• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cost for replacing front leaf springs and shocks?

LastFbody

Title says most of it. Got an estimate of ~$850 with parts for the job which seemed kinda steep to me. I definitely want to have it done professionally just in the event something goes horribly wrong for insurance purposes.

Any opinions?

I think it would depend a lot on what type of springs and shocks. The cost of materials is directly related to the final cost of the job.
My 4'' tuff country front springs were $400 for both sides and 4 shocks were $175 for a total of $575. Leaving them appx $225 in labor which seems about right.

cucvrus

New front springs were $420. Shackles were $60. and all the new bolts, nuts and washers. $0. Total of parts was $520. I would put them on all day for $200. a set. At $800. I would do an alignment also. So that price is NOT bad. That is if they are replacing everything. Good Luck. I use the 4 ply springs it makes the truck ride nicer and sit level. DAYCO 22-402 was the front spring set part number. DAYCO 330-103 was the front shackle kit. This is an easy job if you have access to a torch for heating and cutting bolts. Good Luck.

LastFbody

Thanks for all the feedback. If it wasnt a part of the vehicle that would be a complete and utter disaster if it failed, I'd have no problem doing it on my own, its not that technically complicated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my humble opinion, I think one runs more of a liability risk changing a front tire vs changing front springs. I retorque my ubolts at 50 and 500 miles and thats it. Much more chance for a problem changing a tire.

glaser06

I think it would depend a lot on what type of springs and shocks. The cost of materials is directly related to the final cost of the job.
My 4'' tuff country front springs were $400 for both sides and 4 shocks were $175 for a total of $575. Leaving them appx $225 in labor which seems about right.
How have those held up for ya? I was looking at them for my 1028.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

MarcusOReallyus

I'm no expert mechanic at all, but I would not hesitate to tackle this job. I'm about to do the tie rods, complete, on my Jeep. It's just not that big a deal.

Jozseph

Title says most of it. Got an estimate of ~$850 with parts for the job which seemed kinda steep to me. I definitely want to have it done professionally just in the event something goes horribly wrong for insurance purposes. <br>Any opinions?
FWIW
You can purchase Made in USA [1981 - 1991] GM 1 TON REAR LEAF SPRING, 4650 LBS CAPACITY, 10 (9/1) LEAVES, 56" SPRING for $180.00 each ($360 for a pair) plus the shipping cost. New U bolts $12.00 + or - a few dollars, or U bolt reversal kit for around $90.00. New greasable bolts {Yes, greasable bolts] for $6.50 each. I would change the leaf spring bushing and shock bushings to Energy Suspension polyurethane. Do the work myself, resulting in a far better job for less money.

Regards

Joseph

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks