• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Control Box

Barneyszoo

Had some starter prob with my 813, traced it to the controle box. swapped it out and the prob seem to be gone. Wanted to see what was inside so I cut it open, someone posted that they cut one open but I can't remember who it was. Just thought someone might like to see too.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Cranetruck did a write up in MV mag. years a go, someone did a thread on this subject not long a go, CT added his data to it, very good and informative, look up protective control box or something like that in search.( about 25 threads with a lot of input from CT )

Last Thur, Tim and I talked about a bypass for the box ( getting ride of it all together) should be easy to do with a few off the shelf parts, this sure would make 5t life a lot easier

Last edited:

Barneyszoo

Cranetruck did a write up in MV mag. years a go, someone did a thread on this subject not long a go, CT added his data to it, very good and informative, look up protective control box or something like that in search.

Last Thur, Tim and I talked about a bypass for the box ( getting ride of it all together) should be easy to do with a few off the shelf parts, this sure would make 5t life a lot easier
I knew i'd seen it somewhere but couldn't remember, thanks to Mr. Cranetruck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd bet the PCB that Armada posted (picture) is for the 900 series trucks.

Pretty sure the 900 series box will work in the 809 series, but not the other way around.

dozer1

I know I might get a spankin' for this but what does the control box control? I see one bolted on the firewall of the 817 but it must work I figured as it starts, runs, charges..So what does the darn thing do?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a used spare, but I have no idea of the condition of it. Is there a way to test it outside of putting it a truck and seeing if it works?

Barneyszoo

Cranetruck did a write up in MV mag. years a go, someone did a thread on this subject not long a go, CT added his data to it, very good and informative, look up protective control box or something like that in search.( about 25 threads with a lot of input from CT )

I would say look up these threads. They prob will explain it better than I could.

Armada

Ya yours looks like it has somemore electronics, and does not have the small coil. Is yours a Prestolite? and what year do you think it is?
Southern Automotive is the label on the box. It was new in '06 when the 818 was rebuilt. Had trouble with an intermittant loss of electrical power and the box was the culprit. Not sure why. Took it apart and tested the relays. They were fine. Replaced it with a new box and has worked fine ever since.

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
anyone have a good source for some new ones? i had one bad on the rebuild of my 818 and with a no start up found out the bad black box was the problem

CGarbee

I gave several dead boxes to a buddy a month ago in order to have him rebuild/upgrade the components in them. He works on military electrical systems for a living and thinks that he can offer a very competative refurb business but wanted to play with a few first.

A 900 box will work with a 800 series truck, but not the other way around.

The article in MV magazine and the other threads on here have some really good info on them.

I try to always have a couple around as spares... :)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best price I've seen for new, was Erik's Military Surplus.

Vintage iron

My alternator went bad and I fear it took other electronics with it. I have a new alternator on order and I am rebuilding my PCB with the help of my buddy Martin. We are trying to develop a way of protecting the box too. I will let you know what happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks