• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cracked my intake manifold today

Smokinyoda

Stubborn pipe plug cracked my manifold!!!

Been trying to get a pipe plug out for several days to install a cab heater. After numerous soakings with kroil, heating up with a torch, etc the vice grips still kept slipping off, rounding head in process. So I would grind new flats, and repeat. Pretty soon I just twisted off what was left of the head, so ground flat and drilled out the center of the plug to use an EZ out. As you can see from the pics I guess my EZ out dug in to much, swelling the plug and cracking the cast manifold. Would have thought the plug would break loose long before this happened...

So now what? Not much pressure there so maybe look into getting it welded, or just bite the bullet and replace the manifold? (if I can find one local that is)

Bad thing is the plug is still firmly stuck!!! :shock:

Attachments

caliber1

How centered is your hole? I would drill bigger until just shy of the threads then tap it out. Either way, the intake has to come off now. If you know a GOOD welder, that could be welded. But I would replace if you can find one.

shannondeese

I am sorry to hear about your intake, but you just saved me. I have been having the same problem with mine trying to get that plug out. I finally today just got the lower plug out cleanly. So I am going to put a step up in that spot and use it.

Smokinyoda

Yea I figured better to replace, especially if I had to pull off to take to a welder anyway. Guess its time to post a want add for a replacement.

This simple little project just got alot worse...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that is just the water jacket with 15psi or so, you could jb weld. I have seen that stuff do amazing things. Just $5. You have nothing to lose if it still leaks then replace it. I have had customers fix blocks and heads with that stuff.

Best of Luck!

Smokinyoda

I'd weld it. But I guess I'm in the minority there.....
I would if I could do it on the truck, but having to remove it to take to someone who knows what there doing... might as well replace it and be done.

But then again the JB Weld idea might work since its not a high pressure area... I was thinking about trying it, but ...

Still got to get that stubborn plug out first!!!

Heading to Ft Benning on Thursday if anyone has one for sale between here and there.

welldigger

I wouldn't use the jb weld. Just smearing it over the crack the vibrations from the engine will probably cause the job weld to crack. If that's aluminum then if you have or know someone with a might welder with a spool gun you can weld it on the truck. If its cast iron id braze it. Also if its aluminum I'd bet you could heli-arc it on the truck. Mig would probly be your best bet.

welldigger

I wouldn't use the jb weld. Just smearing it over the crack the vibrations from the engine will probably cause the job weld to crack. If that's aluminum then if you have or know someone with a might welder with a spool gun you can weld it on the truck. If its cast iron id braze it. Also if its aluminum I'd bet you could heli-arc it on the truck. Mig would probly be your best bet.
I meant mig weld. Auto correct put might.

goldneagle

I may have one as well. I took apart a multifuel a few years ago and save the intake and exhaust manifolds. May still have them. Make me an offer by PM if interested. Can UPS it to you.

100_2897.jpg100_2898.jpg100_2899.jpg