• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crew Cab Pick up?

TedG

Does this truck have the fork truck damage on drivers side? If so, then assume the drive shaft is bent and will need to be dropped anyway.

4x4e350

Thanks everyone, all excellent information.
And yes, this is the truck with fork lift damage on the drivers side. I didn't realize that is what it was, till you pointed it out, it makes sense now.:idea:
I decided I need to use a car hauler trailer, I think I have a lead on one. I am also bringing tools and a steering wheel puller, just in case I have to pull the lock cylinder, to unlock the steering column.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you take a picklefork with you, you can quickly pop the drag link to hand steer it onto a trailer. Just another choice.

The transmission linkage is easy to disconnect also(to roll it), so is removing the drive shaft from the differential.

acmunro

18' trailer

I have a u.s. navy c20 verition like army one. And I'm betting that yours is the same as mine. You can haul this truck on a 18 ft. car hauler.
I'll second the 18' car hauler. I hauled my 90' V-3500 Crew Cab Dually 4X4 Navy truck from South Carolina to Pennsylvania on a 10,000 18' car hauler with fenders. The rear axle on the crew cab was pulled up to where the tires almost touched the fenders of the trailer. Towed back great. A little slow through the mountains in Virginia and West Virginia since I was towing it with my M1031 with stock 6.2.
Good Luck

4x4e350

Thanks again everyone.
This truck is a 2wd, so disconnecting the drag link won't work, if I'm understanding correctly. I've pulled the lock cylinders out of the steering column before by removing the steering wheel, it really isn't a big deal, with a steering wheel puller, so if I have to, I will have a puller with me, just in case.
For you other guys that got the crew cabs, did a CUCV key work in them, or did you have to have a key made? I'm getting a CUCV key just in case, I may get lucky.

acmunro

CUCV key was a no go with mine. I purchased 6 crew cabs on GL (Navy and Air Force) All have different keys since they are civilian trucks. I got lucky and mine all came with keys. Maybe you would be lucky and someone put CUCV lock cylinders in it.
If you do pull the Ignition lock cylinder a lock plate pusher sure makes the job easier. They are usually cheap to buy. As for my recoveries I hauled the one back from S.C. as I said before. Another one I used my medium towbar. I brought it back to PA from Norfork VA. I pulled the front bumper, Bolted CUCV brackets on the front, Dropped the rear section of the drive shaft, and slapped some towing lights and safety chains on it and motored home. The rest of them I had hauled home by someone else. Again Good Luck

Ken_86gt

To get a key made- go to your local Chevy dealer and they will cut a new one for about $10 or so, they did for me when I bought mine without a key. They can look up the key code from the VIN number. You will need proof of ownership.

4x4e350

Got her home today, and yes, all the connections I had fell through, so I had no choice but to rent a tow dolly, and hope for the best. After pulling the drive shaft, which is bent from fork lift damage, then I come alonged it onto the tow dolly, it fit fine.
It pulled home flawlessly, no issues. After getting it home, I pulled the steering wheel, then the lock cylinder, put a battery in it, and it fired right up, runs great. :)

Attachments

4x4e350

On the fuel filler door is a sticker, someone painted over, but it is still clearly visible "Utah ANG, Boom Operator". Plus on the sun visor, is stenciled "Point vehicle toward wind-before opening doors", i assume that's for the jet blast, or it's real windy in Utah?:razz: