• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crossing the Bar

It is with sadness that we report the unexpected death of our father, Prentice Colby, aka Boatcarpenter.

His obituary is here:

http://fenceviewer.com/site/index.p...m&id=83609:jonathan-prentice-colby&Itemid=940

You may not know us (Eben and Elijah Colby, Prentice's sons), but we know of you. The evenings he spent reading, researching and posting on Steel Soldiers were a great pleasure to him (and likely his reason for learning the computer). This site - and the good folks who meet, chat, and exchange advice under its digital shade tree - is just the kind of community our dad loved. He spoke about it often.

Our dad was practical, kind and smart, which is why he fit right in. Among this group of clever, helpful tinkerers, he was engaged, delighted, and at home.

As we fumble our way through the care and operation of his Deuce, do not be surprised if you hear from us. Thank you for the good fun you gave our dad, and thank you in advance for helping us carry on his pursuits.

Sincerely,

Eben and Elijah Colby

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm so sorry to hear of his passing.

Your father was a regular for a long time, on the site.

I really liked his style.

Please do not hesitate to post whenever we can assist you and your brother(and family).

I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

God Bless your father, rest in peace BC.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another devastating loss to our community. Prentice and I traded parts back and forth. He had a friend that lives in Labelle FL and I've been over his house to grab stuff. Yes, it's a sad day but I thank the Lord for blessing us with the time he shared with us.

Eben and Elijah, keep your head up, follow the path of your father. I am glad to call him my friend. Go with the Gods Prentice!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just read his obit.

I could not help smiling.(so ironic as when I read your post I was intensely saddened).

I hope you don't mind me saying(with respect), that is one he!! of an obituary! :doghead:

He was obviously one he!! of a man. We're all lucky to have known him in the little corner of the WWW we're in here.

Another Ahab

Never my privilege or pleasure to know your Father, but a Seabee AND a hockey player? I tip a bias or two, but of course he was a good man.

I am very sorry; and my sincerest condolences, to family and friends.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a lovely, and lovingly written, obituary.

He was a fine fellow, and a pleasure to talk to, albeit always remotely in my case. I am sorry I never met him in person. I am grateful we got to share a little bit of his life, he will be long remembered.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am deeply saddened and my heart goes out to you and your family.

I have never read an obituary that made me smile until this one (not because he is gone but because of the kind of man he was). Talk about an artist with a long goodbye. I read the last part three times and I'm still smiling.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sincere condolences! The Obituary is a work of art! Thank you for sharing him! God's Grace and strength be with you!

God bless,
Tony and Aly

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am deeply saddened by Boatie's passing. He was really a founding member of the site-he joined when the site membership was probably in the hundreds and participated in most of those early, groundbreaking threads where the new community was trying to lay down a foundation of knowledge. He was knowledgeable about so many things beyond our hobby of antique military vehicles. He posted interesting stories about 150 year old New England homes, radio stuff, you name it.

His posts were well thought out, non hyperbolic and he was polite, even to fools.

I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better but words at times like this are powerless.

I speak for many here when I say that we enjoyed Boatie's presence and will miss him terribly.

For those newer members who weren't familiar, this is representative of Boatcarpenter's contributions to the site:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?14283-Double-your-air-double-your-impacts

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is without a doubt the greatest "Cyber family" in the world. While we all come from various walks of life we all share the same passion for our military vehicles.

Like all families we have our milestones. Birth and death are in the circle of life and when the latter comes too soon to a loved one we are saddened.

We can rejoice in the knowledge that our brother had a great life and that he was well loved and respected, not only in the MV community, but in all the others he was a part of.

Rest in peace Boatcarpenter. We'll look for you at the Steel Soldiers Rally in the sky.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Your family is in my thoughts and prayers at this time. My condolences for your loss. He was a great member here.

3dAngus

With a catchy name like that, I was attracted to see his post like a magnet on steel. I was never disappointed. He was indeed a character and well versed in all things. I feel like he could be my friend, but am convinced anyone could say the same, which makes him a rare one indeed.

That was just a super write up. I know your father is proud. Let him rest in peace. I know that with the influences, and the words and posts of so many of our members here, I am a richer person for it. He is one of the best of them. Thanks for letting us know. I missed him.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I never got to meet BC but we always threatened each other to do so. Just never worked out.

We shared several PM's over time and I'm sure he is with "HIM" and well taken care of.

MB and I will pray that all your hearts are healed quickly after such a loss.

jatonka

Your Dad and I were friends through this circle of MV collectors on Steel Soldiers, and we sat and talked together at MV shows through out the North East. I am shocked and so sorry he is gone. I grieve for your loss and pray for his peace in Heaven. I will never forget him and will always be around to help answer any questions you young men have on the M35. God Bless BC and you, John Tennis

Thanks and Deuce-related gear for sale

SS Community,

My brother and I want to thank you for your kindhearted response to the news about our dad's death (Prentice Colby, aka Boat Carpenter). I have returned to this thread often to take comfort in your words and in the rich network of connections that he had here.

You wont be surprised to know that much of our time with Dad was spent fixing things (or at least talking about fixing things). So when we browse through his correspondences with you all, it's like we get to spend time more time with him. That's a rare thing - something for which we're very grateful.

With the invaluable help of scooter01922, we have been cataloguing Dad's spares and deuce-related equipment. Now the time has come to find a good homes for much of it. So, the following items are located in Marlborough, NH and up for grabs. If you can, we would ask for fair value to be paid but are far more concerned with someone making good use of the things Dad accumulated than with making any money. Also, if you deal in Deuce gear or you're a a tinkerer with a big barn, you would be welcome to take the lot (or take a particular sub-category of parts).

I can meet you in NH anytime between July 30 - August 6 if necessary. If you want to pick up items outside of that window, I can arrange for someone else to meet you there.

Okay, here's the list (I have pictures of everything I can send upon request):

Pioneer Tool Trailer
- on M116 trailer
- this is a really neat set up; both my brother and I wish we had a use for it

3 small generators
- Model 016C
- c. 1978- 32 cubic inch, 4 cylinder gas engines (spinning freely)
- 2.5 KW / 300 lbs

Other small generator
- power unit model PE75AF
- Briggs and stratton 23 BHP
- 2.5 KW alternator

Spare Deuce Parts:
- spare radiator
- lots of spare bed hoops and canvas pieces
- C-type turbo (needs refurbishment)
- spare flame heater
- oil filter holders
- fuel pump with mounting kit
- parts winch
- various gauge panels
- air compressor (needs refurbishment)
- buzzer, brackets and supports
- various lights, switches and pressure valves
- master brake cylinder
- various PTO parts
- injection pump (American Bosch TMD - 580314)
- glove box with door
- passenger seat frame

Other Parts
- soft-sided food coolers/mermite
- stalwart-warner 30,000 BTU multi-fuel heater
- 2 radio sets
- Motorola C-847/U- Receiver/Transmitter
- RT 524A- Receiver R-442A
- various canvas bags and tool rolls
- CB radio with mounting plate
- Amplifier AM4979A/GR
- Loud Speaker LS454
- 3 Intercommunication units
- C-2298/URC
- 1 Intercommunication unit - C2296
- Amplifier
- AM1780
- 2 Ignition Kits - NSIV 28050117669
- Voltage regulator for 5KW gen set
- 4 jerry cans / 2 jerry can holders
- Briggs and Stratton generator (rusty)
- Test set - TS-2609A/V
- telephone set (Vietnam-era)
- various tin food containers

Gratefully,

Elijah Colby

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks