• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Could I use a 5-ton for this?

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A loading dock/dirt ramp/dugout ramp is the only safe way to get that tractor up that high. Steel ramps would be longer than the truck itself to keep the angle down. Not worth killing yourself over!

You can still find a decent 939sr for $5000, but it won't be from any of the gov sites or dealers at this time, someone who owns one will be your best bet!

Good Luck!

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "loading dock" idea is the only safe way to load a tractor that big into the bed of a truck that sits 5 feet ( or more) off the ground. My personal preference is to use a trailer for the load and a 5 ton to pull it. I pull a covered trailer with an M37 and an M151 inside. It's a 13,000 pound package. I pulled it once with my F250... I won't do that again. I added an electric break controller to the M934. It pulls and stops great. There are many ways to get your tractor to and from your hunting lodge, but towing it there with a 5 is probably the most fun way to do it.

Ford Mechanic

Also with ramps the approach angle could cause the bush hog to bottom out the 3 point possibly damaging the mower.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ford Mechanic

I'm all for the 923, I love mine. Buy a trailer for it and use it for the tractor, fill the bed with dirt or gravel to fix your driveway!12871.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

twisted60

Second the 923, I've got one that I love, very easy to drive, like others have said, build a berm, back up to it and drive tractor into bed. 14' x 8' bed is a good size, but watch for low hanging stuff.

Rescue101

Ramp loading

Don't even THINK about loading the tractor on ramps. I don't even like loading equipment on a LOWbed on ramps. If you can build an earthern "loading dock"on both properties.......Great........if not use a trailer. the slightest moisture/mud on the ramps can cause disaster. I can't count the times I've had a dozer slide off a lowbed in the winter here in Maine. I assure you it is NO fun.

wcuhillbilly

Don't even THINK about loading the tractor on ramps. I don't even like loading equipment on a LOWbed on ramps. If you can build an earthern "loading dock"on both properties.......Great........if not use a trailer. the slightest moisture/mud on the ramps can cause disaster. I can't count the times I've had a dozer slide off a lowbed in the winter here in Maine. I assure you it is NO fun.[/QUOTE]

Yes,,,,, It is a wild ride.... I can speak from experience.... I hate wood or steel beds in the winter time... even with caulks on my dozer grousers It can be a killer.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't even THINK about loading the tractor on ramps. I don't even like loading equipment on a LOWbed on ramps. If you can build an earthern "loading dock"on both properties.......Great........if not use a trailer. the slightest moisture/mud on the ramps can cause disaster. I can't count the times I've had a dozer slide off a lowbed in the winter here in Maine. I assure you it is NO fun.
When it gets cold, those tractor tires won't have the "gription" on steel decking like they might when temperatures are warmer out....

And let's consider what ramps would be suitable for loading a 4500-lb tractor into the bed of the 923...they'd have to be extraordinarily long to reduce the break-over angle to prevent damage to your mower, and any ramps that long are going to sag & bow tremendously at long lengths. How will you prevent the sagging/bowing? Add extra material, which will make the ramps so heavy as to defeat their purpose, because now they don't fit in the truck and you can't move them? Or place so many vertical supports under the ramps that it becomes too heavy/cumbersome to move?

Your best bets are to build loading docks at both properties, or buy/borrow a trailer for whenever the tractor needs to be moved.

I personally prefer the trailer option, as several members have shown the convenience of the truck bed (without tractor in it) in posts above... a 923 is very handy to have, to move firewood, dirt, rocks, gravel, supplies, building materials, etc... around at will, and not have to worry about where to fit your tractor. Plus the air brakes in the 939-series work VERY WELL, and for a long time.

I would think from other members' posts above, justifying the purchase of a 923 would be a pretty easy thing now...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks