• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crew Cab Pick up?

4x4e350

I just aquired a "Mdl Uknw" crew cab from Gov. Liq., and have already recieved my "Paid In Full" invoice, so my recovery will have to be soon.
From all the searches I've done, from what I understand the crew cabs were just civilian trucks, basically painted green.
So does this meen they are 12 volt?
There are no front hooks attached to the frame from what I can see in the pics, so I don't think I can use a tow bar to get it home. Any trailer I have seen probably wont fit a crew cab, so I was wondering if putting the rear end on a car dolly may work. I've towed a full size car this way, which has the same width as a full size truck, so I think it would fit a larger car dolly.
It also says, "No Keys", so is there a trick to getting the lock cylinder out of the steering column, so I can use needle nose pliers to turn the ignition?
Any other information would be appreciated.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A CUCV key may or may not work......if you can get the key code a locksmith can make a key for it. I would not bugger up the lock unless absolutly necessary..

I think the Air Force used the crew cabs for flightline trucks. I don't see a slave recepticle or a second battery so it is prob 12 volt.

It looks like it had bumper numbers stinciled on it at one time meaning it was issued to a particular unit and not a TMP or GSA vehicle.

axlr8

Here's the deal....Give it to me and I won't even charge you for "disposal"..... haha, is it in the tm's anywhere? sometimes a screwdriver works in the ign..., why not throw the front on the dolly and pop it in neutral?

ralbelt

If the Ignition is locked probably won't be able to shift to neutral, if it's 4wd the transfercase can be put in neutral.
I don't see the resistor on the fire wall and no second alternator so it probably is 12v.

Other opinions can vary.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best choice, hire a rollback.

4x4e350

Thanks everyone, good information.
It is a 2wd, so I figured it may just be easiest to tow it backwards. I really dont want to mess with the ignition until I get it home, so the biggest thing would be getting it into neutral.
I have a 90 mile trip, I will see what the flat bed would cost, but I bet it would be over half what I paid for the truck.:shock:

Mohawk Dave

Pull the driveshaft. tow front first. But due to size and weight, I'd definitely get a trailer.

Best luck,

Dave

4x4e350

Pull the driveshaft. tow front first. But due to size and weight, I'd definitely get a trailer.

Best luck,

Dave
Thanks, thats true, just pull the driveshaft! LOL!
Which I would probably have to do anyway to come along it onto the car dolly. But I'm thinking it may be less weight on the dolly backwards?
The only thing that worries me with a trailer, is getting one long enough to fit a crew cab on it?

niferous

You can tow it with a 16' bumper pull trailer. I towed my 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel suburban on one without any problems. Just for the record I was using a 2500 Dodge diesel to tow it. I would definatley get a truck with trailer brakes.

How long a recovery is it going to be?

4x4e350

You can tow it with a 16' bumper pull trailer. I towed my 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel suburban on one without any problems. Just for the record I was using a 2500 Dodge diesel to tow it. I would definatley get a truck with trailer brakes.

Thats good to know. I will be towing with a E350 van, with 7.3 diesel about 90 miles.

ODdave

Loosen the bolt on the shift linkage rod (where the collumn comes through the fire wall) and shift it into N. Not nessesary to pull the driveshaft to move it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Weight wise the burb and the crew will be similar. The big difference on trailer use is the wheelbase. The burb is 129 1/2" whereas the crewcab is 164 1/2" That's almost 3 feet of extra wheelbase.

niferous

Weight wise the burb and the crew will be similar. The big difference on trailer use is the wheelbase. The burb is 129 1/2" whereas the crewcab is 164 1/2" That's almost 3 feet of extra wheelbase.
Didn't realize there was that much of a differance. You may be able to rent a 20' bumper pull. Better yet someone mentioned a flatbed wrecker. Honestly at only 90 miles that's what I would do.

axeman

i have the 4wd version.after it was stolen/recovered.I had the truck delivered 30 miles with roll back truck. all over the phone cause of work. i get home finally. he let the arse end hang off the roll back,drive line bent in middle up to the frame. get it in writing !

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another option is to get the tow points off of a CUCV and add them. Would need to pull bumper. You can cut holes in the bumper later.

Preacherboy

Cool, saw that truck and wanted it...gone during bidding! My wife would not have been happy if I said, "Hey honey I've got another recovery today." So I think it works out for the best that you got the vehicle.

Although...someday I want to build one of these and lift it a shade and put hmmwv tires and wheels do it up like a cucv.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I have a u.s. navy c20 verition like army one. And I'm betting that yours is the same as mine. You can haul this truck on a 18 ft. car hauler, if you are goiung to car daully it you will need to do it from the front not the rear, the toung of the car dolly is not long enough. You wont be able to make turns as well from the rear. The truck will be 12 volt, not 24 volt. If u want to know any thing else just shout me a pm.
It's a auto th400 trany, just drop the drive shaft and tie it up out of the way. Because its a long bed crew cab its got a two piece drive shaft that has a carrier bearing in the of the two halfs, so this will prevent the drive shaft from falling out as u go down the road too. u will need a &/16 wrench to loosen the two u-join cap straps on the axle.

Last edited:

WARWAG

A car dolley may or may not work. The fact that it is 2wd will help. No hubs to hit the fenders. I would NOT tow it backwards. The car dolley should beable to handle the front end weight. If you deem it wont work then hire someone to tow it. If ot costs you a few hundred bucks extra then so be it. At least it would be done safely. Remember saftey first. Check your air pressure on the truck and have an aircompressor with you that is capable of airing up the tires to the correct tire pressure. strap it and chain it. Safety safety safety. I would hate to see it come off and cross the highway and hit a school bus head on. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks