• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooling a Deuce Cab

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, a little trick to keep you cool on road trips. Many know this trick, many don't. Close ALL windows except the drivers side windshield. Prop that open about 6". This will pressurize the cab and blow air out all of the little holes. Not too good in town but awesome on the highway. Just as a quick check, go for a ride and see how hot the transfer case shifter gets then do it my way. Inside 10 minutes the transfer case shifter will cool off.

armytruck63

Sounds great, I'll try it too. I have also found that if you have a hard top and open the rear window, you will get a surprisingly large amount of air coming in, especially if you have the rear cargo cover on.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does work, but really sucks for those who want to light up a stogie while driving. Having only the windshield open blows the smoke and embers right in your eyes. Same for cigarettes. Ask me how I know.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was the short little convoy we made in Oct. 2007 to go up to Rausch Creek PA for the first rally we did there.

Jake0147

It does work, but really sucks for those who want to light up a stogie while driving. Having only the windshield open blows the smoke and embers right in your eyes. Same for cigarettes. Ask me how I know.
You need to work on your technique...;-)

Open the drivers windshield to the first "notch" in the brace. Six inches is not required to reverse the airflow and keep the cab cool. When you need (yeah right, like a hole in the head! When you want) a smoke, crack the driver's door window a bit less than half way, it'll back off the breeze long enough to fire one up, so long as you lean (just a bit, not a lot) to the right, out of th wind. You need a decent lighter, but nothing spectacular, just a regular old Bic that hasn't got too much pocket lint in it to prevent a steady flame). Then SLOWLY close the driver's side window a little at a time, there's a good "sweet spot" probably a couple or three inches down where the windshield breeze is reduced, but the cab is still just barely lightly pressurized. Still a little breezy, but not nearly so much so as with the side window shut completely. You can then use the transfer case shifter hole like a vacuum powered ash tray.
:grd:

nk14zp

Folks, a little trick to keep you cool on road trips. Many know this trick, many don't. Close ALL windows except the drivers side windshield. Prop that open about 6". This will pressurize the cab and blow air out all of the little holes. Not too good in town but awesome on the highway. Just as a quick check, go for a ride and see how hot the transfer case shifter gets then do it my way. Inside 10 minutes the transfer case shifter will cool off.
:ditto:

runk

I tend not to do this on the highway, because it seems like I always drive the deuce when it might rain. How much (more then usual) rain does the open windshield let in ?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
How much (more then usual) rain does the open windshield let in ?
All of it........the rain will be coming over the hood and if you are rolling down the road it will come right on in.

No good way to stay cool in the rain in a deuce if it is hot weather......it will be like a sauna in there.

goldneagle

MAKE SURE YOU TRY THAT DURING LOVEBUG SEASON!rofl

Jake0147

Of course in a really heavy rain you're going to get wet, but at the first "notch" open, it's not bad at all in a modest rain. Bugs are moving when they come in, but most of them don't. They slow down a lot between the windhsield and you. The air flow is not what some of you are imagining. It's less like the wind you'd expect on a motorcycle, it's more like what you'd get in a standard cab pickup truck with both windows rolled down. Your ball cap stays right on your head, you don't even have to turn it around backwards.

armytruck63

"Your ball cap stays right on your head, you don't even have to turn it around backwards. "

Good! I hate the punk backwards baseball cap look.

I'll be doing some freeway driving of my deuce in warm weather (it's a dry heat) this weekend and I will report the results.

Flyingvan911

"Your ball cap stays right on your head, you don't even have to turn it around backwards. "

Good! I hate the punk backwards baseball cap look.

I'll be doing some freeway driving of my deuce in warm weather (it's a dry heat) this weekend and I will report the results.
That's nothing. Last summer I rode in a B-17 owned by the Collins Foundation. I poked my head and camcorder up through the sunroof in the radio area. I tried to look forward but couldn't. I did get some nice footage to the sides and tail.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks