• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

conversion of 4 batteries to 2?

jjb

Does anyone have a picture a 2 battery conversion?

I think most if not all of the batteries in the M931 I just had delivered are shot. Its a shame they look brand new. Looks like they were replaced and just sat for whos knows how long.

I was hoping to replace it with 2 large tractor or truck batteries.

goldneagle

Does anyone have a picture a 2 battery conversion?

I think most if not all of the batteries in the M931 I just had delivered are shot. Its a shame they look brand new. Looks like they were replaced and just sat for whos knows how long.

I was hoping to replace it with 2 large tractor or truck batteries.
Someone just asked that question of me a few weeks ago! Wire the 2 batteries in Series Use the longer bridge cable to connect the + to the - between the 2 batteries. The other unused + and - terminals are where you connect the chassis ground and + going to the starter. There are also some small wires coming from under the truck. Make sure you mark which one is 12 volt and which one is 24 volt. The 12 volt one goes on the + terminal on the same battery that the chassis ground is connected to. The 24 volt wire goes on the + terminal that the started positive cable is attached. The 2 heavy cables from the NATO plug go to the same terminals as the chassis ground and the starter cable.

jjb

Someone just asked that question of me a few weeks ago! Wire the 2 batteries in Series Use the longer bridge cable to connect the + to the - between the 2 batteries. The other unused + and - terminals are where you connect the chassis ground and + going to the starter. There are also some small wires coming from under the truck. Make sure you mark which one is 12 volt and which one is 24 volt. The 12 volt one goes on the + terminal on the same battery that the chassis ground is connected to. The 24 volt wire goes on the + terminal that the started positive cable is attached. The 2 heavy cables from the NATO plug go to the same terminals as the chassis ground and the starter cable.
Most of the I understand. It was the 12volt wires that I was concerned about. I think I have it. I will try it if I can't get these batteries to charge.

Carlo

I have saved a few batteries by trickel charging them back to life. Ck the water level first. Dont boil them back to life. Just a few amps for the first days charging. If they take it them add the amps up. Good luck.

Hammer

8D batteries work GREAT.
Two of those are the same size as the four 6TL batteries. So no space savings there.
But the batteries are easy to get from any industrial/agriculture type place, or battery store.

Carlo

I use the 4 battery stock system and the 2 big battery system. Im not an expert but they seem the same. Maybe the 4 batt setup would offer more if you were at -30°.

jjb

I charged 2 batteries overnight one seems like it might be ok but the other one had an error code on the charger (cannot desulfate battery). I'm hoping I can at least get 2 batteries to charge just to get this thing running..

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have saved a few batteries by trickle charging them back to life. Ck the water level first. Don't boil them back to life. Just a few amps for the first days charging. If they take it them add the amps up. Good luck.
It is the smartest way to charge a battery. Avoid the quick charge. I use a cheap 1.5 amp maintainer charger I get from Walmart. Have had a dozen or so of them. Also put them on the truck when it is sitting for a while. A lot cheaper than buying batteries all the time.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/13005742?...1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

jjb

What size batteries are people using in a 2 battery system? Someone already mentioned 8D but they are heavy.
I found 4D's at the local TSC but they look as big as the 8D's.

Anyone using smaller batteries successfully?

Hammer

Plenty of us have ran on just two 'normal' batteries.
I had a pair of blue top optimas in my 818 for a while. Started it up just fine.
The bigger batteries can crank for longer periods. Often recover faster. And usually last much longer due to increased plate thickness.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use two group 27s in my 916 - they work great. It hardly ever gets below about 30 F here, though.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I just use 2 commercial truck batteries,They dont need too be those large equipment batteries.Just try to get 2 with the highest cold cranking amps.

emr

Read the many battery posts on this site, the last batt taking the juice was shot in your truck, the correct amount of batts are the way to go, of course short cuts are ok for those who say they are, thats fine too. When you invest in batts, Take em out once a year clean em charge em up individually and rotate them , last first, number them. They will last 10 plus years if you do to them what everything else in the world needs, PM . You can use the good 2 batts from your truck for awhile, If you dont have the money for new ones, sometimes shows have a couple good used ones, that will make your 2 and those 2 a full set, then get an on board charger/ desulphater, you need 4, 12 volt or 1 , 24 volt...Or you can do what I just learned from batterysplus.com . 1, 2 bank charger/desulphater,Charge the in parallel 2 as one :) good luck,

Last edited:

Carlo

What size batteries are people using in a 2 battery system? Someone already mentioned 8D but they are heavy.
I found 4D's at the local TSC but they look as big as the 8D's.

Anyone using smaller batteries successfully?
Well with my vast assortment of different MV's from different armies I can say I have seen both as in 4 battery and two battery setups. My hardest starter is the 900 series with Cummins non turbo. If I leave it out side in the winter I have about 1 minute of cranking time. With Ether I can usally get her firing in 10 to 15 seconds BUT with generous helpings of ether. I run to big 250 ah CAT batteries in her. The 923A2 being more modern starts with little to none ether. She still has her orginal military batteries (4). Trucks like my MAN KAT use a large liter V-8 deutz motor and she uses 4 large (D8 type) batteries but its a over kill. The truck even has a fuel fired pre heater for the motor, oil, fuel system and cab!
I used to think spend more and get more in batteries but not now. I spend less and check the water level more now and also remove the negative cable when I park them. I get the same life with cheap batteries as I did with the expensive ones.

Stein12501

Don't know if this helps but pictures of what I did. Only running 2 batteries the 2 Hawker batteries are just setting there (to lazy to lift out). The Optimas were probably not the best choice but it's been a year and no problems.Pictures 189.jpg Pictures 191.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks