• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CT DMV

73duece

I took the truck to the DMV to get vin checked today. They looked at the number I put on the registration form to make sure it matched the one on the data plate. stamped the ticket, and gave me my plates. Exept the two hour wait in line it was the easiest vehicle I ever registered. No inspection, no nothing. Done deal.

BimmerPower

Banned
I took the truck to the DMV to get vin checked today. They looked at the number I put on the registration form to make sure it matched the one on the data plate. stamped the ticket, and gave me my plates. Exept the two hour wait in line it was the easiest vehicle I ever registered. No inspection, no nothing. Done deal.
I know this is an old thread but which Connecticut DMV did you go to? Is there one that is more military friendly than others? I was told to basically take a hike because my deuce was a "military vehicle" and not street legal. DMV's are unreal sometime...

Mudstone

just noticed there are some other CTians on here i'm located down south from you guys Bridgeport/Black Rock I been looking for a M35 for a while now... closest i can find at a reasonable price is OH... where did you guys get yours?

BimmerPower

Banned
I got mine at Fort Fogarty in RI. It was in great shape and so far drives like it should. If I were you I would constantly check GL every week in CT, RI, NJ, PA and NY (NY and NJ seem to have the most deuces out of the bunch) to see what they have. If they have something you think your interested in, take the trip down and have a look at the vehicle, see if it starts and drives. I paid $2,800 out the door with GL premium and tax.

You will have no problem registering the vehicle in CT either. No title is required but a bill of sale is. I had GL 2day mail me a bill of sale for the truck and put the classic car plates on the truck. Don't waste your time at the Norwich or Old Saybrook DMV. The guys at Whethersfield knew exactly what they were doing and helped me out big time.

If you have any more questions let me know. I'd be more than happy to help you out, check out the deuce or take it for a spin.

Mudstone

bimmer thank you so much. I've been looking online at clark truck idaho motorpool and army 6x6.com i looked on GL but they are all at ft drum and i'm afraid to end up with a truck i can't drive... also how does it work from there can you get temp plates to drive the truck home or do you have to tow it? i never dealt with GL before.

BimmerPower

Banned
bimmer thank you so much. I've been looking online at clark truck idaho motorpool and army 6x6.com i looked on GL but they are all at ft drum and i'm afraid to end up with a truck i can't drive... also how does it work from there can you get temp plates to drive the truck home or do you have to tow it? i never dealt with GL before.
From my understanding it depends on the GL location. Some some can drive out and some you need to have towed/lowboy'd out due o safety and security reasons. My deuce was waiting for me all warmed up and already topped off with all fluids and fuel (guess they were bored that day). If you're able to drive it home, what you will need to do is get a temp plate from the DMV and insurance for it. All it took me was a call to Hagarty ($125 a year) and a registration app with a copy of the invoice from GL acting as the bill of sale.

I personally would try my luck at GL making sure that I preview and inspect the truck carefully before I make my bids. That's what I did with my truck and I couldn't be happier. I also just picked up two trailers (M105A2 and a M332) yesterday sight unseen and lucked out to get two fine trailers.

Cheers!

Attachments

Mudstone

hmm... if you don't mind me asking... how much did you pay for yours? and where did you pick her up from? how much work did you have to sink in to get her running right?

Lex_Ordo

MudStone,
I'm just across the water from you. Anyway, I saw your question and wanted to let you know I bought my truck from a guy in NJ. He was fair and reasonable, and best of all it was cash and carry. I did have to wait about 6 weeks though to get a title from International Titles, but it worked out in the end since the make, model and year all matched the VIN on the data plate and truck frame.
So if you don't want to go throught GL, there is another source that is close enough.

BimmerPower

Banned
I believe I won the auction for around $2,300 and everything including tax and GL premium was $2,800. After getting insurance, registration and all my items for picking up the deuce (which I didn't use) I would say I paid $3,200 TOPS for a great running truck. Luckily I didn't have to do anything to it and paid a premium for the truck since it was local, had the super single tire setup and air-o-matic steering.

Be prepared to spend upwards of $200 to $300 for misc part for your truck (oil, tire chocks, fuel filters, air filter, oil filters, gear oil, a credit card with at least $3,000 available, a tow lowboy you can call etc. Better safe than sorry in my book.

I got mine in RI at Fort Fogarty. There aren't many that go there anymore but I would keep checking from time to time. There is an m35a2c airforce truck there now but it looks as if it is just for parts.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mudstone

bimmer just to let you know... you rock man... all this info now to convince the g/f that this is a good idea to purchase before moving to OK next year...

badgmc56

I took my M35A-2 to New Britain DMV for vin verification and had no problems at all. The inspecter took at look at it, shook his head and said "what are you going to do with this?" I told him parades, shows and Sunday driving. He just smiled! On a different note, the guys down south seem to get together often. We should do a gathering. I'm game.

BimmerPower

Banned
I took my M35A-2 to New Britain DMV for vin verification and had no problems at all. The inspecter took at look at it, shook his head and said "what are you going to do with this?" I told him parades, shows and Sunday driving. He just smiled! On a different note, the guys down south seem to get together often. We should do a gathering. I'm game.
Let me know if there's a meet anytime soon. I'm big into my cars (bmw m3 stage 3 turbo & Dodge SRT-4 stage 3 turbo :) ) and military rigs are a first for me. Better yet, is there a CT military vehicle club that anyone knows of?

badgmc56

I am a member of COMVEC. They had their annual show and swap on June 13th. I had posted and asked if anyone was going . If you go on the COMVEC site, there are pictures and video of the show.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The COMVEC show was pretty decent.
I think the next few shows in the next few weeks in the NE are the Norwich show in Northfield VT, the Weare show in Weare NH, and Gilbert PA in September.