• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooling of CUCV during summer.

stationjj

I am a new CUCV M1009 owner. Summer 2012 is almost here. I live in Middle Tennessee. I enjoying driving my CUCV, and like to haul my dog around with me in the back seat.

On a few trips it's got hot, especial if your not moving. Traffic will bake you. I have concerns with my dog. I provide plenty of water. If he isn't wet already.

I found rolling down back windows does help some, but exhaust fumes. I found 2 holes in back bed that may be causing exhaust fumes? They are 2 holes about 1/2 inch in diameter. What's best way to plug these holes? I am thinking a good bolt with washer and sealant?

I just recently painted the whole cab and bed with the light color sand durabak. This may help?

I am also considering a mount dash fan that trucker's use? As anyone used this?

I would like to get the Nostalgic Air kit for the CUCV, but it's not in my budget at the moment. A future project.

In the meantime what has everyone done to keep the cab cool without an A/C modification?

Thanks for your input!

stationjj

wired1000

Maybe you already know this, but those knobs near the parking brake release and in the same spot on the passenger side will open vents that bring fresh air from the wheel wells. Only helps when you're moving, but I wonder if some kind of fan could be installed that'd force air through?

SgtSnorkel

I have been thinking about this too , when my truck (M1009) is moving with vents open its not so bad but when parked with windows closed on a sunny day temps inside soar and the inside gets heat soaked . I have been thinking about maybe getting a solar power roof vent from home dopey ? to put on top . I would paint it od green and tell anyone who asks , that its a radar dome !

wired1000

I have been thinking about this too , when my truck (M1009) is moving with vents open its not so bad but when parked with windows closed on a sunny day temps inside soar and the inside gets heat soaked . I have been thinking about maybe getting a solar power roof vent from home dopey ? to put on top . I would paint it od green and tell anyone who asks , that its a radar dome !
hey, great idea! best part is it would keep the cabin from turning into an oven while parked

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rolling down the back window actually won't help at all at higher speeds (above say 35mph) and actually makes things worse. The airflow will roll behind the vehicle and the hot air will come in through the back window, along with all the exhaust fumes, engine heat, road heat, etc.

I know this from experience, having driven an M1009 with no rear glass from Oklahoma to Texas on a 105* day for Sarge. The air was blasting through from back to front, but it was like being in a furnace. It was a miserable experience, and I was very dehydrated at the end of it despite drinking so much water and Gatorade I thought I would float off. All that fluid intake and no bathroom breaks tells you something!

Operating my other 1009s, which DO have rear windows, under similar heat/distance conditions do not give me the same miserable experience. Wet cloths or towels with some ice or freezer packs rolled up in them work wonders for comfort.

Basically, rear window down makes it hotter and even at low speeds will give you a good start on carbon monoxide poisoning (which is why the manufacturers always had a warning not to do it on civvie vehicles).

Others experience may vary, but there's my 2cents

Cheers

Last edited:

Goose2448

Or this Arctic Air Portable Air Conditioner (38 qt., single fan, 12 volt) - Sporty's Pilot Shop For those that have deep pockets. I like the custom made cooler idea....lots cheaper
Or just get a cheap cooler, some ducting, a small 12v fan, and a few bags of ice. I am sure this solution has been discussed before, but why not pull the A/C unit out of a Civy truck? I am sure you guys could figure it out, and with a little thought I could too, but it would be a much cheaper solution and be kinda stock.

stationjj

Thanks everyone for your input. You gave me a lot of ideas to go on.

I like the A/C from a cooler. I could use it different situations besides CUCV.

I found a 48 quart unit completely built out on Amazon for $314 with shipping. It's pricey, but cheaper than the arctic air units. Search for Comfort Chill on Amazon. 1 review used it in a mini van with good reviews. So I suspect chilling a CUCV M1009 shouldn't be a issue.

I has got my interest! I need to weigh cost and time if I built it myself? As I don't have the parts needed to build.

Wanted to share my findings with everyone.

frznamn

I know this is a old post but has anyone used the rv spin up vent with the screens? They even make ones with fans that I could see a small Honda battery and solar panel should easily power.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is a old post but has anyone used the rv spin up vent with the screens? They even make ones with fans that I could see a small Honda battery and solar panel should easily power.
All of the RV fan vents are 12v.
Could just wire it direct.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking of when its parked, you wouldnt want it to drain your battery and leave you stranded.
Ah
Yea that wouldn't work
Tinted windows will make a world of difference. All my non-MV vehicles are tinted.
Also using windshield shades help also to keep direct sunlight from inside.
Of course the fact that zero insulation isn't helping any.

I have a 24v trucker fan, whatever it called (it was military issue) installed in my M1008A1.
Makes a nice big difference until truck is all heat soaked in summer. Then it's a heat fan.
It is nice in the winter when you can blow warm air all around and keep the windows fog free.

I mounted it on the fire extinguisher bracket and the fan head itself rotates all over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks