• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correcting a mistake

AN/ARC186

One thing I've never understood is why Dodge didn't use it's Ramcharger base to build a CUCV.
My son is getting ready to head to North Carolina for a job and his old 84 Ramcharger was pretty tired.
So, rather than do a normal rebuild he decided he wanted do turn it into something more like an M1009.
New engine, rebuilt transmission and a NAPA stores worth of new parts we set to work.
Bought the RAPCO 383 CARC substitute to paint it with, starting in the engine bay.
FT POWELL found us a CUCV bumper and grill guard complete with clevis's, thanks Ed!!
Dug through my stuff and came up with an antenna mounting bracket that was posing as a doorstop.
The build is underway! Pics to follow...

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dodge did compete for the CUCV contract, including offering the Ramcharger. Ford competed too. Chevrolet won the bidding.

Cheers

rickf

The 7.3 would have been way to heavy for the front end of a Bronco. I would have liked to have seen the redesign on that. That or the Cummins powered Ramcharger would be big time driveline destroyers. You would basically have to put one ton drivelines under either one.

AN/ARC186

Been busy working on this as well as my normal job. My sons been doing the majority of the paint and body work since it's his truck.

Replaced the worn out seats with new reclining buckets, fabbed up base adapter plates so they'd bolt in.

Got the engine and transmission in. Engine is a 5.9L 360 gas. Trans is the ol reliable 727 Torqueflite.

Modified an antenna mount to accept a standard 102" whip and set that in place. radio transmits and receives loud and clear.

Also had a sight laying around from a Gau-2B cradle so I figured I'd replace the broken hood ornament with something a bit more appropriate.

replaced the broken grill with one from a newer P/U

the last two pictures are before we started the work.

more to follow...

Attachments

Last edited:

AN/ARC186

Actually, the interior was originally red, he repainted the door panels and dashboard black. We replaced the seat belts with new 3 points and he has painted all the exposed metal that was black with 383 carc substitute green.

AN/ARC186

Well, after a month or so and many parts runs later we're 95% finished.
He'll be heading from the Great Pacific Northwet to N.C. on Tuesday to connect up with another Steel soldiers member. Thanks Dale!!
Still a few minor things to do once he's there but I figure it will keep him occupied.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks