• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting to dual alternators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dug, your next mod should be a windmill to the truck, that way you dont need ANY alternators. The windmill will spin while you drive and charge the batteries. **** you could fit several small wind mills on a deuce! Two on the front bumper, 2 behind the cab, 4 or 6 in the bed. Put a battery bank in the bed and then when you get home sell all that extra juice back to the power company!

oldMan99

Oh, I get it now. I thought we we worried about it dragging the mighty deuce down. I shoulda spent the extra 10 and got the lifetime warranty. Now that I have a core, a replacement is less than 40 bucks. I might be cheaper to get a spare alt than to replace the pulley.

I've already decided to spend the $123 for another 24 volt alt. Just to keep handy. Of course I'm the guy who has a spare dogbone and bracket in the tool box.
You can NEVER have to many spares, tools, extra fuel, extra water, food, beer.... Might need a larger truck.... Or maybe just another (Spare) truck....

JasonS

Dug, your next mod should be a windmill to the truck, that way you dont need ANY alternators. The windmill will spin while you drive and charge the batteries. **** you could fit several small wind mills on a deuce! Two on the front bumper, 2 behind the cab, 4 or 6 in the bed. Put a battery bank in the bed and then when you get home sell all that extra juice back to the power company!
Or use the battery power to spin the windmills to get extra speed.[thumbzup]

oldMan99

I think adding 1 large windmill instead of a bunch of small ones would work better. Add it to the front bumper.

13'6" is maximum legal height. subtract 18" for ground clearance, and 6 inches on top to allow for a bit of safety room on the 13'6" and you have a blade diameter of 11'6" .

Build a mount to hold this about 12" in front of the front bumper and add a 12 VDC, 24 VDC alternator and even a 120 VAC generator and drive on. You'll be able to have plenty of amps to charge all your batteries and enough left over to cook anything you want.

Added advantage is that when you hit Zombies or other road kill the blade will automatically slice the meat up for you saving you both time and effort before you cook it using all your excess amps.

Additionally, the wind (and or inertia) from the blades will sling your sliced and cooked meat directly into the bed of your Deuce further saving you time, effort and energy.

A final benefit is that if you install a windmill using surplus aircraft parts you can install the blades using the same parts that a constant speed aircraft propeller uses. This will allow you to reverse the blades. The advantage of this??

Simple: In normal "Power generation while underway" mode the spinning blades will help you if you run out of fuel by pulling you along just like a helicopter uses it's blades inertia to land safely after an engine out situation, (Called "Autorotation") Now the smart ones in the class are thinking, "Yeah but that is also going to make it a real B***H to stop since the blades will want to pull you down the road.

Wrong. This is where the reverser comes in. You have Harry Potter install a switch on the stock brake pedal so that when you touch the brakes the blades reverse and instead of pulling you down the road, they actually help you stop.

So now you can turn up the fuel, install those huge tires and actually stop faster than before.

Not to mention the 11'5" blades spinning like all **** on the front of your truck will be intimidating to all the idiot drivers around you and they will most likely stay out of your way... and if they don't, your blades chop, cook and randomly stack their remains for you so if they do pull out in front of you it becomes a non issue.

Now keeping in mind that this post is intended only to help the thread reach the goal of 200 posts I am not to be held responsible for any unintended damage (or intended damage) you cause to yourself, your friends, family, bystanders, other motorists, pedestrians, train engineers, chemical engineers, electrical, mechanical, biophysical or any other kind of engineers living, dead, formerly living, formerly dead either now, in the passed or future in this or any parallel time.

Warranted for 5 feet or 5 seconds, whichever comes first.

Not valid in any state.

Must be over 41(34*5x)(745*45)/53 years of age to use, read, apply, understand, pretend to understand, look confused, actually be confused or otherwise have this post appear on any computer, paper, smoke signal, or telepathic means of communication.

You agree not to make any reference to this post on face page, my book, twater, your space, by text, SMS, email, snail mail, international sign language, or in any other way.

Not affiliated with EMS, FBI, CIA, NCIS, IRS, ABC, NBC, AFL, NFL, NBA, ABA, DHS, FCC, NASCAR, NHRA, FAA, NTSB, NAACP, or any other combination of letters that may or may not represent any organization real, imagined, or otherwise.

For English, press #, for any other language hang up now, to leave a message press 5 then * then 41, click the call waiting button 4 times, spell your name in Swahili using the number/letter keys backward and then leave your name, time, date, serial number, grandmothers social security number, the name of your 5th grade teacher, your first girlfriends current phone number, her measurements, a web link address to her picture, the favorite color of your next door neighbor and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

In short: Your mileage with this plan may vary and you are completely on your own. I never said, typed, wrote, thought, dreamed or hallucinated any of the above. In fact, I am not me, I am someone else from another time, space and planetary system.

We are now one post closer to 200.....

Last edited:

plym49

I think adding 1 large windmill instead of a bunch of small ones would work better. Add it to the front bumper.

13'6" is maximum legal height. subtract 18" for ground clearance, and 6 inches on top to allow for a bit of safety room on the 13'6" and you have a blade diameter of 11'6" .

Build a mount to hold this about 12" in front of the front bumper and add a 12 VDC, 24 VDC alternator and even a 120 VAC generator and drive on. You'll be able to have plenty of amps to charge all your batteries and enough left over to cook anything you want.

Added advantage is that when you hit Zombies or other road kill the blade will automatically slice the meat up for you saving you both time and effort before you cook it using all your excess amps.

Additionally, the wind (and or inertia) from the blades will sling your sliced and cooked meat directly into the bed of your Deuce further saving you time, effort and energy.

A final benefit is that if you install a windmill using surplus aircraft parts you can install the blades using the same parts that a constant speed aircraft propeller uses. This will allow you to reverse the blades. The advantage of this??

Simple: In normal "Power generation while underway" mode the spinning blades will help you if you run out of fuel by pulling you along just like a helicopter uses it's blades inertia to land safely after an engine out situation, (Called "Autorotation") Now the smart ones in the class are thinking, "Yeah but that is also going to make it a real B***H to stop since the blades will want to pull you down the road.

Wrong. This is where the reverser comes in. You have Harry Potter install a switch on the stock brake pedal so that when you touch the brakes the blades reverse and instead of pulling you down the road, they actually help you stop.

So now you can turn up the fuel, install those huge tires and actually stop faster than before.

Not to mention the 11'5" blades spinning like all **** on the front of your truck will be intimidating to all the idiot drivers around you and they will most likely stay out of your way... and if they don't, your blades chop, cook and randomly stack their remains for you so if they do pull out in front of you it becomes a non issue.

Now keeping in mind that this post is intended only to help the thread reach the goal of 200 posts I am not to be held responsible for any unintended damage (or intended damage) you cause to yourself, your friends, family, bystanders, other motorists, pedestrians, train engineers, chemical engineers, electrical, mechanical, biophysical or any other kind of engineers living, dead, formerly living, formerly dead either now, in the passed or future in this or any parallel time.

Warranted for 5 feet or 5 seconds, whichever comes first.

Not valid in any state.

Must be over 41(34*5x)(745*45)/53 years of age to use, read, apply, understand, pretend to understand, look confused, actually be confused or otherwise have this post appear on any computer, paper, smoke signal, or telepathic means of communication.

You agree not to make any reference to this post on face page, my book, twater, your space, by text, SMS, email, snail mail, international sign language, or in any other way.

Not affiliated with EMS, FBI, CIA, NCIS, IRS, ABC, NBC, AFL, NFL, NBA, ABA, DHS, FCC, NASCAR, NHRA, FAA, NTSB, NAACP, or any other combination of letters that may or may not represent any organization real, imagined, or otherwise.

For English, press #, for any other language hang up now, to leave a message press 5 then * then 41, click the call waiting button 4 times, spell your name in Swahili using the number/letter keys backward and then leave your name, time, date, serial number, grandmothers social security number, the name of your 5th grade teacher, your first girlfriends current phone number, her measurements, a web link address to her picture, the favorite color of your next door neighbor and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

In short: Your mileage with this plan may vary and you are completely on your own. I never said, typed, wrote, thought, dreamed or hallucinated any of the above. In fact, I am not me, I am someone else from another time, space and planetary system.

We are now one post closer to 200.....
Once, in my shop, I had a customer come in who wanted me to add propellers and generators and airfoils all over his motorcycle - that he also wanted converted to electric - so that he could generate electricity while he rode from the wind going past, and ride for free.

I tried but could not get across to him the concept of "perpetual motion: why it is not going to work". I did not want to take a fool's money so I sent him on to the next shop.

I never saw him again and have always wondered if he was really that ignorant or a plant by consumer affairs.

I guess some days it is just like this: http://i.imgur.com/E09Ud.gif

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got back from Mark's (aka 100Dollarman aka Hundy) and we talked for about three minutes on this subject. Mark has and has had a lot of wild 4 x 4s and buggies and Jeeps and Rock crawlers, etc, etc. It was his Jeep and winch that did most of the work rescuing WW's truck from deep in the DIRTBAG mine shaft. He knows some chit about winches I'm sure.

He told me that if he were to run a cheap azz winch a few times a year like I plan on he would add a third battery and find a place to stick a solar panel. A normal car battery will power a cheap winch through several cycles pulling ATVs from ground level to deuce bed level on 11 foot ramps.

So there you have it - solar!

I'm sure Hundy has winched chit from places some of us can only dream of (those Jeep dudes and rock freaks go to some **** crazy places). If he thinks my cheap azz alt and cheap azz winch is overkill, I trust him.

Anyway, we need about 15 more posts, because 200 on this thread is all Im giving Rat4Spd for Christmas.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was gonna suggest using a solar charger, when the thread first started. I didn't say anything because I did not want to HIJACK your thread.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was gonna suggest using a solar charger, when the thread first started. I didn't say anything because I did not want to HIJACK your thread.
Dog, this thread has been so hijacked that we won't be able to find it with lo jack!

And in all seriousness (is that still allowed?) dual alts look kewl.

plym49

I just got back from Mark's (aka 100Dollarman aka Hundy) and we talked for about three minutes on this subject. Mark has and has had a lot of wild 4 x 4s and buggies and Jeeps and Rock crawlers, etc, etc. It was his Jeep and winch that did most of the work rescuing WW's truck from deep in the DIRTBAG mine shaft. He knows some chit about winches I'm sure.

He told me that if he were to run a cheap azz winch a few times a year like I plan on he would add a third battery and find a place to stick a solar panel. A normal car battery will power a cheap winch through several cycles pulling ATVs from ground level to deuce bed level on 11 foot ramps.

So there you have it - solar!

I'm sure Hundy has winched chit from places some of us can only dream of (those Jeep dudes and rock freaks go to some **** crazy places). If he thinks my cheap azz alt and cheap azz winch is overkill, I trust him.

Anyway, we need about 15 more posts, because 200 on this thread is all Im giving Rat4Spd for Christmas.
Backup to the backup again - what if you need to recharge that third batery at night, or more quickly than can be handled by your panels (their output is usually puny compared to what you can get from an alternator)?

There is a low cost, low parts count way to handle that, if you do not want to go with the extra alternator. It is the long way around the block, like some Brit designs, but it will work for occasional use.

Get a small inverter and a battery tender. Hook the inverter across one of the batteries across your 24v bank, plug in the battery tender, and done.

Not very efficient and it is an expedient. But it will work and it avoids any problems you might run into by just using jumper cables from one 12v battery to your third.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Backup to the backup again - what if you need to recharge that third batery at night, or more quickly than can be handled by your panels (their output is usually puny compared to what you can get from an alternator)?

There is a low cost, low parts count way to handle that, if you do not want to go with the extra alternator. It is the long way around the block, like some Brit designs, but it will work for occasional use.

Get a small inverter and a battery tender. Hook the inverter across one of the batteries across your 24v bank, plug in the battery tender, and done.

Not very efficient and it is an expedient. But it will work and it avoids any problems you might run into by just using jumper cables from one 12v battery to your third.
IF I were to use just a battery and a solar panel (we all know by now that I'm long past that) and IF the battery died before I could load all 3 ATVs I would simply -

drive the big ATV up the ramps in 4 x 4. Turn it around in the bed (PITA to do BTW) and send it's winch to bring up the other two. It's how we do it now.

Since I was serious and honest a few posts up, I'll do it again here. Two of the ATVs can easily be riden up the ramps. The 3rd, a kiddie ATV can't power itself up but two people can lift it up. Why don't I just do that? Back in 2004 I had a bad ATV accident. I wasn't doing anything stoopid, I had all my safety gear on, it was a freak thing. I spent a week in the hospital with a collasped lung. Two years later I was loading a ATV into my pick up (still wearing all my PPE thank gawd) and the ramp slide out from under and I almost went to the hospital again. In short - I don't WANT to ride the things up there. They aren't go fast Glamis sand quads - the are 4 x4s and fricken heavy when they land on you. I want to winch them up backwards and ride them down (actually Soldier B does this now) the ramps.

plym49

IF I were to use just a battery and a solar panel (we all know by now that I'm long past that) and IF the battery died before I could load all 3 ATVs I would simply -

drive the big ATV up the ramps in 4 x 4. Turn it around in the bed (PITA to do BTW) and send it's winch to bring up the other two. It's how we do it now.

Since I was serious and honest a few posts up, I'll do it again here. Two of the ATVs can easily be riden up the ramps. The 3rd, a kiddie ATV can't power itself up but two people can lift it up. Why don't I just do that? Back in 2004 I had a bad ATV accident. I wasn't doing anything stoopid, I had all my safety gear on, it was a freak thing. I spent a week in the hospital with a collasped lung. Two years later I was loading a ATV into my pick up (still wearing all my PPE thank gawd) and the ramp slide out from under and I almost went to the hospital again. In short - I don't WANT to ride the things up there. They aren't go fast Glamis sand quads - the are 4 x4s and fricken heavy when they land on you. I want to winch them up backwards and ride them down (actually Soldier B does this now) the ramps.
So, are you back on the alternator, or what? *confused*

Another redundancy: a manual boat winch in the back of your deuce.

I agree with Hundy that one charged-up deep cycle will power a winch for 3 ATVs up the ramps.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, are you back on the alternator, or what? *confused*

Another redundancy: a manual boat winch in the back of your deuce.

I agree with Hundy that one charged-up deep cycle will power a winch for 3 ATVs up the ramps.
Um, I guess I'm back on with the alt. If you look back around page 3-5 you'll see pics of it INSTALLED. So, yeah, I'm leaning that way.

The reason the winch isn't installed in the bed is because I'm still having back pain and Soldier B is doing court ordered time with his birth mom for Christmas. Once he is sprung from the frozen tundra of Iowa we can get it hooked up.

In the meantime I've ordered a Painless wiring fusebox and a 24 volt relay. I'm still shopping for a beefy invertor.

The winch and invertor will connect directly to the battery but will only be hooked up when needed. Smaller loads such as lights, an ipod charger, etc will go through the fuse box.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I though you needed to power an electric blaket, to keep you warm if it dips below 75F while you sleep.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried but could not get across to him the concept of "perpetual motion: why it is not going to work".
What are you talking about !?!?!?!? I use perpetual motion all the time. First I added a big assd electric motor then I hooked that motor to a generator. the motor turn the generator making electricity which power the motor! Dang im smart! I found a few illustrations on how my system works. And when I need alittle extra speed to keep up with traffic I bust out my Magnet! I gotta be careful though cause with that magnet there is no limit to how fast I can go.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.