• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cribbing - May be useful to others

peashooter

Too bad the agency that wrote that document didnt abide by it when storing all the new and unused FEMA trailers for Katrina..... masses of unused trailers were scrapped due to bent frames from never being supported while stored.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I have to ask. Since when does a trailer like those need support when being stored? Are those special trailers or are they like the two I hauled down to Baton Rouge the week after Katrina?

peashooter

Okay, I have to ask. Since when does a trailer like those need support when being stored? Are those special trailers or are they like the two I hauled down to Baton Rouge the week after Katrina?
They are a little special. I know they have some extra weight in them due to some full size appliances. They were also built a little cheaper due to their intended use but they were also meant to be supported at the ends when they are not in transit. I think they are a cross between a travel trailer and a mobile home. There were lots of articles in the news years ago about the fields of these things that were damaged before they could be used because of where and how they parked them.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are a little special. I know they have some extra weight in them due to some full size appliances. They were also built a little cheaper due to their intended use but they were also meant to be supported at the ends when they are not in transit. I think they are a cross between a travel trailer and a mobile home. There were lots of articles in the news years ago about the fields of these things that were damaged before they could be used because of where and how they parked them.
That explains it then. The trailers we took down were not those special built FEMA trailers.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use steel plate, but cut a wide kerf under each end of the plate in the wood block so you can thread a
large zip tie under it and secure a scrap piece of plywood to the top of the steel plate.
Some weld spatter on top of the steel plate would help to keep the plywood from slipping.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To my knowledge, most trailers that were scrapped after K were due to the alleged high levels of formaldehyde in the interior and uncle did not want any liability when reselling them. Cheaper and easier to scrap wholesale than attempt to sell or repurpose.

I never heard of bent frames. That lot picture looked like Purvis, Ms where they were staged during distribution and when they started to be returned.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine were both taken to the east side of Baton Rouge, but they had places all over and yes, both mine were sold through GSA because people didn't want to live in a brand new travel trailer.

Another Ahab

Too bad the agency that wrote that document didnt abide by it when storing all the new and unused FEMA trailers for Katrina..... masses of unused trailers were scrapped due to bent frames from never being supported while stored.
And add THESE to the Taxpayer List of Sucker-Punches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks