• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cost for replacing front leaf springs and shocks?

LastFbody

Title says most of it. Got an estimate of ~$850 with parts for the job which seemed kinda steep to me. I definitely want to have it done professionally just in the event something goes horribly wrong for insurance purposes.

Any opinions?

I think it would depend a lot on what type of springs and shocks. The cost of materials is directly related to the final cost of the job.
My 4'' tuff country front springs were $400 for both sides and 4 shocks were $175 for a total of $575. Leaving them appx $225 in labor which seems about right.

cucvrus

New front springs were $420. Shackles were $60. and all the new bolts, nuts and washers. $0. Total of parts was $520. I would put them on all day for $200. a set. At $800. I would do an alignment also. So that price is NOT bad. That is if they are replacing everything. Good Luck. I use the 4 ply springs it makes the truck ride nicer and sit level. DAYCO 22-402 was the front spring set part number. DAYCO 330-103 was the front shackle kit. This is an easy job if you have access to a torch for heating and cutting bolts. Good Luck.

LastFbody

Thanks for all the feedback. If it wasnt a part of the vehicle that would be a complete and utter disaster if it failed, I'd have no problem doing it on my own, its not that technically complicated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my humble opinion, I think one runs more of a liability risk changing a front tire vs changing front springs. I retorque my ubolts at 50 and 500 miles and thats it. Much more chance for a problem changing a tire.

glaser06

I think it would depend a lot on what type of springs and shocks. The cost of materials is directly related to the final cost of the job.
My 4'' tuff country front springs were $400 for both sides and 4 shocks were $175 for a total of $575. Leaving them appx $225 in labor which seems about right.
How have those held up for ya? I was looking at them for my 1028.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

MarcusOReallyus

I'm no expert mechanic at all, but I would not hesitate to tackle this job. I'm about to do the tie rods, complete, on my Jeep. It's just not that big a deal.

Jozseph

Title says most of it. Got an estimate of ~$850 with parts for the job which seemed kinda steep to me. I definitely want to have it done professionally just in the event something goes horribly wrong for insurance purposes. <br>Any opinions?
FWIW
You can purchase Made in USA [1981 - 1991] GM 1 TON REAR LEAF SPRING, 4650 LBS CAPACITY, 10 (9/1) LEAVES, 56" SPRING for $180.00 each ($360 for a pair) plus the shipping cost. New U bolts $12.00 + or - a few dollars, or U bolt reversal kit for around $90.00. New greasable bolts {Yes, greasable bolts] for $6.50 each. I would change the leaf spring bushing and shock bushings to Energy Suspension polyurethane. Do the work myself, resulting in a far better job for less money.

Regards

Joseph