• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Continental Divide

renovate7

I type this from a Public Library in Salida Colorado. Went up to Independence Pass Tuesday. The drive was terrifying for a flatlander with steep dropoffs and no guard rails. The pass is over 12,000 ft. Had a "pleasant" time at the top, no one had any O2 to spare. Why do I mention this on SS?...Coming over the pass from the west was an M35A3. Judging by the gear on the front and the military shelter it was set up as a big time camping rig. Watched in amazement as he decended the east side, where I had come from. Watched him all the way to the valley and out of sight. Unbelieveable! We got down to the bottom about a half hour later and found him pulled over with a flat on his middle axle. We pulled over to help. He already had the flat off and the spare rolled around to the passenger side of the truck. Helped him get it on the studs and the lugs started. And speaking highly of him as a Dad, he had his two daughters, age 12ish and 14ish, along for the camping trip. Good for him and bravo for his daughters for doing this. He said he reads SS ocasionally...I have pictures but won't be able to post them till late next week.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the only thing keeping me from adding a M35 to the collection (Well, in addition to finding one and budget) is the seating. Where'd he stick two kids? Thought it was a 2 seater...

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope most have a bench seat on the passenger side! 2 seats in most cases are usually a modification!

CAM01574.jpg

M215

My two daughters and myself use to go "Army truck camping" in our M35, usually up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I had installed two sets of seat belts for the passenger bench seat. Since they were small, they had plenty of room. Those were great times and now as married women they still talk about those crazy adventures with dad.

rustystud

Since the only thing keeping me from adding a M35 to the collection (Well, in addition to finding one and budget) is the seating. Where'd he stick two kids? Thought it was a 2 seater...
Ryan, remember to ask me about the time I had to drive with the (female) captain and my "spotter" the next time we get together. :shock:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some are modified with seat belts. I have some extras since changing out to MRAP seats (Free-ninety-nine plus freight, if interested. Please PM me.)

Crestonean

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. I've been over Independence Pass many times, but I'm not sure I'd want to take a Duece through "the narrows" on the west side. Single lane with rock overhangs and steep dropoffs to the river. Maybe they camped on the east side and came back down - either way it must have been a great family camping trip. Hope the tire change didn't put too much of a damper on things.
Thanks for the post!

41cl8m5

The m35a3 was also modified with three point seat belts. If the bench seat was used then there were three sets. It was part of the extended use program that was done in the 1990s I think. Look at a TM for the m35a3 and you can see all the additional stuff that was added in the cab to do it.

barefootin

I did this mod to my M35a2 for a little extra piece of mind for me and my passengers (kids young and old). The Military had already upgraded mine with a 3 point for the driver and two lap belts on the bench.

renovate7

I've made it thru Cottonwood pass and Monarch pass since Tuesday, in my little rental car. At Cottonwood hiked up to the summit, maybe 12.8K feet?... The A3 came up the west side and decended the east. I talked to others at the top, heard how bad the west side was, and decided not to venture down it, the east was way bad enough.

mcmullag

Renovate7,
Thanks for the post, looking forward to pics. I think I may know the driver of the M35A3.
Did you climb up the mountain top to the south at the top of Cottonwood pass? If so, I think that is called Jones mountain, big flat area on top and great views.
The east side of that pass is paved and the west side is dirt. I came up thru there from the west at end of May. The west side is fine, a regular car can do that road no problem. If you are in Buena Vista or Leadville, you may want to go up Mosquito Pass to the East of Leadville. It is the highest through road in North America. 13,000 and sumthin feet. I would not go down the East side of that pass in a regular car, would not make it, parts of that section are like a dry river bed full of rocks, need high clearance four by four for that. Have a great trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks