• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV - air conditioner transplant?

brazengoat06

I was hoping someone would say that. If everybody wants I can compile a list of all components involved. Including compressor I spent under $150

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack has 2 CUCV Blazers w/ dual alternators and airconditioning (one of them, the red one, used to be mine). Its a modern R134 setup for Border Patrol. Next time I'm over there I get pix. I have a thread on here somewhere with engine compartment pix.

brazengoat06

Retaining Dual Alternators
Parts List:
Sanden 8390 A/C Compressor $114 Ebay
Murray #10 Fitting #11610 $5 Oreillys
Murray #8 Fitting #11608 $4 Oreillys
1/4 inch steel bar stock $15 Home Depot (Cut Two Hexagon Shaped Brackets roughly 2.5 inchs in length)
Master Pro V-Belt (will try and get part number shortly) $5 Oreillys

Only thing I would recommend doing different would be to find a different sanden compressor that utilizes an oring style fitting versus a flare fitting.

epartsman

Has anyone successfully transplanted an air conditioning system into their CUCV? The one big stumbling block I forsee is of course the twin alternator setup, although there are mounts available that relocate either the a/c compressor or an alternator to the bottom side of the belt drive. I figured a system from a civilian Blazer could be used, or a Vintage Air setup (preferably the stock Blazer setup because you could use the factory controls). Not sure if the dual battery system will be in the way or not.

It gets pretty toasty down here in Louisiana and I figured it might be worth the trouble to try and make it work. Just curious what kind of a headache this might entail. Thanks 8)
My answer to this is I am transplanting a civy body since mine is literally falling apart by the minute. I drop rust bombs on the road as I travel. I have 2 gel cel batts that will fit in the front tray together with some cable mods as the a/c case is where the rear batt goes. Will need to move the power strips and mount them on a bracket, relocate the fuel filter to the same bracket, then buy the vintage air bracket kit and crank pully that installs the comp just under the r/h alt on a seaparate belt. The rest is all factory 87 Blazer. Just waiting on this years tax return to complete. If you search my build you will see pics of the donor vehicle. Gets pretty toasty in Florida too.

brazengoat06

The vintage air bracket is a total rip off. Make your own out of bar steel and a various collection of engine brackets that you can get from your local pick a part salvage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks