• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contemplating a Bobber! To do or not to do that is the question!

cumminsbandit

DSC00431.jpgDSC00430.jpgDSC00429.jpgDSC00428.jpgDSC00427.jpgDSC00426.jpgDSC00425.jpgDSC00422.jpgDSC00421.jpgDSC00420.jpg

Here are some pics of the clearances of the tightest areas on my project.

It may be hard to tell but there is 3/4" between the firewall and back of head. I'm going to do some trimming on the battery tray near the fuel filter housing.

Also notice the tranny cross member! Turned out pretty sweet!

And also notice how mother nature is telling me my project has been untouched for WAY too long!!!

Section8

Awesome pics!! Your gonna have three chicks diggin the truck soon!!
Gives me lots of things to look out for when I finally find some scrap metal and time to weld.
Cumminsbandit, what type of 2wd tranny is behind your 5.9L?? Is it a 727, Allison 1000, A518, NV3500, NV4500???
I am trying to figure out which tranny to go with so I have minimal swapping to do from my 5 speed set up. I am unfamiliar with bellhousing bolt pattern compatability.
There is a fella about an hour away that is willing to swap his 2wd tranny,727, he thinks for my 5 speed and transfercase.
I do not want to swap with this guy if once I get it home it isn't going to mate to my flexplate.
Again input and thoughts as always welcome.

Last edited:

cumminsbandit

It is a nv4500 2wd.

I'm not positive but i believe the motor plate is the same on auto and standard tranys. Ill look into it and get back to ya on that!

So you have a 4x4 nv4500 with a transfer case? Or is it a getrag? DLD or DHD transfer case? Just curious!

Section8

It Is a Getrag that much I know. (360?) With the transfer case hard mounted to the tranny. I would have to check the numbers on the case to tell you for sure. I took them apart, split tranny and transfercase, to see if I could modify the tranny to make 2wd. It would be possible but would take a fair amount of fabrication.
Cheaper to trade it out for a 2wd tranny in the end I decided.

Last edited:

350TacoZilla

I would be tempted if I were you to just run the 4x4 trans and transfer case, forgoing the stock transfer. Its pretty easy to flip the front pumpkin to standard rotation and makes getting parts alot easier if anything should ever break. I had a set of adapters made that took standard 1350 Ujoints and bolted to the stock drive flanges on axles so i could run stock pickup style drive shafts also making it easier to repair if a u-joint ever failed or just needed replaced from wear.

also if you dont have enough gear oil for 3 axles ditch one lol, these trucks bobbed are not that common but I think look better than the typical m35 deuce cut down.

Last edited:

cumminsbandit

If its a getrag then its probably a np205. Big ol cast iron girl! Good stuff! If it were a nv4500 on a np205 then i'd be lookin into shipping already! Its what i need for my 81 chevy/cummins project.

Does anybody know how strong the t-case is on the m135/211's? I've heard that the guys with big blocks can break them? makes me worried!

Last edited:

Section8

I have never heard of a transfer case failure in these trucks. Most common is tranny failure or propellar (drive shaft) twisting off due to torque from the wheels being locked or hard accelaration.
I have thought about flipping the front diff but decided not to due to the fact that one axle shaft needs to be shortened and the other isn't quite long enough for full engagment (weak spline mesh).
I do plan on dropping an axle some day though!

Last edited:

montanatower

I like your bobber drawing and your engine swap idea, im in the process of turning my newly acquired xm215 cab and chassis into a offroad wrecker, I was wondering if you still had the exhaust manifold from your old engine, also if you do decide to change your t-case id be interested in the parking brake assembly, mine ihas had the cast iron ears broken off2013-05-30 19.12.58.jpg

Gunfreak25

I've crunched the numbers before and I recall the GMC transfer being good for over 30,000 ft lbs of input torque. It sees around 34,000 with the Hydramatic when shifted into low reverse. Beefy indeed.

Montanatower, if your making an offroad wrecker chances are your keeping 6x6 capability, which means your original transfer is staying put. The "ears" breaking off the hand brake support is very common, mine were broken and mig welded back on at some point in it's life. Last I checked, you can buy a new brake band support from Alfa heaven for $100. I would attempt repair only with the unit taken off the back of the transfer, it is cast iron and must be pre heated and then buried in sand to slow cool after welding.

The GMC handbrake is for flat ground only. It will not hold reliably on any kind of incline. So you might as well do without, wheel chocks, flat ground or not is IMO the only safe way to keep a Jimmy where you parked it. I recall a story posted by a small town fireman, their M211 was parked on a hill with the handbrake on out in the forest on call, without warning it began rolling and chopped down 7 tall poplar trees at bumper height.

Section8

Montanatower, I do have the exhaust manifold from the old 302 (and the most of the rest of the engine and tranny minus wiring and distributor)
It is however spoken for. M1010plowboy has spoken for the entire engine and tranny. It would probably be cheaper for you in the long run to find a parts truck around your neck of the woods than to ship one to you from here.
Gunfreak, I am ever humbled by your vast knoledge of these vehicles and I am always appreciative of your input. Glad to see your still keeping tabs on things.

Section8

Does any one know if a M35a2 master cylinder would work in our trucks? Since my dream of disc brakes is a loooooong way off I need to start thinking about being able to stop.
Oooooh! What about a 5 ton master cylinder?? Does a 5 ton displace greater volume? Equating to greater stopping power??
I am only asking since my master cylinder is a ball of rust. When I pulled it out of the truck I was hoping to be able to rebuild it but I don't thinlk it is possible. The crunchy brown sludge that came out of it was kind of alarming!

Gunfreak25

Nope, I want to say the M35 series MC's had some internal check valve in them. I want to also say the mounting holes may be different and wouldn't be a direct bolt up. Likely the same for the 5 ton units.

I was going to have my MC sleeved for $120.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a couple for $79 each. Maybe it was Sam Wiener on ohio???

Any way, it was well worth it!!! I unsuccessfully rebuilt a couple.

Section8

It was just a thought. The guy with the two piece rims that is near me also has some M35a2 parts along with some five ton parts. I dont really care as much about it not mounting in the exact same location. was more wondering about functionality and if it would work with our brake system or not. If i went with a five ton master cylinder would it have to much psi and blow the wheel cylinders???? that sort of thing. Gunfreak mentions the check valve thing in the M35a2 master cylinder. would this cause problems. guess either way I will try and save some bucks to get a new master from NAPA some day down the road.

Section8

Well!
Finally got some time to work on the truck yesterday.I removed the old motor mounts with minimal effert. Ground the heads off of the rivets then drilled them down a bit then gave them a love tap with a two pound hammer. Tada!! Pop of they came!
Then after a heap of fighting and swearing and plus hitting my head on the undercarage. Pulled the five speed dodge tranny under the truck. I decided to put the five speed tranny in the truck for now since I am having no luck finding a strait two wheel drive tranny to replace it. Now I will just have to figure out how to make a clutch assembly later.
Once the tranny was drug under the truck I pulled the engine hoist over and stuck it through the passenger door and hoisted the tranny up close to where it needs to be throught the floor access.
This is where it stopped. I made a cradle with a length of chain and let it rest. I ran out of day light and dinner was a callin!!
I still have to figure out where I am gonna line everything up for proper angles and clearances. Then make mounts.
Wont be long I hope!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That first step replacing something, anything back in to get a little closer to the end is a rush. Nice goin taking that step. Just picture the day you're laying underneath the truck checking linkage travel while soldier B is inside moving the clutch and shifter lever(s) before your first road trip. I'm sure both of us can't wait to see pictures of what that linkage looks like.

If you can get some photos of the alignment measurements for my visit it'll help for the parts list. You're still looking for a front drive-shaft right? You're using the original TC in the same place? A 5 speed with some horses could get some grins. Keep at er, the days start getting shorter next week!

I might have one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks