• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting a M1008 to a 350

biggestc69

I know this subject has been covered before and I've read the previous threads. The other day the boss's m1008 pitched a rod or snapped the crank, of course this happened right before burn season started and thats our burn truck. We've got a 350 GM performance crate engine coming and are getting all the parts we need lined out. As this is our burn truck and the season is coming up fast I just wanted to make sure that we have all our ducks in a row. I know the tourque converter and flex plate will have to be swapped but as far as reusing the same alternator, 12 volt starter (it was converted to 12 volts before the engine popped) power steering etc. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks again guys!

det rebel

should be the same starter if it is already 12v doing this from memory since the bell housings are the same i believe the starter bolts to the block with two bolts on both blocks

pigfoot63

Will your crate motor come with bracketts, if not how are you going to mount everything. A trip to Pull a part and a few dollars and you can have just what you need.
I have used the CUCV alternator on a 454 but had to modify the brackett change the belt and remove the fiber washer because of the isolated ground. It's much easier to use the correct parts.

biggestc69

We are goin to the junkyard to get power steering pump and alternator brackets along with manifolds. Sounds like we'll be getting an alternator too. The cheaper the better but we dont have time to sit around trying to make parts work. The old "dollar waiting on a dime" phrase.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may be trying to get too much for too little. You are working towards doing the fastest repair and the most economical all in the same stroke. That rarely works. Replacing the 6.2 is far and away the fastest option but if you don't have one you have to buy one. On the other hand, you have the 350 but now are tasked with an engine swap and all the roadblocks that come with it including exhaust work and in some places, emmissions concerns and inspections. I've done countless engine swaps and despite my best planning, additional expenses always occur.

Last edited:

biggestc69

I know that I'm asking alot, lol. But as of now fast and expensive is going to probably overtake slow, thought out and cheap. We are going to have a very narrow window to burn this year and need the truck. In Kansas we dont have inspections or emmisions, lucky us. We dont have another 6.2 to replace what we have so he made the call to switch it over. We've factored in a good chunk of the budget to "unforseen expenses" lol. The main thing is just getting the truck going. If it costs more, it costs more. Thanks for the responses guys! As always you come through with some good input!

Timber

For future reference, take outs are available for around $1100 that have been bench tested for oil pressure and the compression checked. Hard to beat that price.

91W350

Make a deal with one of the area salvage yards and just take the complete 305/350 out of a pickup to the shop with you, take back what you do not need and settle up. I would probably donate the small parts here. Glen

biggestc69

Timber, he's done with the 6.2. He never really was a fan of it. 91W350, we might end up doing that. Gonna make a salvage run this weekend and if they have one out and ready for a little of nothing we might bite. Thanks for the offer on the small parts, if it comes down to it I'll PM ya!

coyote_hunter

You are going to need grab some of the wiring componets so you can get power to your distributer. I would try and make the alternator and power steering pump that you have work on the new engine. I'm sure you will be able to fab the 6.2 brackets to work on the 350.

biggestc69

Ya it would! He's already converted it to 12v and right now we dont have the time to try and make it work, although it would be pretty sweet! We picked up the manifolds and some brackets at the junkyard last night. The carb, manifold and other stuff showed up yesterday to, The motor should be here Monday. I'll try and get some pics of the install and whatever cargnage lies in the bottom of the old motors oil pan!

spicergear

Nice big block 11echo!!! Kind of overkill that Dart intake though wouldn't you say? :mrgreen:

If someone is changing out to a gas engine wouldn't it be a good time to drop an alternator and 12V the whole truck? Are these that messed up with wiring that it couldn't be simplified? I've dont this on the M715's when engine swapping. I know these are way different but...

biggestc69

Sweet setup 11Echo! How do you like the big block? If this small block swap goes good I've got a feeling my 6.2 will get swapped with a big block later this summer. Nothing wrong with my diesel but I live in the only "hilly" region of Kansas and even towing my 1500lb trailer and 1500lb Arctic Cat Prowler XTZ its a nightmare in the hills. Struggling to keep 40mph at the top of some of them. On the flats its pulls pretty decent.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The regular SBC flex plate will bolt to the tourqe converter. And the starter will work also. You just wont neet the front brace for the starter anymore.

richingalveston

I have an 87 two wheel drive suburban i am parting. it has running 350 throttle body with 700r4 trans. drove it home and started pulling parts. engine and trans coming out this weekend. I am only keeping seats, rear hvac and electric locks and windows. If i have something you can use, let me know. plan to sell engine and trans togather with everything under the hood except HVAC. have complete wiring harness if you need any of that.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to keep the full capabilities of the 1008's electrics. I use this truck to pull trailers including the M116 with 003 genset. Being able to jump another mv along the road or in the field is a nice feature.
The diesel torque converter was a new custom built I had replaced the orginal with a year earlier. It bolted to the big block flexplate without issue. Truck runs very well.

biggestc69

Well we started the project Friday night and it went pretty good. Had the old motor out in a little over 2 hours. Of course our junkyard was closed for the weekend so it put everything on hold. We will be hitting it up tommorow to get all the pulleys and brackets that we need and hopefully get it knocked out before the weekend. I'll try and get some pics up tommorow night. Thanks for the responses everybody!