• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV 01 finaly made it to hamburg germany

Nico

this m1009 was stationed in arkansas, little rock afb.
than showed up in texas at a electrition company called "grant electric"
used as a maintanance car. you can see a lot of cucv`s in the yard...(ss member?)
i discovered my cucv there on the "steet view" pix.
there she is next to the duce...

Attachments

Nico

i was searching for a m1009 with very little rust in a good condition...
so i found her at our nice neighbours in the netherlands and bought the truck.
the body is indeed mostly in a great condition...
but when i drove it back home to hamburg more and more failures showed up...

pix from the recovery at nl groningen:
IMG_0151.jpgIMG_0152.jpgIMG_0154.jpgIMG_0157.jpg

Nico

all at bad weather conditions...freezing cold day.
the truck won`t go above 90kmh/56mph, the fuel gauge was dancing around and showing 1:1 what`s going on in the diesel tank, the coolant reservior was cracked and empty, the whiper just stopped where you turn it off...sure, mostly in the middle of the windshield, the cab won`t heat up like i get used in my old m1009 and the horn wasn`t working.
what have i bought...? :cookoo:

IMG_0300.jpg

Nico

the repairs are done slowly because of the bad weather contitions the last weeks, but some problems are already fixed.
there is a big renovation congestion at this truck and i look forward to clear that.
so first i installed a new diesel fuel and air filter.
replaced the broken coolant reservoir.
the coold start was very rough so i installed a new set of ac delco g60`s
the short air hose on the heater blower was missing, installed a new one so i hope the heat up problem is fixed.
IMG_0174.jpg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Needs a day of debugging. They all have these issues. A solid body is the most important thing.

Nico

@NDT: sure i am a little spoiled because my old m1009 is technically pretty good...but the body...just the other way around. the new one will get the full fluid film treatment.

the cold start is still very rough and she smokes almost as much as my girlfriend,
so i ordered a set of 8 new orig. injectors
and a new glow plug controller card, right here form the classifids. great deal thank you guys.
the card works fine and if feels like the cold start is getting better...still black smoke.
i guess the new nozzels and a adustment of the injector pump will help.
i installed my hummwv tires and it raised my mood too, it looks fantastic.
View attachment 416261View attachment 416262View attachment 416263

Nico

IMG_0210.jpg

If the heater was bypassed, I'm going to bet the heater core was/is leaking.
bypassed? the rubber hose was missing and one end was pluged, one open as you may see.
the heater was working but a lot of cold air reached the inside of the cab. my right knee was ice cold after the trip home. since the truck is not registrated over here i was not able to check if it is working right now.

Last edited:

Nico

the m1009 loved the wd-40 treatment. the door cracking isn`t anymore and thanx to the advice of a ss member the whiper intervall is working again. cleaned up all contacts at the wiper motor and spayed all over the electric and joints. easy fix. :)
i replaced the defected diesel fuel gauge and cleaned the whole thing up. the transparent acylic glass is pretty clear again after a polish with toothpaste...i also like the fresh mint smell of the cluster now ;-)IMG_0226.jpgIMG_0245.jpgIMG_0420.jpgIMG_0447.jpg

Nico

i replaced the heater switch because of an advise of the "cucv electric" guys...my gen1 light was glowing dimly, i noticed in the dark at the way back home, on the autobahn.
"[SIZE=-1]If your GEN1 light is glowing dimly, but all charging circuits are normal, then the usual culprit is this switch, as it is directly tied to the GEN1 exciter circuit on the CUCV[SIZE=-1]."
and sure the gen1 is glowing bright w[SIZE=-1]hen i [SIZE=-1]fired her up[SIZE=-1] until i use the g[SIZE=-1]as...[SIZE=-1]the p[SIZE=-1]roblem is filling a[SIZE=-1] lot [SIZE=-1]ot threads.[SIZE=-1] so why shou[SIZE=-1]ld i be not a part of it.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
IMG_0410.jpg[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]i found [SIZE=-1]several ab[SIZE=-1]a[/SIZE]ndon insect [SIZE=-1]housings at the truck...texas im[SIZE=-1]port[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks