• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crew cab M35 taking a dump on air

Snarky

Wow, a real suspension setup. I get bored looking at every bobbed truck on trailer leaf springs, heck they had leaf springs on covered wagons heading to California. I'll have to check out that xtreme 4x4 episode.

Jakob

CC, how hard would it be to put a coil spring in place of those bags? What id love to see next is a bobber with 4 link and coil springs and also airbags for when carrying a big load.

would make for great ride on and off road, still be able to carry a large pay load and have the redundancy if a air bag broke or vice versa.
I had a thought similar that using Dodge diesel front coil springs. They should be able to support plenty of weight and if you ever wanted to lift the truck, there are lift springs available commercially.

eldgenb

I figure about 7,000lbs is a good safe load any more than that and you will be overtaxing the brakes. Yes the axle is rated at 14,000, the bags are 7500lbs a piece, but you have to factor in the saftey of you and everyone else including the truck frame. Its amazing how this thing rides, and I did just do the simple leveling valves for the bags. So no matter how much weight you put on it will stay the same height. I started with one valve, but after hanging the fuel tank full of fuel the truck tilted a little to that side, so I put another leveling valve on to split the bags up, so it will sit level if you have an uneven load. This should be much safer for dumping operations
is there any way you can submit a diagram of your air circuit for the bags? I am in the process of doing something similar to my 5 ton and am inexperienced in the valving etc. Do you just have a valve stem to fill them manually or do you have something fancier? I was contemplating using a windshield wiper valve to fill and another one to dump but I do not know how that would work while keeping the bags separate. Anything you could share would be a great help.
Thanks in advance.

Just wanted to add an explanation to why I think the 4 link is superior to leaf spring in a bobbed application.

Going with a 4 link set up with the correct angled links will eliminate wheel hop in all but the most extreme situations.

If you use adjustable links you can adjust your rear suspension forward/rear and left/right. This will help centering the tire in the wheel well and the tracking of the rear end with the front which will increase tire life and improve handling.

There is also the benefit of added clearance and less weight. If you wanna go higher, swap out the coils for taller ones and a taller shock. You may need longer links and new mount locations to keep the link angles correct when making a big change in coil height. Coils or air bags weigh alot less then leaf's.

Coil springs also respond faster then leafs.

ghost

Now that is why I want one of these, I have always liked mv's and really want one. I thought about spending the cash for a h1 but I see too many of those. Just curious, when its all said and done....as a rough guess what do you think you have into a nice quad cab when it all done. I prefer to keep what I buy a 6x6, but have around 25k I am gonna drop into my new toy including the truck and see what I can come up with. I however have never spent time behind a wrench outside of minor repairs like a water pump or something small. I will most likely sub out a lot of the mods I make but will be there and be as hands on as I can. Should that be enough to finish one out right?

ccequipment

is there any way you can submit a diagram of your air circuit for the bags? I am in the process of doing something similar to my 5 ton and am inexperienced in the valving etc. Do you just have a valve stem to fill them manually or do you have something fancier? I was contemplating using a windshield wiper valve to fill and another one to dump but I do not know how that would work while keeping the bags separate. Anything you could share would be a great help.
Thanks in advance.
A simple trailer leveling valve will work, you use the air supply from your truck the valve does the rest. The ones I used have the dump valve option, I am going to hook up a valve in the cab so I can dump the air off the bags to help people get in the truck and make loading the rear a little easier. I plan on putting 395's on my wheels. I will post some finshed picks up next week. I am a dealer for the Haldex valves if you need some.

ccequipment

If anyone is thinking of putting bags on your truck, it is the only way to go. The ride is simply amazing, its like riding in a half ton truck. I never though an army truck could ride like that.

nhdiesel

Very nice work!!! Now the big question...has anyone ever linked the FRONT of a Deuce? A bit more work, but with both ends done, it would ride like a Caddy! And still have full capacity.

Jim

flyxpl

Clinton , How about a parts kit , 4 link parts , bags , brackets , valves ect . To save us the time of searching for parts . Also maybe a dump conversion .

ccequipment

Clinton , How about a parts kit , 4 link parts , bags , brackets , valves ect . To save us the time of searching for parts . Also maybe a dump conversion .
I though about it, but the parts are not cheap, I used all top of the line USA made parts. I am planining on ordering another set of parts in.
I have the dump hoists in stock also.
PM me if you interested

mudguppy

sweet! nice work, Clinton!!

i was reading through to then end so i could ask about 'kitted' parts. do you have a dump hoist setup for a 105 bed?

PM on it's way...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks