• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convert air compressor from M1031 to 2-phase / 220V

Keith_J

Yep, mine does not have a capacitor on the top of the motor like your's does. Thanks for the pic.
Because three phase motors don't need start/run capacitors. Each phase is 120 degrees offset which automatically rotates the field.

This also means reversing the rotation of direction is done by switching two of the three legs.

JasonS

auaauaauaauaaua

I guess I should have clarified, THERE IS NO AVALIBLE 2phase CURRENT, But it your motor, your garage and your LIFE at stake. If you think you can wire a 3 phase motor to run off single phase have at it. I cant stop you from thinning the gene pool.
Dave,

This may be an argument of semantics (and I have not read the whole thread to know the background behind your answer) but split phase is two phase power. It is two 120V L-N separated by 180 degrees versus three 120V L-N separated by 120 degrees in three phase 120/208V Y. Static phase converters use the two split phase lines for two of the three phases and a capacitor's 90 degree phase shift to supply the third phase. This third phase is sometimes only used for starting purposes leaving you with a three phase motor operating on two (split) phase power. The motor has to be derated for this and it is a poor solution. Better static phase converters use the capacitor's leg all of the time but these systems only work well at a constant load (the capacitor is matched to the system).

quickfarms

I understand a lot of electrical stuff and know some of the code quite well but I know enough to understand my limits and when I am not sure I call a licensed electrician that I know

AN/ARC186

"it passed all the inspections" is no indication of proper wiring, it merely indicates the level of knowledge (or lack thereof) of the inspector.

I've reinspected previously passed jobs and found mistakes that have caused red tag and lockout/ tagout to be used. One reinspection was performed as the result of a fire that destroyed several milling machines.

Why do people think they can read something online and magically become an electrician?

There's a reason the apprenticeship program exists as well as the testing and continuing education.

:soapbox:

"it passed all the inspections" is no indication of proper wiring, it merely indicates the level of knowledge (or lack thereof) of the inspector.

I've reinspected previously passed jobs and found mistakes that have caused red tag and lockout/ tagout to be used. One reinspection was performed as the result of a fire that destroyed several milling machines.

Why do people think they can read something online and magically become an electrician?

There's a reason the apprenticeship program exists as well as the testing and continuing education.

:soapbox:
I agree with you, and I say the same thing when I here people talk about something that I've been trained in, and basically all they are doing is regurgitating something they heard third-party. But you contradict yourself. You say on one hand only a licensed electrician should touch any wiring, but then you say the inspector, who is said type of person, probably doesn't know what he is looking at. The wiring I've done is all very basic - light switches and outlets. If I want to do something more, I'll call a friend and trade some automotive work for his electrical knowledge (he's a licensed master electrician). I'm not trying to build a power plant here, and I'll bet even you have made mistakes and lived to tell the tale. Whenever I wire in a new circuit, I have my tester and make sure everything is right before I touch anything. Afterwards, I test it all again for any sort of phase to ground or other faults. It is not rocket science, but I find it interesting as all getout as I learn what I am doing. You seem to think I should not be allowed to learn about your coveted trade unless I do it exactly as you did. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Notice I started this thread and still have not attempted to actually do anything yet? I learned a long time ago to be sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I give it any juice. I also don't skimp on material like many of the electricians do to save a buck. You won't find anything less than 12 awg wire in my buildings and most of it is size 10 or 8. Also, the big stuff is wired by a professional, so you can get off your soapbox now.

Here's something to think about for you, AN/ARC186: You say in your signature you own seven very spoiled horses. I'll bet you can't tell me what a pineal gland is or where it is located or how it is used in the race-horse industry without either looking it up on the internet or asking someone like your horse vet, so does that mean you should not own any horses?

deuceaid

Banned
Dave,

This may be an argument of semantics (and I have not read the whole thread to know the background behind your answer) but split phase is two phase power. .
It is not true 2 phase power, the household suff we are familiar with is just a center tapped tranformer , if You put a meter across both hots it is still only 1 phase.. but in referance to each other , yes they are 180 out of phase, but real 2 phase would be 90 out of phase.

2 Phase Power Systems and Two-Phase Electric Solutions

JasonS

It is not true 2 phase power, the household suff we are familiar with is just a center tapped tranformer , if You put a meter across both hots it is still only 1 phase.. but in referance to each other , yes they are 180 out of phase, but real 2 phase would be 90 out of phase.

2 Phase Power Systems and Two-Phase Electric Solutions
No, it is not the "90 degree 2-phase" system referenced in your article and I realize that it is "incorrect" to refer to split phase as 2 phase. This is unfortunate because split phase has more in common with 120/208 wye than the "2-phase" oddity.

AN/ARC186

I agree with you, and I say the same thing when I here people talk about something that I've been trained in, and basically all they are doing is regurgitating something they heard third-party. But you contradict yourself. You say on one hand only a licensed electrician should touch any wiring, but then you say the inspector, who is said type of person, probably doesn't know what he is looking at. The wiring I've done is all very basic - light switches and outlets. If I want to do something more, I'll call a friend and trade some automotive work for his electrical knowledge (he's a licensed master electrician). I'm not trying to build a power plant here, and I'll bet even you have made mistakes and lived to tell the tale. Whenever I wire in a new circuit, I have my tester and make sure everything is right before I touch anything. Afterwards, I test it all again for any sort of phase to ground or other faults. It is not rocket science, but I find it interesting as all getout as I learn what I am doing. You seem to think I should not be allowed to learn about your coveted trade unless I do it exactly as you did. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Notice I started this thread and still have not attempted to actually do anything yet? I learned a long time ago to be sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I give it any juice. I also don't skimp on material like many of the electricians do to save a buck. You won't find anything less than 12 awg wire in my buildings and most of it is size 10 or 8. Also, the big stuff is wired by a professional, so you can get off your soapbox now.
You'd be surprised at how many electrical inspectors are NOT electricians. In most places it isn't a requirement, you just have to pass a test.

Sure there's more than one way to skin a cat, there is also a right way and a wrong way to install wiring.

Thanks, but I'll stay on my soapbox, it'll be much easier to see the fire at your place from there.

AN/ARC186

Here's something to think about for you, AN/ARC186: You say in your signature you own seven very spoiled horses. I'll bet you can't tell me what a pineal gland is or where it is located or how it is used in the race-horse industry without either looking it up on the internet or asking someone like your horse vet, so does that mean you should not own any horses?
What that has to do with electricity is a mystery to me.

and if I need info on our horses I just ask my wife, who has more knowledge about all things equine than I ever will. I just clean stalls and repair fences.

so now that you've made your completely off topic remark, please continue

What that has to do with electricity is a mystery to me.

and if I need info on our horses I just ask my wife, who has more knowledge about all things equine than I ever will. I just clean stalls and repair fences.

so now that you've made your completely off topic remark, please continue
It's called an "anology", and it is quite common for people to do this. My point is you don't have to know everything a veterinarian knows to own a horse and be a competent horseman, just like I don't need to know everything there is to know regarding electricity, or be a licensed electrician, to install a simple wall switch or outlet, or in my case, a 125-amp panel with 5 circuits. Don't stay up too late watching for the fire, you need your sleep. If you are not part of the solution here, why don't you not be part of the problem. Keith was helpful with his posts, as were several others, but really, I started this thread because I wanted to learn a little more about this 'magic' of electricity, and you come on here lecturing me about stuff I already know. I already have a mother and I already have a wife, so I really don't need anyone else to monitor my actions. In other words, this is an A & B conversation, so if you can't contribute in a positive manner, how about C'ing your way out the door?

You'd be surprised at how many electrical inspectors are NOT electricians. In most places it isn't a requirement, you just have to pass a test.

Sure there's more than one way to skin a cat, there is also a right way and a wrong way to install wiring.

Thanks, but I'll stay on my soapbox, it'll be much easier to see the fire at your place from there.
Well, this one is a licensed electrician, and he is very competent in his field with a great reputation in these parts. I also have a cousin who owns the electrical contracting firm that takes care of the whitehouse in D.C. If I'm really stumped, I can always call him. I'm just really stultified how when I ask if anyone knows how to convert a 3-phase motor to single phase, it is like opening Pandora's box with some of you guys. Save the lectures for your kids, dogs, or horses. If you have useful knowledge to share, then by all means, let's hear it.

AN/ARC186

Maybe it's because some of us guys have seen people make some pretty horrific mistakes and pay for it with their lives, or worse yet, someone else s life.

Ever had to tell a father of five that the reason his four year old son died was because, even after talking with an electrician, he incorrectly wired up the motor on a surplus table saw he bought and ended up making the case live and when his son leaned against the saw he was electrocuted?

So sorry, I'll always recommend hiring a professional and I'll continue to push safety as the best course of action.
:deadhorse:

Dan, anyone who wires up a table saw and makes the case live, and doesn't check to see if it is live with a tester before proceeding any further, probably does need to be thinned from the gene pool. Life is full of dangers. Heck, one of your horses may have a bad day and kick you in the head or chest and bam! Your pushing up daisies. I have a good and healthy respect for electricity. If I needed to rely on an electrician to wire up simple things like a table saw, I would have no business owning a saw, or a pair of scissors for that matter.