truck had leprosy.
It will push the rear axle back 11 inches.
Anyone got any kicken around?

Section8

Yea I had thought about getting my stock rear shafts lengthend at a shop here.
Just figured I would see if my secret blackmarket agent (Dave) , might have a second one laying around in his parts superstore (field of parts trucks) that he could throw my way.
He has his hands pretty full right now with the 207, so no big hurry.
Figured it might be easier to just slap a front proppeler shaft in the rear and have equal drive propellers lengths front and rear of the transfer case.
Another quick tidbit!
I did go back to my favorite store for toys (princes auto) and bought two side west coast mirrors with markers and heated glassfor winter visibility. The best part is they were on sale for 20 buck regular 35.
I also picked up those Four 2 piece canadian MLVW rims from that old man who has the stock of M35a2 parts.
Gonna have to take them to a machine shop soon and see about having the hubs turned out and plates made for replacement.
Did I mention that the old guy has a half track carcass sitting that he wants to sell to?? Tried to get me to take it instead of the rims.
Almost did but it needs waAaaay more work than my rig does! Still has the original trackes and bogies though.
Also looked into some industrial enamel self priming paint in OD for the truck. That's gonna be a bit at 65 bucks a gallon. Might have to put up with robins egg blue for another year.

Section8

Don't yet know what I did to get that pic to show up! Not the greatest pic of when I painted the frame but that's a little bit of what I have done and as of yet not much of anything else.
Gonna get back at it soon before the snow flies I hope though!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it's about time we saw that dog again! The photos sure help with the BC withdrawals. It also gets the travel bug goin' so get your parts list together and we'll see you the beginning of Oct. Still looking for 2 front drive-shafts?.....propellers?.....the thing from the TC to the front diff???

It's so nice to work on once they're cleaned up like that. Box off frame preservation looks sweet...check that off the list!

Does the upright pipe that is on the back of the cab look like the base of a 1950's gun mount or do you think that is an add on from after service?

Section8

That there upright pipe looking thing on the back?
That my friends, after many days of research, is an experimental Black Ops piece of equipment. Hours of research has proven to me that during a mission of an undisclosed nature, this pipe looking thing would hold a piece of equipment that would basically clean up or bury the impossible situations that may arise upon a confrontation.
This piece of equipment has been known to be named many things!
Most notibly: muck chucker, goon spoon, K9 landmine removal system ummm a shovel.
That is your standard 2 inch galvanized conduit pipe. Firmly bolted to the rear of the cab to hold your standard issue shovel.
This high tech secretive ordinance is most commonly seen construction sights vehicles or recovery vehicles.

Section8

Well the weather and that stupid thing call work has gotten in the way again. Still haven't had time to do anything to the truck.
Hoping the weather and a little time commes my way before snow flies. Still have to lock the engine down. That was my goal this year.
M1010plowboy, you still planning on being this side of the rockies in start of October? If so I will try to arange with my neighbor the us of the tractor to lift the 302 and tranny for you to take if you happen to stop by.
Let me know your sit rep and we will figure things out hopefully.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Halftracks and the color green

Did I mention that the old guy has a half track carcass sitting that he wants to sell to??

Also looked into some industrial enamel self priming paint in OD for the truck. That's gonna be a bit at 65 bucks a gallon. Might have to put up with robins egg blue for another year.

Well now, a half track carcass......On my way. Approximately where is this carcass located?

We're seeing 19c next weekend so I'm booking out of here on the 6th so sometime after that and before the 18th. Check your schedule and we'll nail a day between there.

Did you want me to check prices on the Endura Poly-urethane http://www.endura.ca/

Here's the color SuperDave just pasted on a project and he actually liked using it.

Attachments

Section8

That paint looks great but I am not to worried about it just yet.
The half track carcass is located about half hour south of me on the south side( kamloops side ) of a small town called Barierre. I am not sure if the old man is still there or not. He usually goes state side in the winter. I bet if he is still there you could get it for dirt cheap!
I am quite sure we could figure out. A way that you could take that motor and tranny home with you between the 6th and 18th.

Section8

Well looks like life just loves to keep kickin me in the keester!
Looks like I am getting cut down on my hours at the lumber mill after I helped them build their new expansion to increase their production.
I have worked 4 days in the last 4 weeks!!
I have been searching high and low for new employment any where I can, oil patch and such, even trying to get unemployment to get me some training for new work.
On top of all of that!! I wrenched my back yesterday doing firewood!
So if anyone needs an equipment operator( not ticketed on anything ) but can run most common units, I'm your man.
That being said I haven't done anything to my rig other than sit it and go vroom vroom again.
Probably going to start taking small pieces off of her over the winter to clean up and paint when I am not running around trying to find work, plus look after the farm with the wife and kids, aaaaAnd be a
ble to walk normaly with out being in pain
and looking like I am 90 years old. :D
So the plan this winter is to remove the windows and redo them. Plus the side mirror arms and what ever else I may be able to get at.

Section8

God life really loves to rub it in your face when you are in the worst financial point of ones life.
A M135 or M211 that I have been watching for the longest time and have talked to the people that rent the land about it, left notes for the owners and such, is finally up for sale!
The owner contacted me tonight telling me that were I see it sitting from the highway is where it has been for at least 5 years. He could not remember if it was a M211 or M135. It has a large tank on the back that he used for hauling water.
He wants 1000 dollars and I haven't got one dollar to my name!!
Aaaaaarrgh!!
He said if it doesn't sell soon he will cut it up for scrap!
Oh well. Gonna at least torture myself this weekend and go out there and find out what shape it is in and what it actually is!
I will take pics and try again to post on here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks