• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting 416v output to 480v output

212sparky

Are you able to reconnect it for 208 then get a commercially available transformer to go from 208 to 480? I know you can do buck boost but they can get pricy for for large units.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Scoobyshep

Thats a good possibility, though the size you may need may make the boost a better fit.

Out of curiosity what are you running that needs 480? Most motors can be retapped to a lower voltage.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Mustangsud

Thats a good possibility, though the size you may need may make the boost a better fit.

Out of curiosity what are you running that needs 480? Most motors can be retapped to a lower voltage.

Most water utilities wire their pump stations, lift stations, well pumps, and booster pumps in 3 ph 480v. That's going to be the predominate use of our generators. Lowering the voltage for in place systems really isn't an option.

Scoobyshep

Most water utilities wire their pump stations, lift stations, well pumps, and booster pumps in 3 ph 480v. That's going to be the predominate use of our generators. Lowering the voltage for in place systems really isn't an option.
Reason for my question is from another person that was running a mill so single application.

In your case you're using these for water/ wastewater power. So personal opinion would be a boost transformer.

Mustangsud

Just FYI if anyone else ever reads this post. We learned something new. All the mil generators that will do 3 ph 416v can be adjusted up to 480v in stock form, no modifications necessary. They actually were made to be adjustable from 395 - 480 in the 416 output board setting.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just FYI if anyone else ever reads this post. We learned something new. All the mil generators that will do 3 ph 416v can be adjusted up to 480v in stock form, no modifications necessary. They actually were made to be adjustable from 395 - 480 in the 416 output board setting.
Can you provide the reference ? I thought maybe 10% up to around 440, which is in the range to operate most 115 duty cycle motors, unless fusing or heaters are tight.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's printed on the side of each generator. We load tested our 804A, 805A, 807A, and MEP 1060. All will do 480. See pics below. You just set output board for 416, then use voltage adjustment knob or button up to 480.
View attachment 811541View attachment 811542View attachment 811543View attachment 811544
So... I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be thinking too large - but here in my work building - we have our own dedicated 40kv transformer feeding the equipment. We have several machines that use 480v 3-Phase "industrial power". Industrial Power is what Duke Power calls it... Besides those machines, lighting is 277v and we also build our own 110/120 and 280/220/240 out of three other transformers off that 480v 3-Phase Service.

If it matters, there is a second utility service into the same building that is 240 3-Phase. No idea what size the transformer on the pole is for that one. Lots of non-critical on that service. And if anybody reading this is concerned - YES - The building is well labeled (signed) that it has multiple electrical power sources so we don't kill any firemen.

My Question: Is there a military Genset capable of providing that type of power that us "regular people" can find on the auction market?

Scoobyshep

So... I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be thinking too large - but here in my work building - we have our own dedicated 40kv transformer feeding the equipment. We have several machines that use 480v 3-Phase "industrial power". Industrial Power is what Duke Power calls it... Besides those machines, lighting is 277v and we also build our own 110/120 and 280/220/240 out of three other transformers off that 480v 3-Phase Service.

If it matters, there is a second utility service into the same building that is 240 3-Phase. No idea what size the transformer on the pole is for that one. Lots of non-critical on that service. And if anybody reading this is concerned - YES - The building is well labeled (signed) that it has multiple electrical power sources so we don't kill any firemen.

My Question: Is there a military Genset capable of providing that type of power that us "regular people" can find on the auction market?
In a nutshell yes

Outside the shell most residential is 120/240. Which is 180 degrees out of phase. There is 3 phase 240 (3rd leg is typically 208 to ground) these are either open or closed delta. Theres 3 phase 208 which is 120 degrees out of phase. This gets you 120 to ground and 208 phase to phase. Some residential blocks have 2 legs of 208 as their service, This is wye wound. 277/ 480 is the same as 208 just higher voltages.

When it comes to selecting a generator most times it's more of what you can get. Know your load requirements then see what fits the bill. Power mostly can be converted (just can't make kilowatts appear from thin air)

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking at this for work as well. In out case we are running two feeds the larger is 208v 3ph and the second is 480v 3ph. The 480 feeds the air compressors and everything else is coming off the 208. I would need both and a generator will only provide one.

So a 208 generator and transformers to step up to the 480 since can't run anything in our place without the air.

Sounds like you need a 480v 3ph generator in your application. Unless you get a transformer to supply your other 240v service you won't have it or need a second generator.

All your other stuff would run off the 480 thru the transformers you currently have. You will need to size the generator to allow for inrush if you run large motors off of it. Check your power demand charge for peak kw demand or get a power study done. If you want it to handle everything including HVAC it can get large.

I ended up looking into 350kw which is big. Everyone out here is busy now. No rush in them getting back to me. There are surplus military units on govplanet that go up to 100kw or 150 maybe.

Good luck.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have been looking at this for work as well. In out case we are running two feeds the larger is 208v 3ph and the second is 480v 3ph. The 480 feeds the air compressors and everything else is coming off the 208. I would need both and a generator will only provide one.

So a 208 generator and transformers to step up to the 480 since can't run anything in our place without the air.

Sounds like you need a 480v 3ph generator in your application. Unless you get a transformer to supply your other 240v service you won't have it or need a second generator.

All your other stuff would run off the 480 thru the transformers you currently have. You will need to size the generator to allow for inrush if you run large motors off of it. Check your power demand charge for peak kw demand or get a power study done. If you want it to handle everything including HVAC it can get large.

I ended up looking into 350kw which is big. Everyone out here is busy now. No rush in them getting back to me. There are surplus military units on govplanet that go up to 100kw or 150 maybe.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info NY Tom . There a few things on the 240v service and if I could find something to supply the 480v, it would be worth doing the same for the smaller service. We have three 17 ton HVAC units running off the 480 and a couple of printing presses with 3-Phase 80 amp breakers and a couple more with 60's. Duke came out and went through every motor in the building in preparation for the new service. In one of my file cabinets I have the load charts and graphs for startup and continuous demand figures. Big honkin transformer out back is fed into the building on wire about as big as your thumb. 40kva is what is stamped on the plate. Pole has a big 40k on it out by the road where the feed goes under ground.

Again, thanks for the info. Guess I need to do a little shopping and see what I can find. Fort Bragg is pretty close to Charlotte if I can find something in good shape. At least I know there should be something if I look long enough.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like an interesting operation. We are running metal stamping presses but the biggest motor is only 15 HP. Have about 28 machines plus all the other shop stuff. 8 20 ton and 4 10 ton HVAC. Air compressors are 50 and 60 HP but running off 480v only 50A breakers. You have some big motors on those printing presses.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sounds like an interesting operation. We are running metal stamping presses but the biggest motor is only 15 HP. Have about 28 machines plus all the other shop stuff. 8 20 ton and 4 10 ton HVAC. Air compressors are 50 and 60 HP but running off 480v only 50A breakers. You have some big motors on those printing presses.
Sounds like you have a neat operation too! Yes sir. A 40 horse electric motor is a real beast. There are a lot of switches in a cabinet that is about six feet tall and 3 feet wide. The second motor on all of them is for blast and suction and they range in size according to age. Sounds like you have about the same AC demand that we do - just arranged a little differently. If you come across something to power your space let me know please. At least then I will have an idea what to look for... Or maybe a "two for" deal will show up and we can go in together on it.

Tim

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This test was performed on an 805b, only able to get 460v before over voltage safety kicked in, single line voltage will be the kicker trying to get the 460v, single line was 265v, normal is 240v

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks