• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cribbing - May be useful to others

rmgill

Hmm, it is. I've been meaning to find some good 4x4s and 6x6s, perhaps RR Ties or pressure treated wood and cut them into manageable lengths to be able to make useful cribbing where jack stands are less ideal or tall enough. I figure Drill holes in the end and thread a length of thick rope in each end to make it easier to move them and position them.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I use a bunch of 18" 6x6s, what ever you use, put a 1/2" steel plate between the top crib and the axle, this keeps the weight from setting into the wood, your cribbing will last about forever if you do this. I would NOT use railroad ties because they are full of creosote (even old ties), some VERY NASTY stuff, will burn the bare skin, stinks, will catch fire easy and almost imposable to put out, STAINS clothes, ect..

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Isn't there a T.M. on Rigging? This should go in there.
The tm is "TM 5-725", it is ALL about rigging, almost nothing about proper cribbing, the above info. will work right along side good rigging, a CRAP rigging or cribbing WILL kill you or someone else.

Hainebd

Get 6x6, 4x4, and 2x4 rough cut oak. Local saw mill will cut for you very reasonable. Dril hole in each end for rope handle. Set in a dry space for 6 months and rotate to keep flat. Then paint with very bright color so not to lose at night. Make a pull rod so you can hook the handle and pull out. Use the steel plate but makes it very slippery steel on steel. I just yes 1/2 plywood.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to have that TM. Someone got it at the GA Rally. If you know anyone in the excavating business, you might have something. One of our members who does excavating brought me a bunch of lengths of oak 4x4s that are used when delivering ductile iron pipe. I took the big mitre saw out and chopped these into 18" pieces and use them all the time for cribbing up stuff. I have an axle outside right now sitting on that cribbing. An old milk crate is great for containing cribbing in a vehicle. This is a good addition to the library.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you've done it. Everyone is going to be beating your door down for oak. Thank you very much brother.

rmgill

Ooh, they're laying pipe in my neighborhood, I might be able to get it from them...Need to stop and see if they are and if it's waste or to be reused.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JW, Do I need to drive the 813 or the Dodge down to the warehouse to get the cribbing? Maybe the Jaguar. ;-)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should always wear gloves when handling your wood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks